Sunday, November 21, 2021

Little help?

Quick post today...

I find myself in need of a couple of cards that I'm not even sure exist, or at least not in the format that I would like them to be in. I've done some searching, and have yet to come up with anything, BUT -- I also suck at the internet, so that may have hindered my attempts. And this, dear friends, is where you come in...

I am looking for a few cards that depict cities, namely Chicago, San Francisco, and New York City; in that order. Ideally these cards would show some chunk of the city, and not just one specific building/place. Also, I'm not looking for one of those stadium cards where it shows whatever stadium with the city in the background, I just want as much of the city by itself as possible. I would also prefer that the cards, if they exist, to be in standard trading card size format, although a tobacco card would work if it's the only option. These will be going into pages, so boxtoppers or any other larger sized items wouldn't be doable.

Please note too, that if any such cards do exist, I'm not looking for anyone to send them to me, I would just like to be pointed in the right direction. I know that this is a bit to ask, so I'll completely understand if folks don't have the time or energy to assist. Either way, I appreciate everyone who at least took time to click on the post. Thank you!

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, is anyone else having trouble loading blog posts from their blogroll? I've been trying to catch up on some reading and commenting, but I seem to only be able to see the 25-30 most current posts, as clicking on the "Load More" button isn't doing anything. I click and click, and nothing happens. I don't know what's wrong, but it's terribly annoying!

21 comments:

  1. My Load More button has stopped working, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it again, mine's working now after a couple of days of not doing so.

      Delete
  2. I don't like the "new" blogger. I was very unhappy when it was mandated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any real issues with it yet, but do still prefer the "old" Blogger too.

      Delete
  3. There's John Player & Sons Cities of the World, from 1900. It has 50 cards, including 6 U.S. cities, with the 3 you mentioned among them. But it's from 1900.

    It's listed on TCDB if you want to see if the pictures meet your requirements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that. Normal sized would be better, but at least these might be an option, one that I was finding on my own, thank you!

      Delete
  4. If I were to only be a mini-collection guy, one would be cards with elements of NYC buildings in the design. I've seen many NYC-related cards but offhand I can't think of one that is specifically the skyline. I'll give it a little more thought though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of surprised that you don't have a mini-collection of New York related cards!

      Delete
    2. How about movie sets? Maybe an Avengers card has a NY skyline somewhere?

      Now I am curious . . .

      Delete
    3. Check out NY and Chicago in this https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist.cfm/sid/114569/2015-Topps-Allen-&-Ginter---Keys-to-the-City?PageIndex=1#7865071

      Delete
    4. https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/75134/cid/8229681/2004-Upper-Deck-History-of-the-United-States---U.S.-State-Quarters-Cards-SQ11-New-York

      Delete
    5. Imagewise, that quarter card is the closest to what I was hoping for, but that quarter is terribly distracting. Now I'm off to check out the A&G set. Many thanks for the suggestions (and links), Bo!

      Delete
  5. The World Traveler box toppers are really neat - and there are cards of Chicago, San Fran, and NYC among other great cities - but they're definitely not standard size. I stumbled across them on COMC a few years ago and bought a bunch.

    Just tried following links at COMC and TCDB to see if there are smaller cards that would fit your criteria, but neither site was any help :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking anyway, Chris, I really do appreciate it! If I can't find anything else, these could be an option, I'd just have to give them their own lead-in page :)

      Delete
  6. I don't know if there are any skyline cards in the set but Upper Deck did an all Yankees set circa 2004 that has some scenes from the city. I bought the Times Square card after I went there.

    Also, 1994-94 Hoops has a shot of the skyline showing the Twin Towers but the Knicks logo is superimposed over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Knicks logo would be a disqualifier, but I will check out that Yankees set and see if there are any options. Thank you for possible lead, Billy!

      Delete
  7. I don't know about cards like that, but my blogroll loading seems to be working fine unlike most of what blogger offers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't even know how to use most of the Blogger functions, so I'd have no idea what is and isn't working properly.

      Delete
  8. FWIW, while the 1985 Mothers Cookies Candlestick Park card is definitely one of those stadium + city in the background cards, it *is* an aerial photo that shows like half of the entire city. Not sure I've come across any other SF trading cards though (besides the 1900 Players card there's a 1887 Ginter Flag card that also shows some "city" detail at the bottom). COMC does however have a bunch of playing cards that depict various California scenes (a quick search shows a possibly-promising Market Street image from 1907)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, in terms of Blogger weirdness, it's has stopped emailing me when someone replies to one of my comments which is really odd since I'm using a google address.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the referrals, Nick! I'll be looking into all of those. I've never had to look for any cards that feature images of cities before, and now that I am, I'm kind of surprised at just how few have been produced over the years.

      As far as your email situation goes, I don't know what to say, I used to get email notifications for every single comment that showed up on the blog, and nowadays I only get notified on about 25% of them. It's not a huge inconvenience, but still...

      Delete