Friday, November 1, 2019

Being a batboy was the best

Between work-work, and work around the house, or rather outside work around the house, October really got away from me. It's a good thing that the Halloween decorations went up at the beginning of September, otherwise they might not have gotten put up this year, as the month truly was that busy.

I had planned on doing many Halloween themed posts this year, but didn't end up getting any of them finished (insert sad faced emoji here) -- I do have a few that are half finished though, so don't be too surprised if a few of season posts show up in your respective blogroll's sometime in the next few months (I'm not going to sit on them until next year).

Now that November is here, things will be slowing down quite a bit, which means more blogging, I even have a big announcement scheduled for Monday, well, maybe not a big announcement, but an announcement will be forthcoming -- after all, 'tis the season for announcement's :)

In the meantime, I realize that my last couple of posts weren't sports related, or even card related, which I know irritates some (I know because they've told me), so I'm gonna try and make up for it by relaying a short baseball story that I recently came across.

I found this story by Richard McCabe in the 1998 May/June issue of Reminisce, and thought it might be of interest to some, especially those that are fans of 50's baseball. As you can see, it's not a very long article, but might be a bit hard to read in it's present form, so in order to make it more readable I did some virtual cutting and pasting, the results of which can be seen (and read) below:


Short but sweet, yes? Oddly enough this was the only halfway decent article in this particular issue, so I wouldn't recommend running out and buying this one. As for me, I did get a blog post out of it, which I guess is worth the fifty cents that I paid for the magazine?


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. I was actually kind of hoping to see the Batboy from the tabloids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love the Weekly World News paper, I would get one about once a month during the late 90's, although ironically the only one's that I didn't ever buy... were the one's that featured Batboy!

      Delete
  2. Great story! And who the hell is telling someone else what they should blog about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, believe it or not, two people have told me what I shouldn't be covering -- once via email, and the other time came shortly after I joined Twitter via a DM.

      Delete
  3. Really? someone complained about non sport posts? They must not read mine because not everything is about sports even though my blog name says otherwise. Your blog name doesn't say sports everyday....just sayin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or they do, but just like you and/or your content better?

      Delete
  4. People actually told you that the non-sports posts irritate them? Lol. Wow. Kudos to you for trying to actually please them. You're a better human being than me. It's your blog and you should write what you want to write. Well... that's my philosophy at least.

    As for the batboy article... man the 50's were a different time. Mr. Logan asked the kid his name, where he lived, and what school he attended? If he did that now... he'd be going to jail. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's happened twice. I didn't mean for that statement to be the takeaway from this post, it's not the reason why I did this one (I was being a bit facetious), I did it more because of the fact that I've been struggling to finish posts lately, and thought an easy one might help take some of the pressure off.

      The asking of where he lived really stood out to me too, but like you said, it was a different time... one might even say that it was a better time?

      Delete
    2. You won't hear me arguing whether or not it was a better time. One of the things I love to do is talk about my childhood with my students and last week we talked about how Halloween has evolved. Back in the day my friends and I would hit multiple neighborhoods and spend hours trick or treating. Most of my students hit up three or four streets and call it an evening... and those are the ones that have parents that allow them to go out. Some will only take them to the local mall.

      I won't offend anyone by stating that my childhood was any better or worse than others, but there's nothing in the world that would make me take off 35 years of my life and become a kid again.

      Delete
    3. I hear you, I too can remember spending hours out trick or treating, and even by like age 9 or 10, there were no parents around, just kids... kids having fun! You forgot to mention this "trunk or treat" thing that's going around now. I don't care if I offend anyone when I say that who ever came up with this idea should be shot. The concept is so foreign to me, and I can't even imagine being a kid and participating in such an activity.

      I say it all the time away from the blog, but I too would not want to be a kid in this day and age, and am very grateful for getting to grow up in the time that I did.

      Delete