Thursday, March 22, 2018

Bookstore Bonanza #3

It's hard to believe that it's been three months since I last did one of these. It's also hard to believe that it's been three months since I last hit the Book Cellar, but according to the date of my last post in this series, that's how long it's been... time flies etc. etc.

As usual, this will be an all VHS post, especially since that's my primary reason for going to this particular bookstore. Although I did actually find a couple books of interest during this most recent trip, but with so many in my "to read" pile (more like shelves) already, I decided to pass on them as I have no idea when or if I will ever get around to reading them, and unread books do tend to take up a lot of shelf space that could easily be used for something else.


This is one of those "flew under my radar" kind of movies. I suspect that I'm not going to like it, but I certainly don't mind taking a chance for fifty cents.


Hadn't seen this in quite a while, definitely not one for the kiddies... although I don't know what Charles Bronson movie would be :)

Somebody wasn't kind!

I have only seen this picture once, and I didn't particularly care for it. Now granted that was right after it came out on video all the way back in 1995 (god, has it really been that long?), and I watched it over at a friend's house with his family -- and his dad, who was a really great guy mind you, but he had the terribly annoying habit of talking through entire movies -- so my one viewing of Johnny Mnemonic may have come under less than ideal conditions. I also didn't remember the tape being orange in color, which even after 23 years (23 years!), is still really freaking cool.


Haven't seen it, but it looks really good. No matter how hard I try, I'm never going to be able to catch up on everything that came out before I was born.


This is the pilot movie for the short lived television series. Life lesson #839: You can never go wrong with Carl Weathers!


Here we have one those "how come I didn't already own this" kind of films. I have like half a gillion (yes, gillion) movies across multiple formats, but somehow I didn't own Bullitt... that's just embarrassing!


Of all the tapes that I got the other day, this was the one that I was the most excited to find. I have been wanting to see this movie for quite a while now. I can remember reading about this film in a book (just don't ask me which book), and being most intrigued by the plot (it's not your average psychic tracks a killer picture, there's a twist!), but I just hadn't ever come across it anywhere... until now. I have wanted to see it for so long that I'm almost afraid to watch it, which I realize might sound a little silly to some, but I just really don't want to be disappointed by it after all this time.

No synopsis on this one, as everybody should already be very familiar with it. I have multiple copies of The Great Pumpkin, but I didn't have one in an orange clamshell, so... now I do!

All in all, this turned out to be another really solid outing, if I don't say so myself. Found a couple of neat things, including something that has been long sought after, added some new blood to my ever dwindling "to watch" shelves, for me it just doesn't get too much better than that.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. Love the VHS posts. One of my students bought me the Charlie Brown Holiday DVD set. Haven't watched It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown in years. Gonna try to remember to bring the set home over my Spring Break and binge watch all of the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the amount of views on these posts, you're definitely in the minority as far as people liking the VHS posts go. It's funny too, because these, and some of the other non-card stuff, are the only posts that I really enjoy doing.

      I envy your apparent ability to watch season specific movies/shows out of season, because no matter I may love them, I just can't watch something out of season.

      Delete
  2. Orange clamshell Charlie Brown, and an orange cassette of Johnny Mnemonic. Very colorful! And a VHS copy of Bullitt makes it seem more authentic and cool than a blu-ray DVD would. Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can never have too much color in their life!

      Even though it's part of an antiquated mindset, I really do prefer most of my movies to be on VHS. It's certainly not the medium, but it's what I grew up with, and what I'm most comfortable with, so...

      Delete
  3. My daughter loves Charlie Brown so we have just about every special they've created over the years. For some reason she has been addicted to the Thanksgiving one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like her parents are doing a good job :)

      Delete