Friday, July 5, 2019

COMC Shuffle #17

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard.

1961-62 Fleer #27
I've noticed a lot of changes on COMC this year, most of them not being for the better. From what I've seen so far, I think that last year might've been the last year that a body could find cheap cards ($5 and under) from this set.



2018 Panini Classics Timeless Tributes Blue #158
The only way this card could have been any better is if Panini had added a green bordered parallel to the 2018 Classics set.

2012 Panini Black Friday Kings #1
I think that I've now shown the three (out of four) Progressions that I have for this card. I didn't really need them, but I also got the base card (above), and the Cracked Ice card (future post). The details that one can find on the internet about these sets are somewhat questionable (Panini didn't provide any hard numbers), but supposedly there might also be an autographed version of this card out there that is numbered to /3 or less. While owning such a card would be neat, I decided quite some time ago to pass on the whole "holding my breath" thing, as the odds of finding one (and being able to afford it) would be so slim that it just isn't worth my effort (or anguish) to try and do so.

1933 Goudey #66
Condition wise, this is probably the worst of my Goudey's from last year. Conversely, image wise, it's one of the best Goudey's that I picked up last year.


2012 Panini Black Friday Progressions - Magenta #28
I didn't see him play to much pro ball, but I did see quite a few of Brandon's college outings, and I kind of like him as a person, so why not get at least one cool card of him? I wouldn't mind trying to complete this rainbow, and seeing as how two of the other colors are currently available via COMC, it might not be too hard to do, but I haven't really put too much into it yet, so I still just have the one card here.

1962 Topps #468
I don't own very many cards of Brooks Robinson. I found this one on sale for right around $4. After looking at the current prices on the site, I think it was a pretty good purchase.

2013 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #SST
Think fast!

1963 Topps #4
I got on a bit of a Roger Maris kick last year (it hasn't gone away), so I bought a few cards of his, this being one of them.

1996-97 Topps Stadium Club Matrix #1
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa????????? Shawn Kemp getting dunked on?????????? Best card ever???????? Why am I using so many question marks???????????????????????????????? :)

Seriously though, I really love this card (even though the "Matrix" effect isn't visible via the scan), if only because it features two of my all-time favorite players in a highly unusual situation. Oh, and I don't know if anyone cares or not, but here's THE dunk:


1976 Hostess #95
It took awhile, but I've finally realized that I will no longer be trying to finish this set, so in retrospect, this card's purchase was not a great one -- but this isn't the first time that I've said that about a COMC purchase, and it probably won't be the last.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

11 comments:

  1. I've always loved the Matrix parallel...wish they had done it in series 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet a lot of MJ collectors wish that they would've too!

      Delete
  2. That Jaws parallel is sweet, but yeah it would have been perfect in green. I love the '62 Brooks, too ("3 base"? They couldn't fit an 'rd' in there?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 Base caught my eye too. Looking at the set online, the AL All-Stars had 1 Base, 2 Base and 3 Base. The NL All Stars had 1st Base, 2nd Base, 3rd Base.

      Delete
    2. I didn't even notice the 3 base? It would be interesting to know why AL and NL All-Stars were different.

      Delete
  3. I don't have any original Goudey cards in my collection. I may end up changing that at The National this summer, but I'm not going to make any promises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The National seems like as good of a place as any to find (and get) your first Goudey. All of mine have come from COMC. With the exception of one, all have fell into the $5-$8 range. The days of finding such deals are starting to look very limited.

      Delete
  4. Those matrix look amazing and that design that year was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so nice in person. I just wish I knew how to properly describe the effect that they have, it's sort of like a refractor, but also not really?

      Delete
  5. It's a shame you won't be chasing down that 76 Hostess set. It's a beauty. That Bell looks like it's in super clean condition.

    P.S. I love 90's basketball and basketball cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but there's only so much money to go around. Plus, at this point, I have almost no interest in trying to collect sets anymore, and I don't think that the want will be coming back, so there's no need to keep pretending like I might actually finish the set at some later date.

      Delete