Thursday, August 31, 2023

Hey Joe

The Oakland A's were in Cleveland for a three-game set from April 23-25, 1976. The first game saw Dennis Eckersley get the win over Vida Blue as the Indians managed a 3-0 victory. 

For the second game, on Saturday the 24th, Cleveland went with the veteran, Fritz Peterson, while Oakland trotted out their young right-hander, Mike Norris. The Indian batters overwhelmed the future one-year phenom from the get-go, scoring two runs in the 1st, and two more in the second, which were enough to end the youngster's day after just 1.1 innings pitched. Oakland responded in kind by scoring five runs in the 3rd inning, which included a 3-run HR by Don Baylor. Four of those came off of old Fritz, which were enough to chase him out of the game. The A's padded their lead by adding another run in the 4th to make it 6-4, but Cleveland wasn't ready to call it a day yet, as they would score a run in the 7th, and two more in the 8th to take a 7-6 lead into the 9th. Oakland wasn't done though. With two outs in the top of the 9th, Tom Buskey walked Claudell Washington, and then Joe Rudi made him pay for that mistake by conjuring up some of his old postseason magic and hitting a two-run homer that wound up ending this slugfest in the A's favor, 8-7. The win ended a four-game skid for Oakland as well. Five pitchers were used by each team, with Rollie Fingers gave up two runs but was still able to pick up his second win of the early season (he'd go on to win 11 more). Tom Buskey was given the loss for Cleveland.

The A's cruised to a 9-1 victory on Sunday to close out the series. Mike Torrez got the win over Pat Dobson. Joe Rudi hit another 2-run homer as well, this time in the first inning.

Despite the game's overall insignificance, I bought this ticket stub earlier this year thinking that it would be a fun addition to my Joe Rudi collection. He did after all have a bit of a moment. Once shipping and taxes were factored in, I paid roughly the same price that the ticket originally cost. Initially, it felt like a bad (but cheap) purchase, but after reading the play-by-play (twice now), looking at in with Joe's cards a few times since, and now writing about it; I find myself being rather pleased with this get, and could easily see trying to add a few more tickets to his collection.

In addition to the ticket, I added two more cards to the collection earlier this year as well...

I paid seven bucks for this 2001 Archives autograph back in March(?). It seemed like a good price, and I was looking forward to getting it. Once in hand though, I was a little less enthused. Topps must've used an industrial buffer for the surface on these. It is so shiny. Too shiny for my liking. When I look at it, all I see is gloss; which isn't very 1969-ish. I think I would've been much more content with just getting the original version of the card signed.

Now, here's a fun one! I probably overpaid for this 1977 Hostess error, but it's pretty unique, so this was one instance where I didn't mind doing so. The lettering is all misplaced, but the double-negative effect is the real star of the piece. It almost looks like Joe's soul is beginning to ascend (knock on wood that Joe still has many more years left on this plain), which seems even more appropriate given the team. I would've loved to have seen/gotten this panel before it was cut, but this card was the only one available. And for those curious, the back is completely normal. I can't say enough good things about this purchase. Despite the food (Twinkie?) stains, and one small wrinkle (in an unimportant place), I was more than happy to pay a little over $5 for this particular copy. I can't imagine that there are too many more out there like this.

My Joe Rudi collection, though not being overly impressive in terms of numbers, has become one of my favorite player collections in recent years. I don't add items to it nearly as often as I would like, but that just makes it all the more better when I do.

12 comments:

  1. Those Rudi's are nice, especially the misprint. I've been beefing up my Rudi PC as well lately via TCDB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're adding considerably more than I am by going that route. It really is the smarter way to go.

      Delete
  2. For a brief moment, based on the title of this blog post, I thought that was going to be a ticket stub to a Jimi Hendrix concert. A Joe Rudi archives autograph is just as groovy, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the only title that I could come up with. And I don't think that I could afford a Hendrix ticket stub even if I wanted one.

      Delete
  3. Now now, you must certainly try to locate the other cards from that panel. That specific panel. You know they are out there. They are calling your name. They would like to reunite with their buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a sweet ticket stub and great addition to your Rudi collection! I have a big container of them, fun items to look at and reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counting this one, I now own all of five ticket stubs; all of which have been bought this year.

      Delete
  5. That Hostess card is fun, never seen one quite like that.

    An idea for the ticket would be to print out the original newspaper recap article, put that in an album with the ticket and a Rudi card, maybe even a '76.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good idea. It certainly would be enjoyable to look at. Right now it's just in page with the rest of his cards.

      Delete
  6. Interesting misprint. Looks like the black plate was misregistered on the front. That would've been a wild package in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole panel would be neat to have, but if the whole box was screwy too, then that would've really been something to see.

      Delete