Friday, January 1, 2021

Changes (and other things)

I've never done a year in review post before. Nor have I ever done any sort of a goals, collecting or otherwise, post. I don't set personal goals, so the latter would be especially difficult to pull off. That being said, I do have some plans for this new year, and since some of them are blog related, I thought I might do a bit of a year in preview if you will (followed by some odds and ends - this going to be a long one).

I don't really know where to start, or in what order to do this in, so my apologies in advance if any of this feels disjointed.

I've talked about wanting to make changes to the blog title, the blog's content, and other things, off and on for what feels like years now. Some small ones have been made over the years, but never anything too drastic. I'd like to change that!

As card collecting continues to lose it's luster with me, I find my attention often turning elsewhere. Last year that meant returning to a past favorite of mine, reading. Prior to 2020, I hadn't read more than 10 books in a year in at least a decade, while 2020 saw me finishing... well, unfortunately I didn't keep track, but it had to have been at least 35-40 books, as most nights were spent reading. With that in mind, I'd really like to do more book related posts on here, and not just more "here's some books that I got" posts. I'm talking reviews, or at least what passes for a review in my mind, which could be interesting, especially since I haven't done a book review since grade school.

I can't recall if I've already talked about it on here or not, but a few months ago I finally unpacked all of my toy (or action figure if you prefer) boxes. Most of these boxes have been sealed up since my move to TN, which was almost six years ago now. Since I had to leave my good display case behind (it would've never survived the trip), I didn't have anywhere to display this stuff, so the boxes sat mostly undisturbed for all that time. In recent years though, I've acquired three display cases, two are up, and other, which needs some repairs, should be up and running by spring. With some places to display things now, I figured it was time to finally break into the boxes. Having just finished sorting my card collection, and weeding out quite a few unwanted things, I figured that I'd probably be able to do the same thing with my toys, and I was right!

I ended up with a couple of boxes worth of toys that I no longer needed. This process turned out to be much easier than I thought it would, it basically just boiled down to taking something out of a box, figuring out if this something that I hadn't seen in six years still stirred up any emotions, and if didn't, it went to the get rid of pile. As it turned out, a lot of stuff wasn't doing much for me anymore, a couple boxes worth of stuff even. There was however quite a few things that did still do something for me, things with stories attached to them that I'd like to blog about.

Stamps are another thing that I've "threatened" to start posting about more for years now. I'd like this to be the year that I start doing so. I took up stamp collecting in/or around 2008, and it indirectly led me back to card collecting a few years later, so for me they kind of go hand-in-hand now. And like with the cards, I went a little overboard with stamps, and now have quite a few that I no longer want. My stamp collecting has dropped off a bit over the last few years, but I'm planning on going through that collection this year and weeding out the unwanted stuff. The stamps have been calling my name, and I'm hoping that by honing the collection some, I'll be able to focus more on the things (i.e. countries) that I do still care to collect. Who knows, this process may even lead to the first all-stamp Free Stuff Friday? Will that be the least popular edition of Free Stuff Friday ever? I'm thinking so!

I have a few ideas for some new series' as well, although one of them has been rattling around for a while now, that being "From the Vault" (I'm not completely sold on the name yet), which would feature some of my favorite possessions (everything from cards to artwork). My mom recently came across a number of mostly forgotten family photos, which have all been really fantastic to see, especially since I had never seen a lot of them before. These photos have made me want to do my version of a throwback Thursday, although I came with a name for "something" Tuesday while laying in bed one night, and figured that there was no way that I would forget it by the next morning, and you know what? I forgot what it was by the next morning! "Partial Memories" is another series that I've been toying with, which would be just as it sounds, partial memories (I have a lot of those, about a lot of things) of an event, place, etc. If I do start doing any of these, it'll only be on a once per month basis, as some of them may require a little more time than usual to gather the accompanying items/photos, and to compose.

Seeing the recent changes (at least on the desktop version) that, Matt, has made to his primary blog, have made me really want to make some aesthetic changes of my own around here. Not being computer-minded will likely hinder this want though. I'm not going to tell you how long it took me to do what I currently have, but it was a lot longer than it should have. With the changes to content coming, I'm also going to be putting some effort into changing the title. I that a few people like it, but I've grown quite tired of it, I just can't seem to come up with anything else that I like. It would make things considerably easier if I could just start another blog, and move all of the non-card content over there. But I can't maintain two blogs, and even if I could, I'd probably just start posting on the other one and let this one fall by the wayside.

I guess too before I move onto something else, I should note that I'm not sure how soon these changes will come into play, as I have a number of commitments to attend to in the coming months, and am not sure how quickly I'll be able to do the things on here that I want to. Also, even though I've kind of already been doing it more the last month or so, my posting schedule from now on will likely be capped at two posts per week, and if all goes well, that number will probably drop to one per week by year's end. I'm not expecting most of these content changes to be very popular, so to counterbalance that, I'm going to make sure that at least one of my two posts per week will remain card related, or at least sports related.

**************************************

A rare-ish Reggie Roby popped up on Sportlots a few weeks ago, and I just so happened to be in the right place at the right time to get it. And when I say rare, I mean that I hadn't ever seen it come up for sale anywhere. Thankfully it's scarceness wasn't reflected in the price, as it only set me back a quarter + a buck for shipping. I was so nervous about wasting any time to purchase it, that I didn't even bother to look through the seller's other items. And speaking of the seller, a big thanks go out to jetcards, not only for listing it, but also for knowing how to properly ship a card, which is highly unusual for a seller on Sportlots.

Other than the fact that this is Reggie's only post career/tribute card, I know next to nothing about the 2005 DHL Miami Dolphins set. I have to assume that it's a regional issue, but beyond that... no clues! But honestly, I don't really care either, I got the one card from it that I wanted, and that's all that matters.

**********************************

In other life news, a falling piece of broken cement board siding tried to dash my brains out earlier this week. The corner of it did successfully open up the back of my head as I was leaning down to pick something up, and didn't have time to move. The only time that I ever wear hat is when I'm outside working, and that thin piece of fabric was probably the difference maker as far as me not needing stitches goes. It did bleed, but I was able to stop it by myself. I think I might've gotten a slight concussion too, as every time I stopped moving for the next day and a half, my surroundings did not. Inanimate objects moving around in your peripheral vision isn't as fun as it sounds, it's certainly no Disney movie, let me tell you! Other than the bump, and healing wound, everything seems to be back to normal now (or at least that's what the voices in my head tell me 😝).

*********************************

I've been spending more time on the TCDB lately, and am finally learning how to use most of the features. I got really bored entering my collection, or at least the parts of it that I was planning on entering, so I decided to switch to adding trade bait instead. This has been considerably more enjoyable, and I even have three deals in the works already, plus an announced RAK headed my way. I'm thinking that I should've figured out how to use the site much sooner. And I don't know why anybody reading this would want to, but if you ever wanted to look me up there, you can do so here

************************************

Did anyone have time off around Christmas? I did, and spent part of it painting the hallway. The trim around the doors still needs to be done, and possibly the doors themselves, but the hard part is done. I took a dozen photos trying to get one the color (pumpkin butter) to show properly, and wouldn't you know it, the one that came closest was in the one photo that I didn't mean to take? Oh well, what are you gonna do. 

**********************************

I've been seeing a lot of predictions for the new year, especially those of the card variety, in recent days, and thought that I'd add my one and a half cents. Contrary to many peoples hopes/predictions, I don't see this boom ending any time soon, and I'm talking years. Too many people have already "invested" too much money to let it falter that quickly. Like with most sucky things, it's gonna get a lot worse before it starts to get better.

I do see one positive outcome from all of this though, and that's with card shows, I think post-Rona, card shows are going to see a boom like they haven't since the 90's. After all, they're just another way to make money off of cards, easy money, at least for the promoters, so you have to know that folks are gonna try to capitalize on it. I obviously can't say how good all of these new shows will be, but if they start popping back up in areas that haven't seen any for decades, I would think that pretty much any show is better than no shows.

**********************************

And finally, I'm sure many of you have already heard, but China's gift to the world got another one this week, a good one!

Rest easy, Mary Ann.

*********************************

Thanks for taking a moment to skim through the page.

35 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Jon! I'm still not sure about when I think the boom will end, but I agree with you that it has the potential to last for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, John! The first boom lasted for quite some time, so there's no reason to think that this one will be any different.

      Delete
  2. Take care of that head!! Concussions caan get really bad. I like most of your ideas for changing up the blog. Some of them won't excite everyone, but maybe that's not the main reason to be writing, huh? I recently found a couple of old stamps hiding away in my stuff. Not nearly enough to call it a stamp collection, but they are kind of cool. I'd certainly go for a Free Stamp Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I'm fine. The headache and nausea weren't so bad, but that shifting scenery, well, that was kind of sucky.

      Free Stamp Friday... I love it!

      Delete
  3. You're not the only one branching out your blog into non-sports topics. Julie mentioned books recently, so maybe the card blogging world is shifting toward more affordable hobbies? Flippers, monopolies and overpriced product will do that that I guess!

    I'm not sure what changes (if any) I'll make to my blog or content in 2021. Guess I'll consider that when I take a vacation after my All-Time Teams series, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are the new cards! :)

      Hopefully you won't be leaving us for too long. I can't really participate with this hockey stuff you got going on, but am looking forward to your normal post when you get back to them.

      Delete
  4. RIP Mary Ann. Great post and I'm all for you branching out in your posts. I'm making an effort to read more books this year. I used to read quite a bit but collecting has taken some of that time away. I too always consider changes to the visuals on my blog but it scares me to try and change things. It's never as easy as I think it'll be. Look forward to whatever lies ahead with your blog in 2021. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book readin' is becoming more catchy than the Rona! Card stuff seems to take away from a lot of things, it's tough trying to find some balance. Format and layout type things are really difficult for me, that's why I haven't changed anything for years now.

      Delete
  5. Whoa... getting hit in the head sounds scary. Glad things have returned to normal. Congratulations on landing that Roby! I love oddball issues like that... especially when they feature nice looking designs. Hearing about Wells was a total bummer. One of my first childhood crushes for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more annoying than anything. A freak occurrence that just had to happen to me! It is a neat card, and one that I'm very glad to be able to check off the list.

      Delete
  6. I didn't do as much reading as I would have liked this past year but I'm always up for some non-baseball stuff on the blogs (esp. books)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like maybe you should have had it checked out. Head injuries aren't to be taken lightly.

    A friend of my father's dated Tina Louise back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, probably. But I don't like doctors, and I have tendency to make bad decisions, so...

      Lucky fellow :)

      P.S. If there's any more to that Tina Louise story, it could make for a good blog post.

      Delete
  8. My reading has slipped in the last few years. For the last few years I've tracked my reading/book collecting (somewhat) on goodreads.com. I usually try to read somewhere between 10-20 books a year, the last few years my numbers have gone down and for 2020 I only read 6 books with 3 or 4 of them being kids books so um yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my finished books were of the YA variety, but a book is a book! As the internet continues to creep further and further into everyone's lives, book reading appears to be declining across the board. It's too bad to, because the internet doesn't seem to be doing most folks much good.

      Delete
  9. When you have your stamp categories set let me know, I've got lots of stamps I can send you. Probably 1950-1980s range. Also looking forward to the vintage photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I though of you and your Wells Golden Age auto this week. It's one I wanted to pick up but it seems I waited a bit too long. Whatever the changes you make on the blog, I'll be here supporting you. I know I won't be alone. Hope the bump on your head heals quickly. Concussions are no joke. Happiest of New Years to you, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be thought of, even if it was only because of some trivial card thing. Her card was one of the higher run autos, so they've never really been cheap per se. But yeah, you'll probably have to wait a little bit for them to come back down again.
      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  11. Hope your head feels better!

    And I love this blog name. Honestly the best one out there. No offense to others.

    I look forward to seeing some fun non card posts. Honestly I am doing the same. Stay tuned for tomorrow post for example.
    It's not that I am tired of cards or dont have the content, i am so so far behind, but just wanted to do more.

    And before I redid my blogs layout, I had actually created another secret blog with that layout and all of this new content was going onto it. But couldn't do it. I was retiring SCC on Jan 1st and that was going to be my new blog. Problem is building a following and it's hard enough on cards over Coffee for that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much back to it's usual square-ish shape :)

      I know you do, but the name doesn't fit real well when doing non-card posts.

      Sounds like a lot of us are wanting to more non-card things, I love it! My blog reading would be considerably more enjoyable if stuff other than cards showed up more regularly.

      Coffee is slowly building, you just have to keep remembering that growing a blog audience isn't nearly as easy as it was pre social media.

      Delete
  12. Glad you weren't more seriously hurt from the cement board. Peace, and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might not still be here had it fallen from a greater height. Happy New Year to you, Bill!

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year and I just sent you a TCDB Friend Request! Sucks about your head, but 2021 is already starting off unlucky...or lucky....depending on how you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, Ryan! I got it, thank you. And yeah, unlucky that it hit me, but lucky that it wasn't worse.

      Delete
  14. Lots of well-wishes to you for 2021, Jon! Most importantly, here's to your recent physical wounds healing quickly.

    I enjoy the card-related content here, but I'd enjoy seeing some non-card content just as much. Action figures, books, stamps. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sending just as many well-wishes right back your way :)

      That's good to know. I'm expecting a drop-off in comments/views, but it is nice to know that at least a few people will try and read some of the new stuff.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jon! And who knows? Maybe there will be an opportunity here and there to tie in trading cards to some of these new posts.

      Delete