Friday, July 26, 2019

COMC Shuffle #20

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

2012 Panini Black Friday Panini Collection Progressions - Yellow #BM
When it comes to the Progressions, yellow is usually my least favorite of the colors, however, in Biz' case, it's my favorite. To me, it just pops.

2013 Panini Golden Age Historic Signatures #SMC
This is kind of a crossover card for me, as not only was it a needed Golden Age auto, but it also features Sam McDowell, who went 8-0 (with a 1.18 ERA) during his nine-game stint with the Portland Beavers back in 1964.

2015-16 Panini Prizm Red, White, & Blue Prizm #41
I'm not overly fond of this card, but it was a cheap LA that I didn't have, so I got it. This will be one of the few Prizm parallels that I'm collecting THAT I won't need multiples of... unless of course I happen upon a few more in a dime box!

1962 Topps Mars Attacks! #23
Even though it's fairly contemporary, I can't see this card and not think of this:


2018 Panini Classics Timeless Tributes Gold #138
Right after this set came out, a blue optichrome (#'d to /5) Marcus Allen hit eBay, I tried to bid on it, but ended up losing in spectacular fashion... that sure was a pretty card :(

1997-98 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor #120
I've been trying to cut down on random purchases, but '97-98 atomic refractors are so darn hard to pass up when priced at less than a buck.

1998-99 Upper Deck Ionix Reciprocal #R24
John Starks in a Warriors uni still doesn't look right.

2013 Panini Father's Day Museum Collection Progressions - Magenta #MC-4
I love me some Progressions, but I'm not too keen on this one. Don't ask me why, because I don't really know, I'm just not feeling it. I got a little carried away with the Progressions, and this is one that I probably should've left behind. If I ever get around to trading via the TCDB, this'll be one of the first cards that I make available.

1933 Goudey #171

Charlie Jamieson was a new name for me, as are about half of the Goudey's I get. His last game played was in '32, so it was kind of nice of the Goudey folks to include him in this set. After 18 seasons, Charlie finished with a .303 average and 1990 hits, which wasn't too shabby for someone who started out as a pitcher (went 2-1 in the bigs). Other notable accomplishments include winning a World Series with Cleveland in 1920, and in 1923 his 222 hits were tops in the American League.

2014-15 Panini Prizm Green Prizms #144
An appropriately colored parallel given Wes' new team. Love the guy, and he will forever be one of my favorite Blazers, but I sure do wish that he would've signed with just about anybody other than Milwaukee.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. How many 1933 Goudey cards do you have now? Also, why don't you like the Bucks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't feel like looking for the binder that they're in, but if I had to guess, I'd say somewhere around 35-40. Going into this year I had had a pretty good stretch of getting cheap examples on COMC, but I haven't gotten a single one this year so far -- I think the days of finding affordable cards like that on COMC are coming to an end.

      It's not that I don't like the Bucks per se, they just feel like a flavor of the moment kind of team right now, sort of like how the Warriors were a few years ago. Everybody seems to be jumping on the bandwagon, and guys are flocking to the team in hopes of winning a ring -- it'll be interesting to see what happens when Giannis leaves in a year or two.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing all these progressions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably one of the select few who does!

      Delete
  3. I was a big John Starks fan. It's not only jarring to see him on the Warriors, but those 1990s unis don't really help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, those weren't a good look. Now if he was in one of those late 80's/early 90's Warriors uniforms...

      Delete
  4. Agree with you on the look of those 1997-98 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractors. Beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atomic refractors and a sweet John Starks?! Yes,!!

    ReplyDelete