Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Why?

Political figures have been appearing on trading cards since the earliest days of cards themselves. And while I think that most of us can agree that politics are pretty ugly, you'd be hard pressed to find a card - and I use that term very loosely - featuring someone from that world that's any uglier than this...

Admittedly, I have no idea who Scott Walker is, nor do I care. This is an instance where it doesn't matter which letter of the alphabet he has in front of his name, as neither would be able to improve this monstrosity. The signature is laughable, and the "cut" is a joke. A company called Decision 2020 made this thing, and if this wasn't a subsidiary of Tri-Star, they sure went out of their way to make it look like it was.

And in case you're wondering how it is that I happened upon this abomination, blame eBay. Apparently my recently buying autographs of Gene Tenace and Corin Nemec were enough to trigger the site's algorithm, and now it's recommending all sorts of silly things that have been signed; including this.

16 comments:

  1. Apparently it's a Leaf product. Scott Walker was the governor of Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that makes sense then. If anyone was going to out-ugly Tri-Star, it'd be Leaf.

      Delete
  2. An ugly card is very appropriate for such an ugly soul. He primarily focused his term as governor on harming workers, restricting individual rights, and destroying the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may claim otherwise, but in the end, isn't that what all politicians do? Nobody ever benefits from their policies except for them and theirs.

      Delete
  3. I hate that kind of "cut" signature. If it was a signature from a check or a letter I'm a little more accepting but taken from an autographed photo or another card a big hairy NO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really dislike the idea of cutting things up to make them into "cards", but they do tend to look slightly less terrible when the signature was sourced from a letter or check.

      Delete
  4. "I have no idea who Scott Walker is" lucky you, he was awful, so as previously mentioned, he deserves a terrible card like this one, and I also don't get cuts getting made like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the time, or interest level, to keep up with politicians from states that I don't live in.

      Delete
  5. Doesn't lend anything to Beckett's credibility as an authority on grading or authentication, either

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is so bad... I like it. I mean... I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks for it. But if I found this in a dollar box, I'd add it to my collection just to make me smile/laugh when I'm having an off day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the best reasons to buy a particular card, even this one.

      Delete
  7. I had to go look this guy's signature up to see if it was a one-time, really bad day signing something. Nope, this is the standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have the forethought to do that, but I'm not surprised to hear it.

      Delete