Friday, August 2, 2019

COMC Shuffle #21

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1972-73 Topps #173
I am fourteen cards away from completing this set, and like most of my other nearly completed sets, I'm not entirely sure that I want to bother finishing it anymore. I'd kind of like to pull out some of the names, and just sell the rest. I think I'm only a few cards (not counting the Star cards) away from having everything that came out during Kareem's playing days, I might be kind of nice to have it altogether in one place? No matter what I end up doing, this is still a great card, one that just so happens to feature three of the greatest centers to ever play the game.

1999-00 Upper Deck HoloGrFX AuSOME #34AU
Even though Terrell Brandon is a Portland guy, I can't say that I was ever a huge fan of his. He ended up having a pretty solid career, and by all accounts he was always a good dude off of the court, so in retrospect, I feel a little bad for not supporting him more -- after all, it's not like there's been that many NBAer's to come out of Portland.

1971 Milk Duds Whole Boxes
Yes, this is a cool item, but I'm still down on the Milk Duds boxes.

2013 Panini Black Friday Panini Collection Lava Flow #20
Kool be holdin' a turntable while rocking an old school Bullets hat! This card is so great that I think I'm gonna have to clear my throat before continuing on with the rest of this post :)

2018 Panini Classics Timeless Tributes Gold #102
There's been serious lack of gold Dickerson's being added to COMC (and eBay for that matter) as of late, how am I supposed to complete my goal of getting an entire page's worth if people aren't listing them? There was just recently one of the orange optichrome's on COMC, but after getting the one that I have, and seeing how they're not the greatest looking parallels in the world, I decided to pass on the COMC one. That being said, I still might've bought it had the price been a little lower, but it ended up selling, so I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore.

1997-98 Fleer Soaring Stars #10SS
I seem to recall watching an NBA game or two back in '97 where they were using an ABA ball, but for the life of the me I can't remember why, and I'm feeling little lazy while typing this, so I'm not gonna go look it up -- if your curiosity has been peaked, you can go look it up! :)

1909 T206 #?
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about Art Fromme, it's pretty much just his career stats, and that's it. He spent ten years in the bigs, pitching for the Cardinals, Reds, and Giants. He finished his career at 80-90, with a 2.90 ERA. His best season appears to have been in 1909 while with St. Louis, went 19-13 with a 1.90 ERA. After the majors, he spent seven seasons in the PCL, all seven of those being with the Venice/Vernon Tigers, where he ended up having a little bit more success, going 93-66.

For you back addicts :)

2014-15 Panini Prizm Yellow and Red Mosaic Prizms #198
Being able to get a gaudy card of a young Elgin Baylor is one of the reasons why I like the earlier Prizm sets so much.

1996-97 Topps Hobby Masters #HM20
I know I say it every single time I show a Hobby Masters, but who cares, it's one of my all-time favorite insert sets, and I will most likely continue to mention that every single time I show one.

1972 Topps #774
I was still working on the set when this card was gotten, a year later, and I'm no longer working on the set... I wonder if it's too late to return it? I'm kidding of course, I shouldn't have too much trouble trying to trade this, it is one of those dreaded high numbers after all.

After pulling today's cards, I am now down to only eight weeks worth of Shuffle stuff left...


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

7 comments:

  1. That 72/73 Field % Leaders card is awesome! Although I think I made the same face as Kareem when I read that you might not finish this set with only 14 cards to go ;)

    P.S. Love that Cepeda too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just lost all interest in sets, that's all. So many collector's (myself included) spend so much time and money to try and complete sets, then what happens when they do? It goes in a binder, or a box, and then never gets looked at again. Why have it if we're never going to look at? I've been trying to focus more on owning stuff that I actually see on a semi-regular basis, owning something for owning's sake just isn't doing anything for me anymore.

      Delete
  2. This might be my favorite post in your COMC shuffle series, at least in terms of high-quality cards. The Wilt/Kareem at the top, the sharp looking Alvarado, the fantastic Fromme. Plus the Dickersons, Kemp insert (very cool btw) and Baker. Wow!

    I can't be the only one who caught that DJ Kool reference. I think the lava flow gives it a bit of a graffiti look, which makes that card even kool-er. (ok, yours was better, haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, you're probably going to be awfully disappointed with what's left :)

      Don't know, you might be the only one who cared about it though?

      Delete
  3. Alvarado also has an interesting card from the 1973 Topps set, though I prefer his '72 card, primarily because of the uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with his '73, so I guess I'll have to go take a look at it.

      Delete
  4. Fromme - lordy, that's in great condition!!

    ReplyDelete