Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Tales from the Thrift Store vol. 8

This past Saturday's 50% off sale at Goodwill wasn't quite as bountiful for me as it usually is, in fact, it initially looked like I might not be bringing anything home with me.

The video section wasn't particularly well stocked this time, which was a little disappointing since that's my primary reason for going. The selection was such that I ended up not getting a single video!

But all was not lost, as I did manage to get three DVD's for a $1 each, and a video game for $3.


What I'm about to say might come as a shock to a few of you, but I've never seen this movie! I have been meaning to for years, but the opportunity to do so just hasn't presented itself. On a side note, seeing that this movie came out in 1999 makes me feel very old.


And here's one that I've never even heard of before! I like Dennis Quaid though, so I'm hoping that it won't be too bad.


Finally, something I've actually seen! The DVD selection as this Goodwill isn't very good, and the stuff that is there, tends to be very mainstream in nature (The Matrix, Will Ferrell movies, etc.), so being able to find something a little out of the ordinary was a nice surprise.


They have a shelf right above the records (or vinyl if you prefer) that usually has maybe 15-20 video games, almost always of the Xbox (original) and PS2 variety. Most of the time the selection is made up of just unwanted sports games, but this time they had a few non-sport titles, and since I've been feeling very Xboxy (Xboxey?) as of late, this was a good thing.

I'm probably only one of a few people (video game people) who has never played Splinter Cell, so since the disc looked pristine -- and it had the manual -- I figured for three bucks it was about time for me to give it a try. I almost bought one of the Madden games too, but that disc was scratched to hell (how does that even happen?), so definitely not worth trying for $3.

So there you have it, my shortest thrift store post yet. After leaving the Goodwill, I did go to a Big Lots that I had never been to before, a few fun things were found, but I'll save those purchases for another day.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. I'm with you on two things: Never seen Sleepy Hallow and never played any Splinter Cell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is a Van Tassel family in Westchester County, NY. I descend from them. A cousin works for & gives tours at the Sleepy Hollow cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're related to the Van Tassel's and the Love's... interesting combination!

      Delete
  3. The Sleepy Hollow area is among my favorite places to visit. I’d move there if I could convince my wife that being that far from family would work.

    And I’ll go you one better...I’ve never played a video game. Unless you count Pong at a bar circa 1975.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like you need to convince the rest of the family to move there, then your wife wouldn't have any objections to the relocation.

      Yes, Pong counts.

      Delete
  4. I love "Sleepy Hollow"! It's a perfect movie to watch around Halloween and has a such a super creepy vibe to it. I think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to watch it on Halloween, so hopefully you're right about me enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. Sleepy Hollow is a real good movie. Great time of year to enjoy watching it. If Big Lots in TN is anything like the ones in MA, I have a sneaky suspicion you'll be showing off some cool Halloween items soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Big Lots here are not all that great when it comes to Halloween stuff, what I have gotten was already shown in the previous post. I don't imagine that I'll be getting anything else from them this year, as they've all pretty much switched to Christmas stuff already.

      Delete
  6. Always been a fan of the Tom Clancy video games. I loved Splinter Cell back in the day. Played it on my PS2. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played a lot of it yet, but I do like what I've seen so far.

      Delete
  7. I’ve got over 1,000 video games and I’ve owner nor played Splinter Cell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being as popular as it was at the time, I just assumed that pretty much every "gamer" had played it... I guess I was wrong!

      Delete
  8. Sleepy Hollow!! Definitely a blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete