Thursday, July 18, 2019

COMC Shuffle #19

Another week, another ten randomly selected cards from last year's COMC hoard!

1969 Topps #34
Even though Merlin's actual rookie card was in the 1964 Philadelphia set, this one from five years later also gets labeled as a rookie, why? Because it's his first Topps card, so therefor it's considered to be his Topps "rookie"... card collecting can be really dumb sometimes! Despite it's faux rookie status, I absolutely love this card, so much so, that I wouldn't mind completing an entire page of it. I think I have three or four now, so I'm pretty sure that attempting to fill a page would be very doable.

2015-16 Panini Prizm Light Blue Prizms #274
Such a classic photo! This ones in my top 3 from the 2015-16 set, partly because of the image, and partly because it looks good in any color, although I am of the opinion that the light blue and red are the two best looking parallels for this particular card.

1999-00 Skybox E-X E-Xceptional #7XC
This is a set that I really wanted to complete at one time, but I waited too long to try and do so, and with the amount of fake Kobe's that are out there now, I'm just not comfortable trying to buy one and hope that it's real -- and buying a graded one doesn't necessarily insure it's authenticity either, especially now that we know a little bit more about how the grading companies have been operating, and who knows what other revelations will come out further down the line. Thank goodness the Asian counterfeiters don't bother with guys like Pippen (at least not in this set), so I can at least buy a few of these (I've got three of Scottie) when they're cheap, and not have to worry about their authenticity.

2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary #490.2
I feel like I used to know what particular moment was being celebrated in this photo, but for the life of me I can no longer recall the specifics behind it, anyone?

1971-72 Topps #67
I'm less than 20 cards away from completing this set, but I'm not so sure that I'll be trying to finish it anymore. I still need Jerry West, as well as the rookies of Barry and Cowens, all of three of which have proven to be quite difficult to find in relatively good condition, at an affordable price. Plus I continue to move further and further away from sets, anymore I just don't see the appeal of spending a bunch of money to complete something, only to then put it away in a binder, or a box, and then never look at it again (that is what most people do). I do wish though that I hadn't gotten so far a long on some of these sets before coming to this realization.

1962 Post #58
As of 1962, Nick was the Lions all-time leading rusher. As of 2019, he's #5, and we all know who's number one on that list!

2014-15 Panini Prizm Yellow and Red Mosaic Prizms #205
It's always interesting to see how two of the same Prizm cards will scan together, there's always one that ends up looking better than the other, I don't know a lot about such things, but I'm assuming that it has something to do with the direction of the light that is scanning across them.

2012 Panini Black Friday Panini Collection - Cracked Ice #BM
Much like the Jim Brown Progressions rainbow that I'm hoping to complete at some point (as well as the Chris Kreider rainbow that I did complete), I went ahead and bought the base and cracked ice versions for the Biz Markie rainbow that is also 3/4 of the way towards being completed.

2014 Panini Prizm Red, White, & Blue Prizms #89
Roses are red, violets are blue, something something... J-Stew :)

2013 Panini Father's Day Progressions - Cyan #13
I don't always buy Kobe's, but when I do...

Stay thirsty my friends!


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. I've always loved that Merlin Olsen card, too. I think your copy of it may look better than mine. Love the Duke Snider card, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thunderous Dawkins card! I think the duke photo is from game 2 of the 1955 world series. That would be pee wee and Jim gilliam greeting him if so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find any images to verify whether or not it is from that game, but if anyone's going to know, it's probably you, so I'll go with it, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Cool Olsen. I'm glad you pointed out his 1964 Philadelphia card, because I would have though this was his rookie card. Still remember the days when Beckett would just slap a FTC (first Topps card) next to the card in their magazines.

    P.S. Sweet Kobe printing plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really was a Beckett person, so I didn't even know about the FTC thing, now that I do, it sounds kind of lame.

      The Kobe isn't a printing plate, it's one of Panini's Progressions/proofs, regular card stock with a blank back, limited to five copies per color.

      Delete
  4. The 2011 Topps cognac parallels are going to go down as some of the best cards of the modern era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty snazzy! Topps had a pretty decent run of parallels from 2011-2013, especially for those of us who enjoy sparkly things.

      Delete