Friday, October 21, 2022

I know that name from somewhere

I've made a few purchases this month. Actually, scratch that, I've made more than a few purchases this month. Probably more than I should have. 

I don't keep track of such things, but I've probably acquired more cards this past month than the previous two years combined. Sportlots adding their new non-sport category to the site has been like siren song to me, I just can't seem to resist checking out all of the new stuff that keeps getting added every day. And the cheap prices haven't been helping either. I've been knocking off wants left and right, many of which had been highly sought after (by me) for years now. 

A lot of the things I've been getting have been available on COMC, unfortunately they're often being sold by people who think that just because they have the only one on the site, that any interested parties will be willing to pay 20-30 times more just because it's the only one available. I'm not that kind o buyer. I can easily pass up fifty-cent cards with $20 price tags on COMC, but apparently have no willpower when it comes to those same cards when they have a twenty-cent price tag on Sportlots. So, the bad news is that I've been spending more money than usual this month, but the good news is that I won't have too many more modern (post 1980) non-sport wants after everything that's been bought shows up. I'll probably be able to get back to my normal routine of one or two purchases a month come November.

Given that I've probably already bought over a hundred cards so far this month, I highly doubt that I'll ever get around to discussing the majority of those on here, but I did want to cover at least one small order, if only because I was so pleased with the cards themselves, the way in which they were packed, and the quickness in which they were received. The seller who managed to complete this trifecta is called Triplutz, although the outside of the envelope said WaxPackHero, which is a name that sounds terribly familiar, but I can't seem to place where I've seen/heard it before. For the time being, I'll just assume that it's one that I've seen on the TCDB; I don't have enough time to be racking my poor overtaxed brain over such things.

Despite my going on about non-sport cards for the last ten minutes, astute observers may have noticed a very non non-sport card leading off the post. Well, yeah, there are some sports cards being added to these orders too, plus blog psychology dictates that a post whose first image is baseball related will generate more clicks than one that starts with a non-sport card. Think I'm lying? Go through this post and tell me which card would've garnered more mainstream attention than that nifty Classic Bo (and other guys). 

I haven't seen any on the blogs, so I'm not sure if either card company still does it, but I really miss card backs that compared the stats of certain players like this. Is it just me, or do we never hear about Ruben Sierra anymore? That was quite a season he had back in '89. He led the A.L. in RBIs, slugging %, total bases, and led the majors in triples. He finished second to Robin Yount in the MVP voting that year too. And looking at the numbers, one could make the case that he should've won it. He put up very similar numbers two years later, finishing 8th in the MVP voting. Though, Ripken was the clear winner that year, and it doesn't even look like there was a close second. 

This is just a neat card all the way around.

With Topps getting the NBA license back, I can't help but wonder if they'll do another Archives set for basketball again. I suppose they could an NFL version now, too. Sounds like it's tailor-made for more cards featuring the '87 baseball design. Because that's what everyone is clamoring for, right? Right?

I probably had multiple copies of both versions of this card way back when, but those are long gone. At least I now have the gold one again.

Hey, it's my first ever Wacky Packages of any kind! And hey...

... here's my second! I've been trying to get some of the monster themed cards from the various WP sets for what seems like years now, and have had zero luck in doing so; until now. Granted, these are only from the 1991 set, but still, I finally got two off of my list. I like how "Vlad Bags" rolls off the tongue, but since my world still revolves around videos, blank tapes included, I think I appreciate the effort that went into designing "Mummorex" just a little bit more.

It's a bit hard to tell, but these are both 5-Stripers. The Wild Card Stripes are the devil of any collection that features a player from the early 90's. These may be the lowest on the stripe totem pole, but even so, I'm very glad to have them out of the way.

Some "influencer" out there must've done a thing about 80's title cards, because they sure have jumped in price over the last few years. Enough so that it couldn't have happened on it's own. It would've been nice to know that it was coming so I could've tried to finish my collection before the influenced were told to buy en masse. I still need about a dozen from the 70's through the 90's, this having been one of them. Thankfully, this guy had it listed for a pre-boom price.

I know that there are other people out there who collect every single player that I do. I'm not foolish enough think that any of them are that obscure. But, I do wonder sometimes if there's a collector out there for each and every celebrity and/or comic character that I collect. Sentinels are a perfect example of this question, I mean I'm sure plenty of people have Sentinels cards sitting in sets, but does anyone else have just a Sentinels collection? I do, though it is only a couple of pages worth of cards. This one was an upgrade for me. My old copy didn't fare so well in the box that it had been sitting in during my ten-plus year hiatus from collecting. A couple of moves probably didn't do it any favors either.

Sherri Martel... prrrrrrrr. I know I'm not alone when I say this, but Sherri Martel was one of my earliest crushes. I loved everything about her as a kid, or at least what little I knew about her way back when. It probably didn't hurt too that she was one of those rare women that just kept getting better looking with age. I also appreciated then, and even more so now, that she was always willing to mix it up with the guys. Looking back, she took some crazy bumps (and what other woman was jumping off the top of cages at that time!), unfortunately some of those crazy bumps are probably what led her to become addicted to pain pills and alcohol, which undoubtedly contributed to her untimely death. She doesn't have nearly as many cards out there as she should (a lot of them are modern parallels), but even so, it's always nice to be able to add a new one to my modest collection of hers.

Triplutz is one of those sellers that offers free shipping to a Sportlots box, which I will probably be taking advantage of in the very near future. The only reason I didn't do so this time was because not all Sportlots sellers are created equal, and I wanted to know how accurate this fellow is with his descriptions before placing a larger order with him (which is my standard operating procedure for that site). This guy obviously knows his stuff, so if you're ever inclined, you might want to take a look through his offerings. You won't be disappointed.

12 comments:

  1. I (up until this month for obvious reasons) usually order from Triplutz every week, yes, for years now. He is a great seller, reasonable too. I do actually have a card from him sitting in my cart, but I will wait until I have 50 or so from him to send to my box. on to subject 2: If you wanted some Wacky's all you had to do was ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must add new stuff fairly often then, I'll have to try and remember to check his store more often. And as far as the WP's go, I'm only looking for certain ones, a fewof which seem to be on the harder to find side. And asking people for random things is not something that I'm overly comfortable doing.

      Delete
  2. WaxPackHero does sound familiar. I'd love to see more cards with stat comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did for a split second think that it was you sending me something, but the address wasn't even close, and then of course you use your name when mailing, so...

      Delete
  3. When I saw WaxPackHero, I immediately thought of this YouTuber... but it turns out that he's Junk Wax Hero. A quick Google search revealed there's a card blog called Wax Pack Hero... which I've actually seen before (but my memory sucks).

    I'm pretty stoked that Sportlots has non-sports cards. I've already found a few singles I need for set builds. I think I'll wait a little longer for more people to add inventory, so I don't have to buy from several dealers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look it up, as I'm not familiar with that blog, at least I don't think that I am.

      I've been a bit surprised by how much has already been added to the site, but I'm guessing that there's still a lot more to come.

      Delete
  4. I do not collect non-sport cards, but I like a lot of non-sport card stuff, like movies. Feel like I am really missing out in life. Might have to pencil that into a "To-Do List" at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully your schedule will ease up at some point. I would hope that you're not gonna try to keep this kind of pace until retirement.

      Delete
  5. I loved Ruben Sierra on the Yankees, he was so much fun to watch, such a powerful swing. I'm just about the only Yankee fan who thinks so . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I saw a couple of games against the Mariners when he was a Yankee, but don't remember any specific things.

      Delete
  6. Triplutz is https://waxpackhero.com aka Mike Sommer who's a good follow on Twitter and probably the only guy out there who's in the flip game and isn't an obnoxious ass. He specializes in picking up huge collections and then listing on sportlots. He'd rather sell a hundred 18¢ cards that he grabbed for pennies than get caught up in chasing the big flips and I'd rather spend the extra dime per card to pay someone to sort through and sell me just what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I know why the name sounded so familiar, you were just talking about him in a recent post. Thank you for solving the "mystery". I should be able to remember him now.

      Delete