Friday, April 17, 2020

Ten things that I'm not overly fond of

Nick, of Dime Boxes fame, seems to have started something that's been rather popular across the blogs in the last weeks, that being this whole "Ten things..." thing.

I feel like I've seen multiple iterations of this theme, but the most popular two seem to be; "Ten things you like that I don't like" and "Ten things I like that you don't like". It's been fun to read these lists, and I've found myself agreeing with a lot of them, which of course makes trying to do a list at the tail-end of this craze just that much more difficult, because most of the stuff has already been covered.

I know that this bat around is kind of supposed to be card related, but being so late to the party, everything that I could possibly think of, has already been covered -- heck, if I replaced like two things from it, I could practically just copy and paste Greg's (GCA) list, and call it good. So, with all of the card stuff being taken already, I'm just gonna go ahead and make a list of non-card things that I don't particularly care for. Also, since I have no idea what people like or don't like anymore, nor I do really care, I'm just going with stuff I don't like; if someone else likes or dislikes any of it, well, more power to them.

#1 - Four way stops

Have you ever pulled up to a 4-way stop with cars coming from the three other directions, and nobody seemingly knew what to do? Of Course you have! That happens every GD time that anyone has ever pulled up to a crowded 4-way stop! It strikes me as rather fitting that the concept of 4-way stops was first put forth by one Joseph Devilin... after all he's got "devil" right there in his name!

#2 - Styrofoam cups

As someone who spends a lot of time picking up other people's garbage, I can honestly say that I hate picking up Styrofoam cups the most, with Styrofoam take-out containers coming in at a close second. These things are bad enough for the environment as is, but they're even worse when they start breaking down in to smaller pieces, not to mention that those smaller pieces are real b*tch to pick up.

#3 - Mayonnaise

That sh*t's f*cking gross!

#4 - NASCAR

I have never understood the appeal of watching a bunch of cars drive around in a circle for three hours, I mean what is the draw? It doesn't help too that save for being different colors, it's essentially the same kind of cars that are driving around in a circle for three hours. Given the choice of watching a NASCAR race, or watching paint dry, I'd be very hard pressed to make a decision.

#5 - Snow

I don't like being cold, so it's kind of a given that I wouldn't like snow either.

#6 - Hot tubs

Call me a germaphobe, or a prude... or whatever, but the thought of stewing in someone else's juices has never done a whole heck of a lot for me.

#7 - Puppies

Oh, man, don't even get me started on those little bas... KIDDING... just seeing if everyone's still paying attention :)

#8 - Country music

In general, I tend to gravitate towards up tempo music, and if it's not up-tempo, than it's got to have some other redeeming quality to grab me; *Twang Twang*... my dog died... *Twang Twang*... my woman took off in my pick-up... *Twang Twang*... no more beer left in the fridge... *Twang Twang*, is not up-tempo, and in my mind, has no other redeeming qualities either.

#9 - Glitter

If you bring something into your house with glitter on it, that house will never again be glitter-free. No matter how many times you vacuum/sweep/wipe with a rag, you will forever continue to see bits of sparkle laying around -- usually when the sun lands on particular area just right. Although, I must admit that knowing this, does provide me with some perverse pleasure when sending out glittery Christmas cards.

#10 - Jeans

With apologies to, Julie, if she reads this, I don't like jeans for one simple reason, this being that I like being able to breathe, or in other words, the ability to move around (all the fella's know what I'm talking about). This dislike of restriction is also why I prefer boxers (I know, TMI).

Well, that was fun! And as an extra added bonus, it only took me about thirty minutes to find all of the content for this post, which was greatly appreciated, so many thanks to Nick for setting the ball in motion.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

26 comments:

  1. This was great, it's fun to see non-card topics in a BBA. I agree wholeheartedly with your opinions on NASCAR and country music. The hardest part of my work day is enduring all of the Luke Bryan and Carrie Underwood songs on my manager's playlist xP

    The glitter thing made me chuckle, not only because I have two young girls (and one of them loves glitter) but because I was watching A Simple Favor with my wife a few weeks ago and just as Anna Kendrick is in the middle of a very dramatic scene, my wife pauses it and says (in her best Poppy voice) "More glitter!" and now it's a running joke between us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about that aspect of your work environment. I used to work at a place where I had to hear sports radio all day, every day! This may sound like a dream to some, but not me, especially when it included having to hear Jim Rome every day, who would often drone on about one subject for three hours, and then sometimes revisit it the next day. Not to mention the local shows, hosted by guys who clearly were never going to move up to anything higher than hosting a local show, lot's of long pauses and uh's, plus the cringey begging for phone calls... I don't miss those days at all!

      Delete
  2. If you really hate anyone: https://shipyourenemiesglitter.com/
    Glitter on baseball cards is cool. Gavin did customs with glitter nail polish a few years ago that came out great.

    Older country music I kind of like, the new stuff is all pop music with a slight southern accent and is garbage.

    Being from NY I totally agree about NASCAR, and probably have a lot more familiarity with four-way stop signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you found that website, but it's very funny!

      There might be a handful of old songs that I like, but yeah, the new stuff is somehow even worse than most of the stereotypical old stuff.

      I've never been there, but I wouldn't imagine that NASCAR is all that big in NY, especially to those in the NYC area.

      Delete
  3. Yep, good list. Can't disagree with much.

    Don't hate the 4-way stops, hate the idiots in the other cars. It's better than traffic circles. I don't condone road rage ~ but I understand it completely.

    I do like mayo, and think Miracle Whip is gross. It's not the same thing, it's salad dressing - says right on the label. Totally different taste.

    Used to watch NASCAR before it was called that - back in the '70s. Liked Bobby Unser. But what did I know? I was just a kid. Don't watch it now.

    Also liked country for a while, after I took a trip with my Mom and her friends. It was the only thing we all liked. Stuck with it for a few years, but mostly because of Martina McBride, Sara Evans, Mandy Barnett, etc. Some of them could sing too.

    I do wear jeans all the time. And some of them have holes in them. Only wear those on the weekends around the house. But I EARNED those holes, didn't buy them that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but we wouldn't have to deal with the people, if there were no such things as 4-way stops.

      There may be some difference to mayonnaise connoisseurs, but to this novice, they're all the same.

      Yeah, kids will watch anything.

      I can see how that might've worked :)

      Buying jeans with factory made tears and rips has always seemed incredibly silly to me, but I know that there's a lot of people who have bought them, and are still buying them.

      Delete
  4. I love mayo... snow (as long as it involves snowboarding)... and of course puppies. I don't mind country music, jeans, 4 way stops (as long as people don't just sit there and stare at each other), or NASCAR. And I can't stand glitter or styrofoam. As for hot tubs... I wouldn't mind owning my own if I knew nobody else would ever touch it. I'm a germaphobe too. Otherwise... it's like public pools. I avoid them like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone owns a hot tub just for themselves, or at least if anyone does, I've never heard about it. Oh, and public pools could've very easily made this list as well.

      Delete
  5. Mayonnaise. Blech. I'm with you on that one. I'm not a NASCAR fan either, but years ago a friend explained how using all the same cars means that the highest finishers are much more purely the people who drove the best on that day -- as opposed to Formula 1, where certain teams with bigger budgets can spend their money on better cars, better equipment, better R&D, and things like that, thereby giving their driver an advantage before the race even starts. All that being said, however, in NASCAR they're still driving in circles for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make sense, but I still think that it would be more interesting if the cars were different, kind of like the really early days when guys would just show up to the track in their various souped-up bootlegging cars... that would've been something worth watching!

      Delete
  6. #s 4 & 8 -- yes, yes, yes, a million times YES!

    I used to hate mayonnaise but I'm coming around on it. I still don't like to put it on stuff straight out of the jar but I kinda like it on burgers and sub sandwiches I get at restaurants now, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't strike me as someone who'd be a fan of either, so it's nice to get the confirmation.

      Warm mayo... that sounds even worse!

      Delete
  7. I like mayo, but this is the most agreeable "Things I Don't Like Post" on a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would've agreed with you about NASCAR if you'd asked me before 1990 or so. To appreciate the sport you *really* need someone sitting with you to tell you what you should look at, why certain actions are good and bad, etc. etc.

    Having said that, I stopped following NASCAR 20 years ago because of the rampant BS in the governing body itself.... and I always preferred the road courses like Watkins Glen where the drivers have to turn left *and* right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard people say the exact same thing about hockey?

      Watching a race where drivers actually had to change directions would be a bit more interesting, not quite as interesting as a cross-country race, but still better than driving in circles.

      Delete
  9. Why hello. I do agree on most all 'cept the mayo and JEANS. While I do enjoy some country, I do NOT like twangy Bro, redneck tunes. That's the stuff you seem hear associated most with Nascar. Kinda funny how they go together. Pop in that 8-track and drive in a circle for hours. Also, I realize I can't relate to boxer/brief discussions but boxers just make sense. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those two go together like cut sleeved t-shirts and trucker hats! Boxers do make sense, not only are they more comfortable, but they also allow for more airflow (more of that TMI).

      Delete
  10. I think at some point I will have to do one of these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mayonnaise is disgusting. I couldn't agree with you more. Country music is just as bad. Snow sucks. Just had one of the most mildest winters in Massachusetts history. Thankfully. We had more snow today (2 inches) than in the first three and a half months combined.

    NASCAR acronym... Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how one will sometimes develop a taste for things as they grow older, and I that there's plenty of things that I like now, but disliked as a kid, however mayonnaise is not one of things -- I still can't even stand the smell of it, let alone the thought of ever trying to eat it.

      Love that acronym :)

      Delete
  12. Ha, laughed out loud at glitter. Gets everyyhyyyhwhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9. Four way stops are stressful. You describe NASCAR exactly the way I do. And glitter is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that there's any other way to describe NASCAR.

      Delete