Friday, November 16, 2018

Pigskin purchases

With all of the Secret Santa stuff that's been going on for the last couple of weeks, a few of my planned posts have gotten pushed back, two of those being the last of the recaps from the big September card show.

I've already covered the baseball, as well as all of the stuff that fit into the miscellaneous
category, so that brings us to the football side of things... and there was an awful lot of neat football cards to be had that day.

I ended up coming home with probably two posts worth of stuff, but I've done my best to try and condense it down to one. And just like the baseball cards that I featured a few weeks back, everything shown here today came from either a 5/$1, 6/$1, or a dime box. After finding so much in the bargain boxes, I didn't even bother going through anyone's more expensive boxes... long live the cheap stuff!

Might as well start with a few refractors, because everybody likes those, right?

I even found a couple of vertical refractors. Both of these are really great action shots, and the Steve Smith is #'d to /299, so that's something.

X-Fractor's are always fun too, the Chris Barnes Bowman Chrome is by far the most attractive of these in person. I really dig the Tony Gonzalez sepia refractor as well, and I was a bit surprised to get that one for 15 cents, because there's always a lot Atlanta people at these shows (especially the bigger one's), so Falcons can sometimes carry a premium here.

What would a card show be without 90's inserts? I just bought one of the Barry Sanders Leading Legends on COMC a couple of months ago, but I'm not opposed to the idea of having two (or more).

Two gold parallels, both from 1999, and both from two of my favorite late 90's sets.

Sorry for the bad picture on this one, but I knew that my scanned wouldn't be able to handle a mini that is this mini. I had no idea that these Card-Supial minis even existed, I've never seen one for sale anywhere, and I wasn't collecting Crown Royale back in 1999, so this was a completely new one to me. Sometimes minis can be not so mini, but for these cards, the term mini truly does seem apt, don't believe me? Well, here's something to give you a sense of scale:

See, that's a mini card! Edgerrin is being shown next to a pair of cards that were also acquired at this show. Danny is a promo from the 1997 Leaf Reproduction set, and even though I don't get terribly excited over the idea of owning rookie cards, but for twenty cents, I will grab any vintage HOFer's that I happen to come across.

2000 was the year of the purple insert! Well, maybe not, the Crowell actually has a silver finish in person, I think he just picked up some of Kurt's purple during the scanning process (look pretty cool though).

I've been pretty big on the Prizm basketball cards (pre 2016-17) for a couple of years now, but I've only just recently started scratching the surface on their football counterparts. I don't seem to be finding too many at shows so far, but I did come across this colorful trio from the 2014 set. I wish I would've known that Dan Hampton had a card in this set a little sooner, but no matter, now that I do I've already gone ahead and picked up a few more of his parallels on COMC, and will probably grab a few more during the upcoming Black Friday sale.

When going through dime boxes, I don't always pay a lot of attention to the newer stuff, but a few things will inevitably stand out, these were those things. The Clay Matthews insert is kind of neat, not only is it #'d to /188, but it's also got a sort of lenticular-esque thing going on. I will say though, that after a couple of weeks (or months), the Panthers insert isn't really doing anything for me anymore, so I guess I'll have to see if Colbey wants it.

The great thing about card shows is that you never know what you're going to come across, case in point, I just so happened to stumble upon one of my new favorite cards of all-time at this last show:

Look at that! I mean seriously, how awesome is this card? If you answered with anything less than "It's crazy awesome", you're dead to me! I saw Nick Barnett play a ton at Oregon State, and I saw a couple of his games with the Packers, but after that I kind of forgot about him... this image tells me that that was clearly a mistake on my part.

I tried to find out a little bit about the image, but didn't get very far. With all of the pink that can be seen, as well as the vampire fangs being sported by Mr. Barnett, it's obvious that it's October, and probably close to Halloween. Nick played for the Bills during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, and seeing that Topps released it's 2012 flagship in September of that year, this photo was obviously taken during the 2011 season. The Bills played a game at the Rogers Center (Toronto) on October 30th of 2011, which seems like it would be an appropriate time for fangs, but after looking at some pictures of the field, I just can't tell if it matches or not. The Bills New Era Field has the same dirt track around their field of play as well, so if it was a home game, it had to be their October 9th game against the Eagles. That as far as I got, and at this point I'm tired of trying to figure it out, and I honestly don't really care anymore.

I don't know how it is that I've gone this long without knowing about this card, but now that I do, I want as many copies as possible (base and parallels)!

Things got a bit wordy there at the end, didn't they? For anyone that is interested, I finally got around to scanning all of the basketball cards that were gotten at this same show, and I'm planning on having that post ready to go by Tuesday.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent haul! I love the Kurt Warner card. And I have that Steve Young card -- it is a beauty in-hand! You have good taste. :-)
    http://royalsandrandoms.blogspot.com/2017/04/20000-cards-box-1-layer-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that post, and apparently I commented on it too. It's just too bad that the scanner can't bring out the full awesomeness of the Steve Young card.

      Delete
  2. Very, very nice. Love the Clay Matthews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty nice, I hope I can come across some more cheap examples from that insert set.

      Delete
  3. Seeing these Topps football cards makes me realize how much I miss Topps having the NFL license. I don’t usually buy a lot of packs, opting to go for singles or team sets. Panini does a good job with the license, but like with Topps’ monopoly in baseball I wonder how some competition would effect football cards?

    Speaking of the Panthers cards, yeah, anything you don’t want would be welcomed here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't understand the monopoly thing at all, and I don't see how any one could argue that it's a good thing. I rarely buy packs either, it doesn't make much sense for me do so -- I mean I could buy a $5 fat pack of something, and end up with 30 cards that I don't want, or I could spend $5 at a card show and get everything that was shown in this post and still have money left over.

      I will set that card aside then, I think I might have a few more things for you, I'll make a note to self and try to do some digging in the next week or so and see what I can come up with.

      Delete
  4. Lots of great snags and if you have an extra Barry and want to let it go just give me a tweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soo much shiny! Lots of great finds for under a quarter here, the Langer and Matthews caught my eyes, and the Foster is very nice. That Steve Young is fire, though.

    I almost didnt notice the fake fangs on Nick Barnett, because of the way he was squatting and shouting..kinda looks like he's dropping a deuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and by deuce, I assume we're talking about a Duce Staley? :)

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't be able to avoid those cheap refractors. They get me every time. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kürt Warner’s Stat Stars is hard to look...hard to focus. Great pick ups!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It certainly is a card that has a lot going on design-wise.

    ReplyDelete