Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Buybacks from The City of Champions part 2

This will be a very quick one card post to show off a 2009 Upper Deck 20th anniversary buybacks Sil Campusano, that Josh (@JoshSamBob) was kind enough to send my way:


Before getting this card, I was unaware that Upper Deck had even done this. It looks like it was just a one time deal to commemorate the '89 set. In case you're wondering (I was), the answer is yes, they did stamp at least few of Junior's rookies. And according to past sales on eBay, they go for a hefty sum. So I guess I will have to look elsewhere for a card #1 to start off the frankenset.

As for sil Campusano, I don't remember him during his playing days so I did a little checking. Apparently he played three years in the majors, two with Toronto and one with Philly. His only claim to fame seems to be that in 1990 (then with the Phillies) he broke up Doug Drabek's (Pirates) bid at a no-hitter with a single in the ninth with two outs. I'm guessing Mr. Drabek was none to happy to have a career .202 hitter ruin his chance at a no-no, but he did still get the win in the 11-0 shutout.

Thanks again, Josh! This one will really stand out amongst all the other Topps buybacks.

Thank you for taking a moment to look at my page.

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea UD ever went the buyback route either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like they went ahead and did it, but forgot to tell anyone that they were doing it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'll tell you what's rad, rad is getting a new comment on an eight month old post:)

      Delete