Tuesday, May 24, 2016

TTM Triumph #23: Alan Young (R.I.P.)

I was surprised to see that Alan Young passed away last week at the age of 96. I say surprised only because, for someone that age he still seemed pretty active and lively, he also seems to have continued honoring all of his fans autograph requests right up until the end.

I had originally intended on sending a photograph, but due to my procrastinating ways, that didn't end up happening. Instead I sent one of Gavin's customs that I got as part of our trade a couple of months ago. I got this back in late February (I think), but just hadn't got to it yet due to a backlog of successful returns.

He ended up signing the back of the card, which wasn't ideal but, an autograph is an autograph, so I was still very grateful for the return:


And the front:


I'm not going to cover too much of his lengthy career here, as there are plenty of sources currently floating around for such info. I will say that I was pretty disappointed with the lack of attention his passing received, I mean we wouldn't want to celebrate the life of someone who entertained multiple generations of people, when we can instead give days of front page coverage to some reality show nobody.

I wanted to link up an episode of his radio program, but the only one on YouTube doesn't really represent the show very well (my opinion). I have a couple episodes on cassette that would have been much better to use here, but even if I had right equipment, I still probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to get it loaded on to here.

Even though it's a little late, I would still like to send a big thank you out to Mr. Young. I would also like to say thank you for your body of work, which brought much joy to millions (probably much more) of fans over the years.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

4 comments:

  1. That custom by Gavin is awesome! I honestly had never heard of Mr. Young until this post, but I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is in agreement as to how great Gavin's customs are. You may not have been familiar with his name, but I'm sure you had heard or seen some of his work before (Duck Tales, at the very least?).

      Delete
    2. Lol... I've heard of Duck Tales, but never really watched it. Although... I vaguely recall the cartoon theme song. I do remember watching Mr. Ed from time to time when I was a kid.

      Delete
    3. See, you were aware of some of his work.

      Delete