Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Tales from the Thrift Store vol.5

After having not gone to a single thrift store during the month of April, I was jonesing, and of course the only way to cure that... is by going to a thrift store!

Technically speaking, Serenity Thrift, is the closest second hand store to me, the only problem is... I tend to forget that it's there, mostly because I usually only go in that direction when I'm going to Nashville, and that's something that I don't do too terribly often.

This place also doesn't normally have a lot for me, so that probably doesn't help either... as far as the remembering that it's there goes. That being said, I didn't walk away empty handed when I took a trip to the store just a couple of days ago.

It's probably been over a year since the last time I went to this thrift store, in that time they seem to have made some changes (and not for the better), namely that there is a lot more clothes, and a lot less actual stuff.

One thing that was really different was that they had obviously received a huge donation of records, because there had to be at least 200-300 there, and there hadn't ever been any in my previous visits.

So the good news was, there was a lot of records to look through. The bad news, the majority of them were in pretty sad shape (deep scratches, warped, etc.). They were only 25 cents each though, so it was still worth the effort to try and find anything that wasn't all funked up.

Most of the stuff too, wasn't my kind of music (Dolly Parton, Engelbert Humperdinck, Oak Ridge Boys, and so forth), but I did manage to find a few things that didn't look like they had been used to sharpen knives and then stored out in a hot shed.

I had never heard of the kid's show, Pixanne (it aired in Philadelphia from 1960-69, and then nationally for another seven years), but it looked like a fun album... so I bought it!



I picked up the two Mario Lanza albums for my mom. I do like some of his stuff, but not enough to be buying anything of his for myself.

You had to know that there was going to be a couple of videos in this post, right? The selection wasn't very good, but I still managed to find two that were of interest.

I'm not really fan of Doris Day, but I could watch David Niven read a phonebook, so...


Here's a bit of a rarity for me, as it marks the first time that I've ever come across (in the wild) anything pertaining to The Ghost Busters, or in this case, it's later animated incarnation, Ghostbusters. Now if I could just find some of the toys!


I already have Kingdom of the Spiders on video, but for $1.99, I might as well get an upgrade. A lot of people consider this movie to be rather cheesy, I am not one of those people! The last shot of the film is, in my opinion, one of the more eerie/haunting images that you'll ever see... especially when watched in context.

Bonus content:

There is a Dollar Tree next to the thrift store, so of course I had to go in there as well. This isn't favorite Dollar Tree, but it is the only one that I know of around here that has cards and DVD's. None of the cards were of interest to me, but I did find this awesome sounding documentary for, you guessed it, a dollar!

Over a month was way too long to have not gone to a thrift store, hopefully for my own mental well being, I can try to remember to not do that again!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. Kingdom of the Spiders! haven't seen that in years! Must have been frightening for Shatner, worrying about one getting caught in his hairpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're overdue for another viewing then!

      Delete
  2. I can spend hours digging through vinyl at thrift shops - it's usually the kind of beat up and undesirable crap you described, but you just never know. Every now and then, a hidden gem will pop up. Also, I had never heard of that Ghostbusters rip off... although I guess it can't be a rip off if the source material dates from before the Bill Murray film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could too, the only problem is that I don't come across that much anymore.

      Yeah, the cartoon was definitely not a rip-off, just more of a cash grab from the creators of the original television series after the Ghostbusters movie became such a big money maker.

      Delete
  3. I feel like hitting up my local thrift stores this weekend... in hopes of finding some new vinyl for my collection as well. Love the cover art on that The Magic Mario LP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do end up going, and if you do end up finding anything... hopefully we'll be seeing it an upcoming blog post :)

      Delete