Tuesday, August 30, 2022

For the price of a pack

Looking at my purchase history, I see that I've now only bought five things on eBay so far this year. I know that I didn't buy very much on there last year either, but unless something changes in the next few months, I'll be setting a new personal record for fewest eBay purchases in a calendar year.

Between the lack of items being listed, and the stupid high prices of those that are, I just don't have much incentive to look for things on there anymore. I still get my daily saved search emails from them, 90% of which I can disregard without even opening thanks to them showing the items price in the title. And as far random searching goes, I'm down to about once a month on that. Not bad, considering there was a time not too many years ago when I'd be on there every other day searching for this or that. I may not care for them too much as a people, but in some ways I'm very grateful to the boom crowd, as they've given me back some of my free time. As an aside, I recently learned how to do Sudoku, and a lot of this free time that I speak of has been going towards that. My time spent reading has really dropped off in the last couple of weeks, as I've found that those puzzles are quite addictive. I suppose though, if one has to get addicted to something, there's far worse things to fall under the spell of (like eBay). So, yeah, random searches are down. Searches with a purpose are way down too, although I do sometimes still see something on the blogs, something that I like, and go see if there's another availble somewhere for a decent price; something like this....

I'm pretty sure that either Eric or Fuji posted about this 2021 Archives Gene Tenace autograph sometime in the last few months. Apologies if it was someone else though, I tend to only associate those two guys with Gene Tenace. Not being one to keep up with the latest releases, I usually only find out about new things after seeing them on the blogs. Such was the case with this card. After whoever's post, I knew that I had to have one, so I went looking for one of my own. And after just a few short weeks, I was able to have one in hand.

Google tells me that the average price for a hobby pack of 2021 Archives is $6 (seems like a lot, but what do I know), which is almost exactly how much this card cost after the shipping and tax were added in. Considering that I didn't have to go anywhere to get it, nor did I have to buy any packs to try and get it, I feel like six bucks was a pretty good deal.

Having not been collecting at the time, I had to look it up to find out this card is on the 2002 Topps design, which, with it's orange-ish gold border, works really well with the photo of Gene that was used. Speaking of 2002, if I didn't know any better I'd have swore that I had gone back to then to make this purchase, as it took all of two days to get here. Granted, it was only coming from one state over (GA), but still, two days, when's the last time you got an eBay purchase in two days? The USPS hasn't moved mail like that since probably... 2002!

As far Gene Tenace goes, I recently added what I have of him to a binder. I knew that I didn't have a lot of his cards, as it turned out though, my collection of him is even more meager than I had previously thought. I think I'm gonna have to try and do something about that.

20 comments:

  1. 1. Great card!
    2. Excellent price for it. Let the gamblers buy the boxes/packs and buy singles at a reasonable price.
    3. "I usually only find out about new things after seeing them on the blogs". Same here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Yeah, now if I could just remember who showed it off first...
      2. Even with all of their money, I don't envy those people.
      3. Good to know that I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  2. Good deal for sure. Tenace is an underrated player. And his full name is Fury Gene Tenace. Bonus points there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently read a piece on the overuse/misuse of the word "underrated". It was pretty interesting. In it, the author pointed out that a lot of time when people use 'underrated', that they should in fact be using 'underappreciated' instead. Using the authors logic, since Gene was held in high regards by his peers and knowledgeable baseball fans of the time, he wouldn't be considered underrated -- but having now fallen into somewhat obscurity with the passage of time, would instead be underappreciated by modern fans. At least that's what I got from the article.

      Delete
  3. I think those 2002 Topps designs are underrated. Although that could be because its the last design before I got out of the hobby for almost 20years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been away for 2-3 years by then, and only just saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. I think it's one of Topps' better post-2000 designs.

      Delete
  4. Excellent card!!!

    Love Gene Tenace!

    Sudoku puzzles are a blast! Back in 2020, while I was teaching virtually, I had a group of students who used to do the Easy New York Times puzzle each day and race. Puzzles are not my strong suit, so I regularly got embarrassed by a bunch of 9 year-olds. Still fun, great way to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I know!

      To be fair though, I'm sure that you had a bit more on your mind than those kids did.

      Delete
  5. Cool card. Never learned Sudoku. I'm more into Quordle lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Quordle. I suppose I'll have to go look it up now.

      Delete
  6. Good price. You would have been pumped to pull it from a pack, but chances are you wouldn't have, so smart to just go and buy it and "pull" something you know you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no luck with packs anymore, so there's no way that I would've ever pulled this card. If I did buy some packs, and did somehow manage to pull an autograph, it would undoubtedly be of someone lame... like Mike Trout :)

      Delete
  7. I probably have some extra Tenaces to beef up your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If so, just know that since most of his cards are inexpensive, I would be caring about the condition on them.

      Delete
  8. Nice Tenace card and yes, it is getting harder and harder to find any good cards at decent prices. They just don't make them like they once did and for myself that is another reason why I won't pay high prices because those cards are just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't pay high prices for two reasons: A). I don't have a lot of play money anymore, and B). Mentally, I'm still stuck on pre-boom prices, and just can't bring myself to accept the current boom prices.

      Delete
  9. Definitely the correct way to play this. I love the archives sigs but only ever buy the specific ones I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the way that most of us real folks have to play it.

      Delete