Saturday, September 24, 2022

Birth of the Cool

The title of that old Miles Davis album seems like an apt way to describe this card, doesn't it? 

Dave's was a name that I knew very early on, but he didn't look like this anymore when I first started collecting. By then he was older, and bulkier; a trend that would continue to increase as the years went on.

Vintage, or in this case, semi-vintage, cards were not a part of my childhood. They were around, I just didn't pay any attention to them. Because of that, I didn't see this one, or pretty much anything else pre- '87/88 until I returned to collecting a dozen or so years ago. Looking at this one now, I think it's safe to say that I missed out on quite a bit as a kid.

The desire to start collecting Dave Winfield has been strong in recent years, and has increased even more in recent months. He has a LOT of cards though. And I really don't want to start another player collection. That being said, I'm kind of compromising with myself at the moment by just seeking out certain cards of his. 

This '78 was tops on my list of most wanted Winfield cards. I was able to cross it off of said list thanks to, Jim, the 'loather of all things upper case' behind, cards as i see them.

Accompanying Dave, was this '89 Pro Set Reggie Roby. I have a "few" copies of this card already, but it's one of my favorites of his, so I don't mind getting another one. I haven't looked yet, but I'm thinking too that this one might even be nicer than the one that I have in my RR collection, in which case it'd be doubly appreciated.

Many thanks to Jim for taking care of that Winfield, and for not going overboard with the mailing. It's always nice when I can get the joy that comes from receiving a package/PWE, but then not have to spend a bunch of time putting stuff away as a result of it.

And on an unrelated note, which I forgot to mention in the last post, a fellow called, Jeremy, returned to blogging a couple of weeks ago after having not done so in almost a decade. He's from before my time, and I suspect many of yours as well, so if you've got some more room for another blog to read (and support), you might want to go check him out over at no one's going to read this blog. Maybe even say hi if you're so inclined.

16 comments:

  1. It probably doesn't get talked about enough. Kind of Blue does, and deservedly so. Bitches Brew does, for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice of the former GCRL! Winfield's athletic ability can't be understated--he was obviously outstanding in multiple sports, though I mostly remember the tail end of his career while I was growing up too.

    I'm always glad to check out new (or in this case returning?) blogs and think it's very cool of others to promote them so I'll make sure to look at Jeremy's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that we're around the same age, so that would make sense.

      Now, if we could just get a few more of the old-timers to return...

      Delete
  3. I'm sure that I have a bunch of Windfield dupes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have a bunch of dupes of just about everybody :)

      Delete
  4. I was pulling '78s like Dave Winfield out of packs in '78! I also know Jeremy's blog well, as I was blogging when he was regularly updating his. ... Yeah I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got tons of Winfields to trade if you ever want, mainly Yankees. He was one of my favorite Yankees when I first started watching baseball, I was very unhappy when they traded him. I don't remember him getting much wider, he seemed to always be in pretty good shape throughout his career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall him getting bigger, but who knows, maybe I'm misremembering.

      Delete
  6. Best sideburns on a baseball card! Change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, so you might just be right.

      Delete
  7. I probably didn't see that 78T Winfield until the late 80's... maybe when I started working at my LCS. And although I owned his 81F card, the first card I remember actually owning and treasuring was an early 80's Fleer card featuring him and Reggie.

    P.S. Wasn't familiar with that blog, but appreciate you sharing the link. I'll add him to the reading list right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good of you to do, as that'll ensure that eyes get put on his posts.

      Delete
  8. Don't think I've seen that Winfield before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you're in love with it now that you have, right? :)

      Delete