Wednesday, December 4, 2019

A tale of two Roby's


A few weeks back, Rod (Padrographs) showed off a bunch of autographs that he got from a trade with John Miller (Johnny's Trading Spot). Amongst those shown was a 1990 Pro Set Reggie Roby, and as some of you might know by now, that's somebody who I'm collecting - one could even say super collecting - so it was kind of a downer to see that Johnny had an auto available that I didn't know about. I left a quick comment saying as much, and while the comment was just supposed to convey some minor disappointment before moving on to the next blog to read, it apparently was  interpreted much differently than I had intended by the two folks who had been involved with the trade.

I would soon find out that my dumb comment had set things in motion, things I truly didn't expect, for less than two weeks later I was to become the proud owner of not one, but two new Reggie Roby IP auto's!

Rod was secretly sending the Pro Set Roby (along with the Karl Noonan from the last post), right around the same time that John was letting me know that he might have another autograph for trade, which was soon confirmed by the arrival of a wonderfully signed 1992 Fleer.

Reggie only has one certified autograph ('91 Pro Line Portraits), so getting both of these was really cool, and they've made for a wonderful addition to my still relatively small collection, but I still can't shake the feeling that I unintentionally guilt-tripped my way into both of them. My apologies to both guys if that's the way that the comment came across, I would hope that most people know that that's not the way I operate, and if you don't, please try to remember that in the future.

I may have obtained both of these through "nefarious" means, but both fellows will be rewarded for their generosity, Johnny's went out on Sunday, and even though I got a little sidetracked last week, I'm still looking for something to send Rod, hopefully whatever it ends up being will have been worth the wait.

Many thanks once to again to both Rod and Johnny! I really (really) dig these cards, I just wish that I could've acquired them in a slightly more honorable way.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. Nah, I didn't read it that way at all. I was happy to have had another auto of Roby. Happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, as it really felt like that's the way it came across.

      Delete
  2. Rod and John are two of the most generous bloggers. Both of those signatures are awesome and it's nice to see them land in your collection. Nefarious? And I thought I was tough on myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no way that you could ever out self-criticize me, I've turned it into an art form :)

      Delete
  3. Great additions! He has a nice signature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is different, in a good way of course!

      Delete