Friday, July 12, 2019

COMC Shuffle #18

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1999-00 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes #GH10
Inserts don't get too much better than this! I keep hoping that someday I'll find more cards from this set at a show for some ridiculously low price, it might be a long wait though, as to date I've yet to ever see one at a show for any price.

1999-00 Upper Deck HoloGrFX AuSOME #36AU
I saw some random person on Twitter recently who said that KVH's NBA career was a disappointment... people on Twitter say some really dumb s***!

1961-62 Fleer #56
Mildly fun fact: I share a birthday with Johnny Kerr.

2013-14 Panini Prizm Red, White, & Blue Mosaic Prizms #243 (x2) 
This scan is really bad, my apologies.

1964 Topps #155
I don't know why exactly, but this seems to be Duke's most affordable base card? I would've thought that his last card might carry a bit of premium (it does for some other star players), but it doesn't, so if you're looking for a cheap Duke, and you don't care what uniform he's in, this is the one to look for.

2018 Panini Classics Timeless Tributes Gold #135
Raymond Berry has been the "special" guest at the Nashville shows multiple times now. I'd kind like to get something signed in person by him, but his prices are a bit on the high side for me, oh well, at least I can say that I've seen him multiple times in person.

1997-98 NBA Hoops Frequent Flyer #12
This is an insert set that I remember very vividly, hard to believe that it's been over twenty years since it came out.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Blue Prizms #28
After this last year's playoff run, I wonder if LaMarcus feeling blue over his decision to leave Portland?

2013-14 Panini Prizm Green Prizms #260
I hate this photo, but green bordered Celtics are always cool, so...

2013 Panini Cooperstown Collection Green Crystal Shard #96
One of these days I'm gonna have to suck it up and just buy the Honus that I need to complete this set. I don't really care about finishing it anymore, but it would be nice to be able to say that I did indeed complete one parallel set during my time as a card collector.

As an aside, after the shuffler got done doing it's thing this week, I noticed that the COMC folder was starting to look a little bare, so I went ahead and counted how many cards were left. Apparently I've got almost exactly 12 1/2 more posts worth of stuff in there, which means this series will be going dormant right around the middle of October, I guess I better start planning on what I'm going to replace them with, it's gonna be tough though as these have been my primary source of card material for the last couple of months, and I don't foresee a huge influx of incoming cards anytime soon, well, at least not until the end of the year when I have my current COMC stash shipped, but even that'll much smaller than those of previous years.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

19 comments:

  1. I've seen a couple bloggers ask for our favorite '90s insert sets and I always forget stained glass cards. That Malone is a beauty!

    Van Horn was just coming up when I was turning off of basketball, so I don't know if it was injuries or high draft status that would lead people to believe he was a disappointment.

    The Wilkins, Aldridge, and Russell are all awesome. I'm usually a sucker for color-matching parallels but the blue Aldridge looks really nice. Portland would be a force if he stuck around. Not sure he'd fit under the cap-but after all the craziness this offseason I'm going to start cheering for guys like Dame and C.J. who try to win where they are.

    I need more Duke Snider cards in my collection. Had a bit of a PC but it's gone dormant.

    If you run out of cards to show off on COMC Shuffle you could always make another purchase. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Kevin Garnett and Antoine Walker as well, but I think that KM tops both of them as far as looks go.

      Yeah, I don't what people were expecting, in my mind he had a pretty solid career, certainly not HOF worthy, but still very serviceable.

      Aldridge and Lillard would've both had to have taken a pay cut to fit under the cap, plus they would've had to iron out their differences, which hey've supposedly done, but it took LA's leaving for them to do so.

      I too need more Duke Snider cards, I think I only have three or four, but his stuff tends to be on the pricier side, and that's just something that I can't do right now.

      I'm too cheap to pay for shipping when I know that I can just wait until the end of November and get my cards sent for free. I had planned on padding out a few weeks of posts with my version of your "Favorite Things", I even commented on your post about turning it into a mini-series. I started working on it, then I saw that Fuji had the same idea, and even though mine were going to be structured differently, I don't want it to come across as me copying him, so I probably won't be doing that now -- thankfully I was just getting started with the lists and hadn't put too much time into it yet.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen those Gallery of Heroes stained glass cards. Pretty cool idea, considering how pro sports is like a religion to some fans. The design is well executed, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't ever thought of the whole sports/religion connection before, I will now forever be looking at them in a different light.

      Delete
  3. I keep forgetting how nice those stained glass cards are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As amazing as they are, I do tend to forget about them as well, it's just too darn hard to remember everything!

      Delete
  4. That Malone is a thing of beauty.
    Some peeps on Twitter do have some smart things to say also but, I do know where you're coming from.
    If you share a birthday with Johnny Kerr, looks like you'll age will be going up very soon.
    Those Prizm cards hurt my eyes but, at work today, we were actually talking about The Human Highlight Film.
    Berry was a much better player than coach but, he did manage to get the Patriots to their first Superbowl. Long before it became commonplace around these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is!

      I seem to encounter more of dumb comments, than I do smart ones.

      Yep, too soon!

      In connection with his time in Boston?

      That's right, I had forgotten all about his time as a coach.

      Delete
  5. Sweet Duke! His cards are kinda hard to find cheap for some reason. The few I have are way off-condition and thus fit within my budget -- I doubt I'd own any if not for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he was a pretty good player, so that might have something to do with his higher prices, and I might be mistaken but, I think some of his cards are either semi-high or high numbers, which if true probably doesn't help either.

      Delete
  6. The Gallery of Heroes inserts were awesome! I've written about them a few times on my blog, but don't think I own any basketball ones. After checking COMC, it looks like I might need to grab a Kobe for my collection.

    As for KVH, he had a solid career. There are plenty of guys who wish they had his numbers. However... I also remember guys who paid top dollar for his rookie cards. There was a time when his 97/98 Chrome rookie card sold in the $40 to $50 range. I'm sure you can find them in quarter bins somewhere out there. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the guy on Twitter who called his career a "disappointment" was one of those guys who dropped $50 on his Chrome rookie card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't have any of the baseball ones! Might want to look somewhere other than COMC when it comes time to purchase the Kobe.

      You could be right about the source of the KVH hate, I mean it certainly plausible, although I'd hate to think that after over twenty years someone could still be so bitter over such a trivial thing.

      Delete
  7. I couldn't even look at the rest. I was too focused on Malone. What a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the shuffler should've led off with something else then.

      Delete
  8. I think that is the only duke snider topps card that i don't have from his playing days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. That's pretty amazing!
      B. That makes sense, as it's the only that doesn't show him in a Dodgers uni.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. No need for it in my collection, but still a very nice card.

      Delete
  9. Keith Van Horns career was a disappointment for Nets fans. That Malone is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's all about perspective then, because I watched an awful lot of Nets games during the late 90's and early 00's, and I don't recall thinking anything negative about him.

      Delete