Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Picking up scraps

Having not bought anything since early January, and no longer doing any trading, mail of the fun variety has pretty much stopped showing up altogether.

I do have two packages coming, but aside from those, I fully expect things to remain status quo for the foreseeable future. I'm not complaining though, as my heart just isn't in cards right now (which is part of the reason I started the new blog). That being said, I still find some joy in certain things from time to time, especially when looking through the duplicates that, Bo, of the somehow daily Baseball Cards Come to Life! (how he is able to post so frequently I will never understand), makes available for trade after each of his vintage baseball card lot purchases. Not working on sets anymore, there isn't as much for me to claim as some others are able to, but occasionally something in my wheelhouse will pop up, and so far, I usually have pretty good luck in getting those particular cards.

Despite it now being 2-3 months since my last envelope of claims arrived, it's still my last piece of card related mail to arrive, so I guess I can technically still refer to this as my most recent mail day?

The Gerry Staley up top is probably my favorite of the bunch, it was the only combo card that Topps ever did for him. If I was more motivated right now, I'd make more of a push to complete my collection of his stuff, as he's one of those guys who, not surprisingly, hasn't received a bump from the boom crowd. But I'm not, so hopefully no one else will discover how awesome he was before I feel like actively collecting again.

This color shift didn't scan very well, but you can still kind of see what's going on along the border, and even more so up at the team name. I don't know what was going on with the printers back in 1970, but they produced quite a few of these that year.

Don's a little rough, but it's a black bordered '59 that I didn't already have. I can always upgrade later if need be.

The first four cards represented my claims, Tim here was a card that I inquired about via email (Bo has a lot of '93 Donruss duplicates). I guess I sort of have a Tim Salmon collection going now, although for the time being I'm only seeking out specific cards. The image on this one isn't anything to write home about, but I love these red, white, and blue Rated Rookies. I've got Bret Boone already (which also came from Bo), and I think this was only other guy in the set that I would want who got one.

And finally, two suprise '61 Billy Muffett's. They definitely fall into the well-loved category, but both were still a welcome sight. I've lost track again of how many I have, but I think these two were added to the fourth page. That's at least 29 then, which isn't bad... I still need more though!

Many thanks again to Bo for the cards. It's always fun to paw through someone else's unwanted stuff, even if it is being done virtually. Unexpected Billy Muffett's are pretty good, too.

12 comments:

  1. I dig the "rated rooke" on '93 Donruss too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards, Jon! I actually had a brief close encounter with Don Newcombe (and Roy Campanella) at Dodger Stadium back around 1988-89.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, what happened? Inquiring minds want to know!

      Delete
  3. next time I comb through my 61' dupes, I'll see if I have any Muffetts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I probably wouldn't have anything to send you in return, so while I appreciate the thought, it wouldn't be beneficial to you in any way to do so.

      Delete
  4. I haven't been making a lot of card purchases in 2022 either. I'm all about bargains, so I don't even bother with eBay unless it's specific things I really, really want.

    I had never heard of Gerry Staley until today, but looked him up on Baseball Reference and you were right. Don't worry, I don't plan on tracking down any of his cards anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bargains are getting a lot harder to come by, at least for me they are.

      Even if you did plan to, I don't think you and I buying his cards would be enough to drive up the prices.

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked them! I had to look up Staley too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should've thrown out a few fun facts about him, that way no one would've had to go elsewhere to get the dirt.

      Delete
  6. These are some great cards. I love that Don Newcombe card. It's a great photograph, but I also like the black frame on the Reds card, the Reds logo, and the fact that Topps called them the Redlegs. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the black borders were Reds. The logo is very cool. And I'm not 100% certain, but I think '59 was the last year that they were called the Redlegs, or at least it was as far as cards go, I believe.

      Delete