Friday, April 3, 2020

Stormageddon 2020

If there's one thing that I've learned in the last five years, it's that thunderstorms are very common in Tennessee.

And if I were to add a second item to the list of things I've learned over the last five years, it would be that severe thunderstorms are very common in Tennessee.

That being said, the storm that made it's way through the region this past Sunday morning was a completely different animal... and I've got the pictures to prove it!

I've always rather enjoyed thunderstorms, and could never understand how anyone could be afraid of them, of course there wasn't much to fear from the one's that we had when I was growing up back in Oregon. Sure, there was the occasional lightning strike, and every couple of years a small tornado would touch down in some lower populated area and take out someone's shed, but other than that, there wasn't really much to bother worrying about.

When a storm starts brewing here in Tennessee though, especially a strong storm, tornadoes are always a very real possibility, and when a tornado touches down here it tends to do a little bit more damage than just taking out someone's shed. Historically speaking, tornadoes occurring in my general are pretty uncommon, so while severe thunderstorms may produce wind gusts upwards of 60 mph, inches of rain, and plenty of ground shaking, the thought of tornadoes hadn't really ever entered my mind... at least not until last month!

Back on March 3rd, at a little before 2:30 in the AM, we had a pretty intense thunderstorm roll through. I believe it may have been mentioned nationally, but if not, this storm was part of the system that produced tornadoes in Cookeville (about forty minutes away from me) and Nashville, which led to the deaths of 25 people (19 in Cookeville). That storm was bad, to say the least, but we in the local surroundings didn't get the full brunt of it, so other than some downed tree limbs, there really wasn't much evidence of it's ever having been here -- unfortunately, the same can not be said about this past Sunday's storm.

I have always been a very light sleeper, and even though it might sound like woo woo to some, have always had a knack for waking up before the first signs of an approaching thunderstorm, I like to think of it as being able to detect a disturbance in the force (a rare Star Wars reference). Usually this just results in me waking up, wondering why I woke up, then I hear the first roll of thunder off in the distance and get annoyed, because I know I won't be able to fall back asleep until it passes. Such was the case this past Sunday morning, once again just a little bit before 2:30 in the AM, although it became evident pretty quickly that this wasn't going to be your average run-of the-mill thunderstorm!

I woke up a couple of minutes before the first roll of thunder, which, although still about as far away as my ears could detect, sounded a bit different, almost like a large footstep. My attention was officially grabbed a minute or two later though, when the next roll came, as it was much closer than it should've been, and as silly as it might sound, I broke out in a cold sweat when the next rumble came, which was now only a couple of miles away -- this storm was moving fast, and even a transplant like myself knows that that's never a good sign.

I don't really know how to describe it properly, other than to say that the approaching thunder was not dissimilar to the approach of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, although Godzilla would've been more apt for those footsteps, as every boom sounded like an explosion.

The wind actually arrived first, a wind like I've never experienced! I've never been in a hurricane, but I would have to imagine that the sounds were pretty similar, and as it would later be determined, it was indeed hurricane strength winds. The generator (the power grid is very fragile around here, so a generator is an investment worth making) came on almost immediately after the first blast of wind, another bad sign.

The thunder and lightning wasn't too far behind the wind, which was then followed by the torrential rain/hail. The whole house was creaking and popping, and the sound of the wind was almost deafening. At some point I realized that I was even holding breath, just trying to listen, for what I do not know. Being all the way out where I am, there are no tornado sirens, so you're only real option is to take shelter if you know/think that something is coming -- I am a dummy, so I of course just kept laying in bed, hoping that it would pass soon.

The actual storm probably only ended up lasting about ten minutes, but it felt like an eternity. After the storm had passed, I heard two loud explosions come from the direction that it went, and I still don't know what those were. I never did go back to sleep, but waited until about 5:30 to finally get up. The generator was still on when I did (it ended up being on for 12 hours), and the internet was out, but was back on by the time I got done eating breakfast.

I knew that things were gonna be bad outside, but still being dark, I had to wait until after breakfast to go out and see just how bad they were. Obviously I knew that no trees had come through the house, but I was a bit worried about the roof, which *knocks on this wood desk* thankfully ended up being okay, a lot of other people in the surrounding counties weren't as lucky.

Other than being splattered with mud (think chimpanzee trying to create a Jackson Pollock), the house was/is just fine, but the rest of the property took a bit of a beating.

The pond is one of the first things you notice when looking out the patio door, or at least it is when there's not a 40ft pine down in front of it.

I knew that this tree was going to come down someday, so this wasn't the end of the world, but I do wish that it hadn't obliterated the two young sycamore's in it's path. Although on the flip side of that, it could've fallen into the pond, which would've made the clean up a little more difficult.

The shed behind the house became a pillow for this pine.

Had this tree fallen square in the middle of the shed, it probably would've went right through, so it obviously could've been worse. As such, one of the roof beams was cracked, and a couple pieces of the metal roofing got crumpled, but both are fixable, and the tree has since been gotten off of the roof.

If these two trees, and the hundreds of branch bits strewn all over everywhere (not shown), had been the only casualties, then things might not have been so bad considering. Unfortunately this wasn't the case...

Welcome to tornado alley! This is looking down the driveway from the house. Had I taken this photo prior to Sunday morning, you would've seen many more standing trees, now it's a just a mess of about a dozen on the ground, including two from next door that I highly doubt will be taken care of by anyone other than me. All the leaning trees in the background are on the neighbor's property, they didn't used to be doing that.






As you can see, it's quite the mess. And the best part (sarcasm) was that a few just had to fall across the driveway as well.

Obviously clearing the driveway was priority numero uno, and was done by Sunday afternoon, as was witnessed by the many people who seemed to be driving around looking for damage to gawk at.

As I mentioned, the power ended up being out for twelve hours (thank god for the generator!), as there were apparently power lines down all over, most of which were of course taken out by fallen trees. And there was quite a bit of property damage reported in all of the surrounding counties.

I saw on a local news site that the National Weather Service was investigating the storm, I guess we needed them to tell us that a bunch of sh*t got f*cked up before it could be considered official. A few days later they determined that Sparta - which I'm technically apart of, but live about 900 feet above the actual town - had an Ef-0 tornado (which may or may not be responsible for the train that got blown over) , and Crossville - which I live almost closer too than Sparta - had sustained winds of 95 MPH. And we had news helicopter (probably from Knoxville) flying over on Sunday, and Monday afternoon, which told me that there must've been a bunch of juicy destruction around, because they're not going to send one of their vultures all the way out here for nothing.

This was not a fun storm, and the aftermath certainly hasn't been fun, but the house didn't sustain any damage, so things definitely could've been much worse. From what I've seen online, these storms caused quite a mess across most of middle and east TN, thankfully there wasn't any loss of life this time though.

I've spent everyday this week, except for Wednesday, cleaning up, and have barely scratched the surface in doing so. I'm not complaining, but I've also been pretty tired as of late, and the old brain doesn't seem to currently be firing on all of it's synapses, hence the lack of blog posts... and my having to sit on the sidelines for Matt's April Fool's festivities!

And I haven't even started packaging up everyone's claims from last week's Free Stuff Friday, but plan to start doing so sometime this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to get most of it out by next week.

Oh, and I got a wood chip stuck in my eye while chainsawing yesterday (it went under my sunglasses), which as you can probably imagine, wasn't very fun. It took me almost ten minutes to get it out, and the residual soreness feels like I got punched in the eye -- take my word for it when I say that you never want to do this! So all in all it's been an awesome last couple of days... how's your week going?


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

27 comments:

  1. Damn that's some storm. Where I live there are less trees but the ones we do have are older and heavier. Fortunately the person who owned our property before us cut down all her trees after Hurricane Sandy.
    The explosions you heard may have been power lines going down. Have heard them during hurricanes and it's quite a sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the good news is that now we only have two pines left on the house side of the creek, all the rest are elm and oak, along with a few recently transplanted (from the woods) gum's. It is possible that power lines were the source of the explosions, as they were down all over the place, but I'll probably never know for sure.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that you are okay. I get the mandated exercise of cleaning up after a storm. Back home severe thunder storms are a regular occurrence 8 months out of the year, and it appears to be the same here in South GA (and TN). Had to sweat the storm early this week with 3 tornadoes just south of here. I say sweat, because I don't want to be in a Tornado as I guess no one does. But the big reason, is that on February 6 a storm also blew here that took the shingles off the roof that can't be replaced until the end of the month. I am most thankful that I had 22 (80ft) pine tree cut down 6 months ago out of my uncle's back yard (he lives in the city too). Those trees would have torn this house to pieces. Again, glad to see that your home was saved and all are safe. As for the clean up, you missed a spot, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your forethought to have those trees cut down should be commended. My mom did the same thing last summer, and I'm glad that she did, as I have no doubt that a couple of those would've come down in this storm. Losing shingles isn't fun, but is certainly better than losing part, or all, of the roof. From what I've read, this year sounds like it's going to be a bad one for tornadoes (and it already has), so I think a lot of us are going to end up sweating out our fair share of storms, which hopefully won't produce anymore of these killer tornadoes.

      Delete
  3. Scary stuff, glad you're okay though. Blogging and hobbies always take a backseat when real-life stuff happens. It's totally understandable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real-life stuff seems to be the topic du jour as of late, hopefully we'll all have much more positive things to discuss come this time next year :)

      Delete
  4. I did not realize you lived so near to Cookeville. The storms which come in the night are the most dangerous. Too many folks sleeping to hear any warnings or sirens. Your innate sense is a gift of sorts. Glad to know you were spared severe damage or much worse. I grew up in tornado alley so do understand how frightening these storms are. My dad lost his business to one, and one of the 40 killed in the last big OK storm was a fellow I worked with and spoke to, every night on my post office shift. On another note, your property is beautiful. Nothing like country living!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's where the Goodwill that I always go to is. And I know that if one person reading is going to know about tornadoes, it's gonna be you! Every time you talk about that big one, I always try to imagine what it would be like to be around something like that, and never can... and hopefully will never have to find out firsthand!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of storm damage though I'm glad you were able to report your house ended up okay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeesh. Glad you and the homestead came out of that storm mostly unscathed. Be careful with the rest of the cleanup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on how long it takes me, the only real potential hazards will be ticks and snakes.

      Delete
  7. I did see the news about this storm on TV. It showed the train that was blown over with the wheels still on the tracks. Mother Nature was pretty PO'd that night! Or maybe she felt you needed some extra firewood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might've been seeing footage from Jonesboro (AR), as they got hit by a tornado on Saturday, which ended up knocking over train there as well. And firewood is not something that there's ever a shortage of here!

      Delete
  8. Wow, very scary. Glad you were safe in the end, but I'm sure clean up is still very cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cumbersome, but after finally going out to the store the other day, and seeing all of the destruction along the way, I can honestly say that a lot of folks ended up with much more cleanup on their hands.

      Delete
  9. The damage you're seeing on your property is very similar to what we had in May 2018 in NY. There were 4 tornadoes in the area, 3 of which were in a line west to east which my area was right in the line (2 west of us, 1 east). However, we were subjected to what the NOAA calls a macroburst, and we saw straight winds of about 110 mph. We lost almost every tree on our property (12 of 13) and it was quite costly to get them cleaned up. We had a couple pieces of aluminum fascia come loose on our house and garage, but all in all, no real damage to living space. (One of the garage doors actually got pushed in about 3 to 4 inches at the bottom. We had the people who installed our automatic openers inspect/fix/service them. But I couldn't use that side for a couple weeks.) From those photos, that looks like you may have been through a macroburst at your house as well. Glad you're okay and that the house was okay. The most important parts. Hope you have a nice fireplace or some other means of using all that wood you'll have. WE don't, so the people that came to deal with ours took the wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty scary too, and even though it's almost two years removed, I'm glad to hear that you and your wife came through unscathed, save for the poor trees. Pretty crazy about the garage door too, that had to be some wind to do that! I hadn't heard of macroburst's before, reading about them led me to microburst's, and then downburst's. I think it's entirely possible that our section of trees got hit by a downburst, all the picture's I saw online of their aftermath look just like what we've got here. As for the wood, I have been trying to give primitive pottery a go for the last couple of summers, but can never seem to find the time -- but if this ends up being the year, I'll have plenty of wood for the kiln! I was also planning on trying to build an outdoor kitchen this summer, and if that were to get done, I'd have plenty of wood to cook with as well :)

      Delete
  10. To be honest, things like this and that huge F3 that happened near my Nephews house (took out his work and my sister in laws school she teaches at) in Nashville is why I am glad I live where I live. We don't see any of that stuff here. But, if I did ever live in those places, a basement would be a plus and I would sleep there everynight just because of that.

    I am glad that you are safe and your house was. That sounds very scary and what I expected it would be like. Hope things get better for you after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but on the flipside though, at least from what I've been able to gather from your posts over the years, you also don't really have any of the places (card shows, card shops, toy stores, etc.) that you'd like to go there either. Plus you get an awful lot of snow, and could easily get some sort of blizzard of the century, that ends up wreaking untold havoc on the are. There's no such thing as the perfect place to live, you just have to weigh the pros and cons, and decide what's right for you.

      Thank you, as I said, it could've been much worse.

      Delete
  11. Dang. Very scary stuff. I've never experienced a tornado or a hurricane and after reading this post I don't want to. Hope your eye feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given where you live, the odds of you experiencing either is extremely low, of course CA has it's own fair share of problems, namely earthquakes.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. Earthquakes are no joke. Well... at least the big ones.

      Delete
    3. The little ones aren't that funny either.

      Delete
  12. Wow. That's crazy. I'm glad you and the house came out of it unharmed. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was pretty crazy, and not the good kind of crazy either!

      Delete
  13. I should go back and change the passage about enjoying thunderstorms, to... I used to enjoy thunderstorms! A couple more of these are gonna give me the PTSD. And it is a nice piece of land, looks better though when there aren't downed trees everywhere.

    ReplyDelete