Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Climbing back into the card show saddle

Up until two weekends ago I hadn't been to a card show since February, that's seven months for those of you playing along at home. I realize that for some of the folks reading this that might not seem like a long time, especially for those of you who aren't fortunate enough to have any card shows in your area, but for me it is a long time, or at least it is since I got back into card collecting.

Before this stretch, the longest I had gone in the last 8 or 9 (or 10) years, was five or six months, and that occurred just last year. It's no coincidence that these "long" stretches have come so close  together, as my interest in cards has begun to wane a bit, well, actually wane might not be the right word, let's just say that card collecting hasn't been as important to me in recent months as it had been in the last few years.

I can tell you that this past summer (April through last week), other than blog about cards, and trying to keep up with everyone else's blogs, I've hardly done anything with actual cards in months. I started a sorting project sometime earlier this year, and haven't gotten back to since the weather started getting really nice. I tend to spend a lot of time outside doing things, rain or shine, but this past summer I really outdid myself, in terms of work and play. I've been trying to venture outside of my comfort zone a bit, which sometimes leads me to places that I technically shouldn't be, but oh well, I'm not getting any younger, and there's still plenty of things that I'd like to do while I can.

I've spent a lot more time exploring local areas (forgotten areas?) this past summer as well, which combined with some of the things that I've found while doing so, has made me become a lot more interested in the local history -- something that I hadn't been interested in though my first couple of years living here. I'll probably do a post or two on this at some point, which I think a few of you might be interested in, especially some of the old baseball stuff.

But it hasn't been all fun and games though, there's been plenty of sweaty backbreaking work to be done as well (even mucked up my back a few months ago), not that I really mind, as it certainly provides for good exercise... and there's no such thing as getting too much exercise!

So anyways, cards! As mentioned, the last show that I went to was back in February, one of the big super mega 190-table affairs. If hadn't been one of those, I probably wouldn't have made the trip. Two weekends ago was another one of the giant shows, and even though I wasn't overly excited about the prospect of doing so much driving, these shows only occur twice a year, so I felt sort of compelled to go -- if it hadn't been one of the big shows, I most certainly wouldn't have went.

I said that I wasn't looking forward to the drive, which is true, but I've also been skipping the monthly shows because I didn't feel like getting up crazy early, only to then put in a long drive. But the day of reckoning arrived, and I was up at 3am (woke up at 2), left at 4:30, and got to the show at about 6:15. About 1/3 of the 100+ dealers were either already set up, or still setting up when I arrived, and didn't take long for the other 2/3 to show up and get their wares set up. And of course there were already plenty of patrons in attendance, some of whom had already been there for almost an hour.

I spent about four hours at the show, and realized later that I only bought stuff from four different dealers, so much for spreading the wealth, huh? Had the weather not been so nice that day, I probably would've stayed longer, but it was in the mid to upper 90's, and I really did want to try and get home as early as possible, because OUTDOORS!

As per usual, I'll be spreading out my purchases across multiple posts, but not all in a row though, as I do have a few non-card posts in the works.

First up will be the stuff I got from Jim, who dare I say, is the most popular dealer at the Nashville shows. And for good reason as well, his prices, and the stuff that he has access to is beyond equal. Believe it or not, there are people that go to these shows who will only buy from him, which seems a little weird, but it's not my place to say anything, so...

Jim was still setting up when I got there, but was already being swarmed by deal seekers. I've seen it many times before, but I'm always amazed by the deals that are being made even before everything is set up. I mean people will be dropping hundreds of dollars, and he's only put out three boxes. His "sick hitz" boxes are really popular, and tend to be decimated within a few minutes of being put on the table. O of course am waiting for his bargain boxes, which he is equally well known for, although this time I was a little dismayed to see that were only two 3200 ct boxes of 5/$1 stuff, two 3200 ct dime boxes, and two 3200 ct 2/$1 boxes -- everything else was vintage, high end, and high end vintage.

I could tell right away that the dime boxes weren't going to be very good, so I quickly switched to the 5/$1 boxes, which is where everything that you'll see today came from. He must've recently bought somebody's prospecting collection, because there was an awful lot of rookies from the last few years in these boxes, which meant plenty of Bowman, and if you've ever come around here before, you probably already know that rookies aren't my thing, especially those of current players.

Baseball wise, there wasn't a whole heck of a lot there of interest to me, but I was still able to find a few things. There were about twenty copies of each of the Mantle cards, probably should've gotten a few more of the vertical one. I've already got one of the gold Helton's, but what's one more. Still haven't looked to see if I needed the Kaline or not. I don't like the newer Diamond Kings sets, but I didn't have the Ichiro, I think it's a parallel of some sort too. And twenty cents was probably too much to pay for an A&G Maris base card, but they're probably aren't too many cards from that set that I would want, and I was there, and it was there, so I grabbed it... very cool card BTW!

I hate to keep saying "normally" or "usually', but normally Jim's boxes are a wellspring of 90's inserts, especially those of the basketball and football variety, not this time though, Steve here was the ONLY 90's insert that I saw in those bargain boxes. And to my knowledge there wasn't any basketball period, new or old. Considering how much neat stuff that I've gotten from Jim over the last 4 1/2 years, I figure he's entitled to have an off show or two, and not finding a bunch of 90's inserts isn't the end of the world, besides, I did make up for it a little bit through two of the other dealers I bought from later in the day.

Did you know that Prizm Draft Picks was a thing? And did you know that this Prizm Draft Picks has mascot cards in it? Oh, and did you know that the LSU Tiger was called Mike? I knew none of these things! Obviously these are both parallels, pink shimmer and blue? Nice looking cards though. If there wasn't a 1/1 in play, I'd probably try and build a Duck rainbow, but since there is a 1/1 out there, I will instead be content to try find a few more cheap copies of the base and other parallels.

Picked up a few color matching (save for Andre Johnson) Prizms from the last few years too. The Woodhead is #'d to /75, so that's something, though I think I like the Alex Smith the most.

Jim's boxes may not have been the best for me this time, but I did find a number of things for other people, which was nice. I also grabbed this 1992 Topps Mike Bielecki blank front for whoever wants it, he's a Brave if that helps. I love me some blank backs, but blank fronts don't do much for me, so it's available if anyone wants it.
 
I must've made a happy noise of some sort when I came across these, because the guy next to me turned to see what I was holding, saw what it was, then rolled his eyes and went back to pulling out cards of prospects -- that's okay guy, you keep hoarding cards of little boys, and I'll keep grabbing cards of folks who've actually done things! By the by, this set was new to me, it's called Pieces of the Past, and was put out by a company called The Bar(?) back in 2017. The cards are really quite pretty in person, got a really nice texture too. I definitely wouldn't mind finding some more of these, provided their cheap of course.

Past greats on new cardboard, it doesn't get much better than that! Well, maybe past greats on old cardboard, but you what I mean. I tried to scan these multiple times, the scanner couldn't handle the Dickerson and Sayers, so instead you get a wonky photo.

SLU cards are not something that see here (or even back in Portland) very often, this probably the third or fourth that I've found in the last five years, because of this, and because it's Bart Starr, I had to get it.

I have multiple copies of this '84 Payton, but I don't mind owning another one. I grabbed the Jim Plunkett, because Jim Plunkett! It's from the 2017 Classics set, which I don't particularly care for, and it's one of those faux blank back parallels, which I really hate, but still... it's Jim Plunkett!

Who doesn't like cheap autographs of questionable authenticity? Although, for the record I did compare these to "authenticated" samples, and they do seem to match up. Plus who's gonna bother forging signatures of these guys, it's not like they're autos are going to be commanding top dollar or anything! I already had this same Craig Morton cards signed, I think I paid a quarter for it last year at a show, his prices must be going down, because this one was only twenty cents. Nick Fotiu had a pretty solid career, but I picked it up more for the neat card than the autograph. Apparently Tim Cheveldae was a Bruin at some point, so I guess I'll see if Marc wants him, if not, he'll be looking for a happy home elsewhere.

Even counting the stuff that wasn't shown, aka the stuff for everyone else, this was by far the least that I had ever purchased from Jim, but again, I picked up some neat cards elsewhere, so it all evened out in the end. I did mention too that he had some vintage stuff, but I was really only looking for a few specific guys this time, so other than one card for a friend, I didn't get any vintage from him either -- although I did get a few of those elsewhere as well.

For those interested, Friday's post will feature another portion of my purchases, and don't worry, it'll be considerably shorter in length :)


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the local history posts. You've got a good eye for that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably one of the select few who'll actually read those!

      Delete
  2. Glad you had some luck! Those 2012 gold parallels are pretty sweet. Love the Smith and the Woodhead. Looking forward to seeing what else you might have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously you have penchant for shiny things as well :)

      Delete
  3. Solid 5/$1 finds. The Bart Starr is my favorite... but the questionable authenticity autographs are sweet pickups too. Can't wait to see what else you found at the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of it probably would've been more at home in a dime box, but oh well, it's okay to overpay by a few cents sometimes... at least the money's going to somebody I like!

      Delete
  4. I wish my card show would let people in that early. It feels like I've wasted 1/2 a day when I'm getting at a show for a show that opens at 8:45.
    Always liked Steve Young. When I was collecting football cards I somehow managed to amass a ton of his cardboard.
    Mascot cards are somewhat cool. I can see collectors on both sides of the fence with them. You'll either like them or wont nothing to with them.
    Never heard of Pieces of the Past but, those cards are unique.
    Bart Starr. Thanks for reminding me of this as I have a Starr for you. Hope I remember to add it to the next package.
    I have a few copies of that same Payton. He was one of the greatest of all time but, you already knew that. I had no idea you were a fan of Plunkett. Who would have thunk it?
    So, you've never heard of Ray Bourque but, knew Nick Fotiu had a "pretty solid career"?? Consider my mind blown by that statement.
    Cheveldae?? Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the nice things about the Nashville shows, even though they say that it starts at 8, people are basically allowed to go in whenever the dealers start setting up. I can't even imagine what a cluster it would be if everyone at one of these big shows had to wait until 8 to get in, it'd be like those images that we always see of people being let into Walmart on Black Friday.

      It seems to be fairly easy to amass Steve Young cards, despite how good he was, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people collecting him.

      A Starr for me? :)

      I don't if I'm a fan of Plunkett per se, as much as it is that I'm just a fan of his era, so he, and a lot of other guys, are sort of guilty by association.

      I've stated on many occasions that my knowledge of hockey isn't great, and I can't explain why I know about one guy, but not another? It's probably just best to not question it :)

      And I'll set the auto aside for you.

      Delete
  5. Really digging the Steve Young!! As you probably guessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice card, and I was surprised at how well the scan came out, didn't think it would turn out so well.

      Delete
  6. Love that Helton card. I know Topps has frequently dabbled with their different parallels, but those gold sparkle cards that they put out in the early 2010s were really underrated. Wish they were still around. Looks like a good haul of cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the gold's were great, I think them and the Diamond Anniversary parallels were the best that Topps has done in the last two decades.

      Delete
  7. i havent been to a show since March. Probably won't be attending another until next spring. The Bar Americans are now on my radar though. Hope I come across a few!

    ReplyDelete