Thursday, November 29, 2018

The binder that keeps on giving

A couple of months back, Kerry, of Cards on Cards, happen upon one of those semi-mythical card finds at Goodwill, which came in the form of a binder that was filled with nothing but 90's football inserts and parallels -- a binder by the way, that only set him back a cool five bucks!

Kerry has earned the reputation of being a very generous fellow, and he used this purchase to further that reputation by giving away the majority of the binder's contents.

Without going back and looking, I want to say that I was the first person claim anything via his giveaway post. I knew that there was going to be some interest in these cards, and since I always worry about coming across as greedy in instances such as these, I did my best to keep my claims to a minimum... but I still ended up with some really neat cards.

I wonder if anybody else would've claimed the available Pro Set if I hadn't? Even with six out of the seven being inserts, I'm guessing that there wasn't going to be a lot of interested parties.

1992 Score was the last football set that I can remember buying during my original card collecting run, so to say that I missed out on a lot would be a major understatement. Football cards seem to have been my main interest for much of this past year, and the way it's looking, they probably will be next year as well. It's been a lot of fun for me to find, and learn about, over twenty years worth of missed sets, 1993 Pacific Prism being one of them. I picked up a couple at a card show about six months ago, and haven't come across any more since (in person that is), so when I saw these two in the binder, well, I just had to have them.

It may have scanned terribly, but this '94 Score Gold Zone of Cris Carter was the main card that I had targeted (wide receiver pun!) when it came time to stake my claim. It doesn't get too much better than a 90's parallel that a) is shiny, b) features a hall of famer, and c) contains an action shot.

Thank you again for the cards, Kerry! Even though I've gotten a little lazy when it comes to sending cards out as of late, I will try to have something headed your way some time in the very near future


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. Herman Moore was a beast. Have a feeling you may be seeing some more Moore soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be getting mentioned quite a bit during our interactions. As far as your second statement goes, ????????????????

      Delete
  2. Great cards. Love those old Pro Set sets. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be a whole heck of a lot of 'em out there still, but the Pro Set sets are still really fun.

      Delete
  3. That's a nice little giveaway prize-and you weren't being greedy to claim them. I'm trying to remember if I had any of the Pro Set inserts back then..Red Grange, maybe.

    Pacific Prisms were a special treat for me as a young collector. They were hard to find and expensive. I can't recall how much packs cost but there were only two cards (one Prism and one 'paper')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the Santa's, I never knew that Pro Set had any inserts, which is odd because I bought quite a bit of that stuff when I was young.

      Thanks for letting me know how the Prisms were distributed, I don't know if that'll ever come in handy or not, but it's still nice to know :)

      Delete
  4. I love ProSet. I've spent whole days looking through monster boxes of the stuff squinting at the lines between the stats searching for variations. If I wasn't so far along with most of them, I'd be hoarding the stuff. Hockey too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At one time I thought I might start collecting the errors too, but after looking into it, I realized that it was just going to be too overwhelming for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have been all over the 1990 Pro Set cards. There was a time when I was putting together a master set, but there are just way too many errors and variations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about quite a few people who are attempting a master set, I wish all of them the very best with their pursuit, because that is some serious dedication, more than I could ever muster for one particular set.

      Delete
  7. I love and miss ProSet football,Lombardi Trophy Hologram was my favorite chase card,which I finally got a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on landing that Lombardi hologram, I remember when that card was about as big of a deal as anything -- and taking a quick look at the current prices, it's apparently still a much sought after card, which makes me very happy :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome. Back in the day, that binder was probably worth hundreds of dollars. The Santa card wasabi chase card back then. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, in the pre-eBay days, it probably was. I absolutely love the Santa cards, a love that started way back when I pulled one out of a '91 pro set pack.

    ReplyDelete