Sunday, February 20, 2022

Only six more to go?

Unlike some of the cards in my previous post, I never set out to get more than one copy of Boog Powell's 1967 offering. However, when Bo, of Baseball Cards Come to Life! fame, provided the opportunity to acquire a few more on his blog couple of months back, I found myself unable to resist the temptation to do so.

And lest anyone accuse me of hoarding all of the Boog's, at least three days had passed from Bo's initial post putting these out there for trade, before I claimed them. You had your chance.

Boog has become one of my favorite people to collect over the last couple of years, but even with that in mind, I'd be lying if I said that this card was his most interesting. Although it might be more interesting if I knew who #55 there in the background was? I did a cursory search, and ended up with bupkis. Having only had one copy prior to getting these, I couldn't really envision what a whole page's worth might look like, but now that I have row filled in the Boog pages, I kind of like the idea of getting six more to complete a page. I feel like seeing a whole page of this goofball would make anyone smile? Don't believe me, wait until I get six more, and we'll put this theory to the test.

I'm sure that there's a few folks out there who are getting tired of seeing duplicates, and hearing me talk about duplicates. If so, good news, this'll be the last mention of them for at least a couple of posts, and even better news, Bo sent along a few more things -- none of which were duplicates... for me!
 
Here's another one of Bo's duplicates that he had put out there for any and all interested parties. I grabbed this for my burgeoning Hank Bauer collection Unbeknownst to me, it had even been autographed...

This is obviously a rare commodity, but I am open to offers. The bidding will start at $100,000. I mean after all, it's not every day that one comes across a Donald Aguirre(?) autograph :)

I knew of their existence from back in my COMC Challenges days, but didn't know anything about them until Bo did his couple of posts on the 1969 Globe Imports set last year; the first of which had more duplicates for trade [if you want to read an interesting post, go seek out the second one that Bo did on these]. I'm still not sure how I feel about these, on the one hand it's nice to be able to add some different items to player collections, but on the other, they are awfully flimsy, and obviously next to no money was spent on their printing. I guess they do have their charm, you just have to enjoy it VERY carefully. I do need a few more from this set, as well as a few from the non-sport edition, but I can't see myself ever spending too much money on one of these "cards".

It wouldn't be a mailing from Bo, without some matchbook covers added to the package. I don't think it would do much good, but I'd like to see more anti-littering messages on disposable packaging.

I found an old RC Cola bottle a few months ago while out putzing around the creek. It was upside down in the mud when I found it, unfortunately the top inch or so was broken off. It wouldn't really have been worth much (much less than that listing) intact, but I hadn't found any RC bottles in the wild up to that point, so it would've been nice to have had that one. A whole one that is.

These two were especially thoughtful on Bo's part.

The Kenmore Stamp Company has been around for a long time, and at one time they were held in some regard, but not these days. As the kids would say, they're shady af. I've never done any business with them, but I did have a few dealings with, Mystic, who's another long time stamp company. For those interested, Mystic is still on the up and up, but they primarily cater to newer collectors, so if you're looking for anything rare, you probably won't find it with them.

And although not shown, Bo also sent a bunch of cards that will hopefully make it onto the other blog at some point. It's been tough for me find any rhythm with that one so far (I'm currently stuck on a long biography/profile post that seems to have gone south on me), but as I said, I'm hoping that things will pick up over there.

My apologies to Bo for taking so long to give public thanks for these. Despite the length of time that it took me to get to this package, all of the contents were very much appreciated!

11 comments:

  1. Wikipedia is a great source for uniform numbers - #55 is coach Billy Hunter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Baltimore_Orioles_season#Roster

    Glad you enjoyed these! The PWE I just sent you doesn't have any matchbooks but does have a duplicate you didn't ask for, hope you don't mind.

    How often do you find 1960s-era soda bottles? I could see trading cards (or maybe something else) for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the info. I was trying to use The Baseball Almanac to find it, and wasn't getting very far -- which is probably much more on me, than it is them.

      I can't imagine that I would, thank you in advance.

      I find more 50's and early 70's than anything, but do find 60's bottles from time to time too. Even though I'm more interested in older bottles, I do still keep at least one example of each pre 80's soda bottles that I find. There are certain bottles that I come across all the time, and was getting so many extras that I gave a bunch to my mom to sell at a big sale she set up at last summer, all of which got sold. Although, despite this fall/winter being the worst stretch I've gone through, finding stuff wise, since I've been here, I have accumulated a few more Pepsi and non-skirt Coke bottles. I recently found out about two more (close) areas that I can go "garbage" hunting at, and am gonna try to hit both before snake and tick season get going.

      Delete
  2. The fake Boog? No. I still have plenty of original Boog's to track down. It may be a bit of a stretch, but ideally, I'd like to at least complete his playing days stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those matchbooks are really cool. I do not collect them myself, but there is an antique store near my in-laws house in Michigan that has a ton of them. They are always interesting to look at. Those last two are interesting, not the usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not technically collecting them yet, either. I always go through the matchbooks at the local antique mall, although I'm mostly just doing so to try and find interesting ones for Bo.

      Delete
  4. A. If I were going to do a 9-pocket page of Boog, I'd probably use his 1975 Topps card. One of my favorite cards from that era.

    B. That Pride of the A's card is cool. I'll have to track down an unsigned version.

    C. The 1969 Globe Imports example I have in my collection feels like it's printed on copy paper. It seems like it's a counterfeit, but then again... who creates fake Mike McCormicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nice card, and one that I don't even have a single copy of yet.

      I'll need another unsigned one too.

      They're legit, just very poorly made.

      Delete
  5. Got to love the graphics on those matchbooks. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete