Monday, October 22, 2018

One man's collective is another man's collection

Thanks to a busier than normal weekend, today's post is going to be a bit of a quickie (but still a goodie).

Not too long ago I had the good fortune to receive an email from Greg -- of everyone's favorite Borg themed sports card blog, The Collective Mind -- asking if I'd be interested in making a trade.

He and I hadn't traded before, but I know of his stellar reputation, so even though I'm not a huge fan of formal trading, I found that resistance was indeed futile (Next Generation reference!).

 The bulk...

 ... of the package...

 ... was made...

 ... up of...

 ... 2012 Panini Cooperstown! Greg really decimated the needs list, but from what I've been able to gather, that's just what he does.

Greg also helped out with my 1976 Wonder Bread set, by providing four of the seven that I need. I will most likely try to upgrade two of these at some point, but they'll certainly do for now.

And finishing up with my two favorite cards from the package, which also happen to be two for set needs. I missed out on a bunch of Kimball Champions at the last card show, so this David Wright was very much appreciated. And without looking, I think that my 2001 Upper Deck set is now around the halfway point... maybe a little more!

Greg, thanks again for the trade! And thank you too for initiating said trade, as my anxiety can make it very difficult to make first contact (ah, worked in another Star Trek TNG reference right at the end).


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. nice assist from Greg! I know I have a stash of Cooperstown put away. If your list is up to date, perhaps I can knock the rest out. Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than autographs and the basketball tab, everything else is not up to date.

      Delete
    2. you should be properly punished, Pennysleeves. ;)

      Delete
    3. Hmm, what did you have in mind? :)

      Delete
  2. That is a nice big chunk of Cooperstown there! I'm starting to notice that Panini produces cards of long-ago HOFers that Topps won't touch (Ed Delahanty?! Rick Ferrel?!) someday I'll make a list of all the HOFers I don't have in my collection. The Ted Williams at the end is a fantastic card.

    When I scrolled down a bit - before I saw the team names on those Wonder Bread cards - I thought they were from the CFL. The only player I'd heard of was Rayfield Wright, which would have stopped that thought had I seen him first. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panini does do a good job with some of the lesser known HOFers, although there's not a lot of people who care about those guys, so I don't know how much good it does Panini to focus on such players... especially if it's not going to translate into more sales.

      Delete
  3. Cooperstown rules! I wish that set lasted longer than it did, because it sure was (is) a joy to collect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll probably bring it back at some point, as it couldn't have been to expensive to produce.

      Delete
  4. Don't think I've ever taken the time to sit down and appreciate Panini Cooperstown until this post. That Ted Williams card is fantastic. Although there are a fair share of photographs that seem to be zoomed in, the ones that aren't really make up for it. Love seeing all of the B&W old timers together in this product.

    ReplyDelete