Sunday, January 8, 2017

Puddin' Head

Today's post will sort of be piggybacking yesterday's, in that it's another card from the recent COMC shipment that was gotten just because.

I might as well start with the back on this particular card, since that's what caught my attention while doing the challenges a couple of months back:

I'm not usually the sort to buy a card based solely on someone's name (insert funny name here), or in this case, someone's nickname. But with a nickname like "Puddin' Head", I had to make an exception.

I hate to admit it, but before seeing this card, I wasn't familiar with Mr. Jones in the least.Willie was a 15 year veteran who finished his career with a .258 BA, 190 HR's, and 812 runs batted in. Statistically speaking, he is considered the best fielding third baseman in the National League during the 1950's, having won led the league in fielding percentage five times and putouts for seven years (which tied the record). A two time all-star, Willie was also a member of the famous 1950 "Whiz Kids" Phillies team that won the National League Pennant (their first in 35 years), who then went on to face the Yankees in the World Series, losing 4-0.

As for the nickname, according to the crazy good website that is Stuff Nobody Cares About, he received it as a child after a song that was popular in the 1930’s called Wooden Head, Puddin’ Head Jones.

And in case anyone's curious, the above 1949 Bowman rookie of Mr. Jones set me back $3.49 in earned credit.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

11 comments:

  1. Old time nicknames are the best nicknames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they just don't make 'em like they used to!

      Delete
  2. I based an entire player collection on the nickname! I wanted to start one of an interesting player from the 50s so I could get specimens of cards from that era. So I chose ol' "Puddin' Head". Didn't know much about him either. Granny Hamner took second place....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting a player collection based on nickname seems like a pretty unique idea, I can't imagine too many other people have done that. I would be curious to know if you were able to complete that collection or not?

      Delete
    2. Well like I said, it was the determining factor in picking a player from the 50s...
      I still need a '54 Bowman, a '60 Leaf, and several local issues and alternate versions of a few things (with or without the ad tabs, etc.) But I have the other Topps and Bowmans at least, and a few others. I can post scans to my blog if you'd like to see them - thecollectivemind.blogspot.com.

      Delete
    3. I would love to see them! And being unaware of your blog up until now, I really appreciated the link. Looks like I have some old posts to start reading through.

      Delete
    4. OK, have a couple trade posts to put up and then I'll do it.

      Have been dabbling for years, but hope to become a legit blogger this year.

      Delete
    5. I will look forward to seeing them.

      I hope so too!

      Delete
  3. Puddin' Heads are posted! http://thecollectivemind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete