Friday, May 18, 2018

From one Collector to another

A couple of months ago, Chris (aka The Collector), attended a card show after having not done so in some obscene amount of years. While there, he picked up a few things for some of us other bloggers, and I was fortunate enough to be one of said other bloggers, and a little over a week later I had a loaded PWE in my mailbox to prove it.

The first card out of the package was a pretty good one, as not only did I need it for my set, but it also ended up being -- unbeknownst to me -- my first card of Manny Jimenez... which is kind of surprising, because for someone who really only had one good season, he sure has a lot of cards. Also, I think this '63 is the only one of his cards that isn't a high number.

I haven't been adding too much to my '69 set as of late, so it was really nice of Chris to help move things along.

Believe it or not, that Willie Horton is one of my favorite cards in the set! Were I to have had one of those "most desired" lists on the side of the blog, he most definitely would've been on there. I can't really explain why it is that I like the card so much, I just do... and now I can remove him from that non-existent "most desired" list.

I always enjoy getting "new" cards of Ray Sadecki, if only because his 1961 card was one of the first vintage baseball cards that I ever got.

The PWE wasn't all vintage, Chris also included a bunch of 2011 Topps Kimball Champions as well.

These eight cards more than doubled what I had previously had.

Bryce Harper seems to be a guy that fans either really love, or really hate. I've only seen him play maybe a handful of times, so I don't really have much of an opinion about him one way or the other, but I am certainly glad to be able to cross off another needed card from the 2017 Archives checklist.

Thanks again for the cards, Chris! My apologies for taking so long to publically acknowledge them, things still aren't going so great, so I'm getting a little behind with the blog posts, and this just happened to be one of them.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Chris has himself a contest going on. The contest is an conjunction with his much praised series of Sports Card Tour posts, and will be running through most of the summer. I don't what the record is for the longest running contest, but this has got to be up there. Some of the prizes were revealed a couple posts after the linked entry post, and it appears that there is going to be plenty of good stuff to potentially be had, so if you haven't already done so, you might want to go and get yourself entered while there's still time to do so.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

8 comments:

  1. Chris is one good egg. I consider myself one lucky duck to have been a beneficiary of his card show spree as well. Also, that same Manny reps in my Cubs All-Time Roster Collection - love that rookie cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with your assessment of Chris! The rookie cup is cool, and I always enjoy seeing the old KC Athletics uniforms as well.

      Delete
  2. It's good to see you posting again, and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed these cards. That Willie Horton card is a nice one, I agree.

    Thanks for plugging my contest. I know it's going a lot longer than most but think of it this way - it could be like a season, where there's points to be won and standings and a big prize at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By no means was I complaining about the length of your contest, in fact I think a contest of this length might actually be a good thing, because at least you know that the people who entered are committed, and certainly willing to stick around for the long haul.

      Delete
  3. Is it just me, or do those '69s look to be in pretty darn immaculate shape? I rarely see vintage in nar-flawless condition like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had mentioned something about the condition, but going back and looking, apparently I forgot too... so yeah, these were in really great shape.

      Delete
  4. Nice care package! Those are some great looking 1969s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was, and they definitely are!

      Delete