Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Early Wynn gets the worm


Is it just me, or are the blogs in a really good place right now... maybe a better place then they've been in years?

Despite all that's currently happening in the world, we've got blogger's returning from long absences. We've got very active bloggers who have somehow managed to increase their already staggering output. We've got daily, bi-daily, weekly, and monthly free stuff posts to look forward to. We've got other assorted free stuff, but not called "free stuff" posts to whet your whistle. And last, but certainly not least, we've got a weekly mini-BFG, hosted by the ever generous, Johnny, over at Johnny's Trading Spot.

Given that most people are currently stuck at home on Friday nights, these games have really taken on a life of their own, and tend to get filled up rather quickly when the sign-ups become available at the beginning of each month. Even though John's been running them for a couple of months now, I waited until just last month to finally join one. The only reason I hadn't joined one sooner, is because as recently mentioned, I've been spending a lot less time on the internet, which often includes entire evenings, and I didn't/don't want to be the one responsible for holding up a game if I'm not around on that particular night.

Despite my worries of a looking like a flake, I broke down and joined a game, a game that seemed to move really quickly, like an hour or less quickly, and when all was said and done, I ended up with what I'm calling the Early Wynn lot... although it could just as easily be called the players of yore lot!

The only Panini Diamond Kings I have are those that have been sent to me by other bloggers. I like the players that are featured in the sets, but some of the images are really hit or miss, and like a lot of modern sets, I can't tell one year from the next just by looking at the fronts.

I don't own very many, but I do enjoy the various Sport Kings revival sets, one of these day I might actually have to sit down and look through all of the checklists and see how many cards I need for player collections.

This one wasn't in the lot, but I'm certainly not going to complain about getting an uncracked Kellogg's for a freebie, especially not one that so prominently features the old-school Mariners trident logo.

Many thanks to John for letting me be a part of one of his games, it was fun, and I can't imagine that I won't try and join another one at some point :)


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Love that Ty Cobb card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogs do seem to be enjoying a kind of renaissance now -- it's about the only good thing to come out of all this. I love that you and John and so many others have started these terrific giveaways, and I've started gathering some of my extras for a giveaway of my own because I'm starting to get guilty taking all this terrific free stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to have been a small backlash against the free stuff posts as of late, but I still think that they do more good than harm. I'll definitely be looking forward to yours, as I can only imagine what it'll contain :)

      Delete
  3. Helps that most of us are at home more and can work on posts and ideas.

    I may start posting giveaways for unusual items I can't do anything else with, or batches of stuff that no one would ask to trade for....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true!

      Sounds like fun. I too have been thinking about doing a non-card free stuff post, maybe that'll be the last one that I do.

      Delete
  4. Love the Cobb. It has a parallel too. I found both in a dime box last year. I may have a special round of freebies. I like the idea of clearing out some stuff - like "former prospect" signed baseballs, magazines and trinkets. Maybe I'll just ship them all to your house and let you handle it. ;) JK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the parallel, I'll have to go see what it looks like. If the magazines are non-sport, I'd be all for them... seriously! :)

      Delete
  5. May sign up will be next week (First twenty get a spot).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Cobb is fantastic! One of my favorite sets of 2018. The only downside is there aren't a ton of baseball players, but if you're a fan of a bunch of different sports... it's a treasure trove.

    P.S. It's been really cool to see all of the generosity being passed around among bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go back and look at the checklist, as I only vaguely remember the set at this point -- it must not have been shown on the blogs too much.

      Agreed!

      Delete
  7. Love the Kellogg's card and Ty Cobb cards. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kellogg's was a nice surprise for sure!

      Delete
  8. I do agree that blogs are a great place to spend time now. They are a good distraction and I enjoy scrolling my blog roll since its one of the few places not filled with bad Coronavirus news these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to keep my posts positive, and I suspect that a lot of others have been as well, which is a good thing, because as you pointed out... everywhere else is pretty much just non-stop bad "news"!

      Delete