Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Tales from the Thrift Store vol. 16

It feels like I haven't done a thrift store post in a while, and after checking, I can now confirm that it's been a bit since my last one, almost two months to be exact.

I've been in one of those stretches again, where other than the grocery store, I haven't been going out too much, and by that I mean not going to public places. I think that I've only been to three non-grocery stores since a little before Christmas, and two of those were Goodwill.

I picked up a few things during each of those Goodwill trips, things that I'll just combine into one post, two separate post would be overkill.

The first stop was either on New Year's Eve (I'm a real party animal), or New Year's Eve eve, I can't remember which, but either way it was at the end of December.


And here's how I spent part of my evening on New Year's Eve (yep, party animal!). This one was new to me, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. My only real criticism would be that the film was a little too short, but that's only because I wanted to see more of Monty Woolley's character, as an actor he never disappoints! The tape was marketed as a Marilyn film, but this was two years before her first "big" film (Niagara), so she's still in bit part mode here -- but even with just around five minutes of screen-time, you can definitely see what was coming, especially in regards to her underutilized comedy chops.


Yeah, I know, I could probably watch this episode for free on the Vudu/Hulu/goo goo g'joob, but I'm a physical media guy through and through, and anyone reading should know this by now.


Finding a Cagney film that I haven't seen is always a good thing. I still haven't watched it yet, so I can't offer up any sort of insight at this time.


This was a very fortuitous find, as not more than a week prior, my mom had asked me to keep an eye out for this film, and then what happens, I find it! This also happens to be the first copy of the movie that I've ever come across, so it makes her asking about it, and my finding it so quick just that much more weird.


20 movies for $2... sold! I love finding public domain multi-packs, especially the one's where I don't already have too many the films in other sets. In this particular instance, I only had one of them. I've only watched four so far -- Alien Contamination (gory, not for the kiddos), Battle of the Worlds (loved it), They (hokey, but had a great premise), and This is not a Test (another good one) -- but it's already been the worth the price tag, and I still have fifteen to go.

The second visit wasn't planned, but I was driving by, and had some extra time, so I figured why not? Given how much I found, I'm glad that I decided to pop in.


There were a lot of great old shows on in syndication when I was a kid, unfortunately this wasn't one of them -- I like it now, but I would've loved it back then.


I had seen everything on this tape many, many, times... not a great purchase!


I'm not gonna lie, my heart skipped a beat when I saw this one. For those that don't know, J.P. Patches was a kids show out of Seattle, and to my knowledge, isn't widely known, at least not to most folks under the age of about 40. Given that I'm on the other side of the country now, I figure that this video must've come here via a fellow transplant. For any of you horror host fans out there, you may or may not recognize one of the show's director's, Joe Towey, as he was Seattle's horror host du jour (The Count) on Nightmare Theatre for six or seven years way back when. And I just so happen to own a pretty cool piece of Nightmare Theatre memorabilia that I hope to share on here at some point.


I've been finding an awful lot of sealed tapes as of late, not that I'm complaining mind you, I just sort of wonder where there all coming from. I can't imagine that there's too many places still around that would have a bunch of new/old stock sealed VHS tapes just laying about, and non-video collectors don't tend to have a lot of sealed videos sitting around either, so I don't know what's going on?

[Note: all of the backs contain the same generic show info, so I didn't bother photographing them] I think I'm permanently burned out on Dean's Celebrity Roasts, but I'll never get tired of clips from his variety show... although entire episodes would be much more ideal!


Like a lot of other things in this post, finding cheap DC animated films, that I don't already own, is always a treat. This one had been on the radar for a while, but I wasn't looking to pay $10 or more for it, $2 will do though. This one was pretty good, although the interconnecting stories are done in different styles of anime, and anime isn't my favorite kind of animation, but I can watch it in small doses. Animation style aside, getting to hear Kevin Conroy voice Batman is never a bad thing, and goes a long way in making up for anime-ness of the film.

I didn't go back and add it up, but I'm pretty that the total sum of everything in this post was less than $10 -- that's a lot of hours worth of entertainment, for not very much money! For fans of the physical media posts, I've got another one slated for Sunday, this after another Free Stuff Friday on, well, Friday (spoiler alert).


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

14 comments:

  1. 20 Movie Pack! So many of these films are farcical! I enjoy them. The hokier, the better. The Brass Bottle is a great find! Lucky Mom! I never knew Jeannie's origins were based on a movie. Jon, you really should stop living life in the fast lane. The weather will be warming up soon. :) Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and Brass Bottle was loosely inspired by I Married a Witch, which was the source material for Bewitched. The less than ideal weather isn't the reason behind my not frequenting public places as of late, I spend a good chunk of my free daylight hours outside, I just haven't been in the mood to be surrounded by people.

      Delete
    2. I've missed the sunshine. We've had milder weather here but few sunny days this year. Living in the country does help me with the people problem. I certainly benefit from the open space. :)

      Delete
    3. The weather has been up and down here, lots of rain, which has led to flooding across the region. Open space has done wonders for my mental health, so much so that I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to live in the suburbs/city again... hopefully I'll never have to find out :)

      Delete
  2. I just transferred a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast to DVD this morning. I might have passed on a lot of these, and even though I may not have enjoyed it as much as you have so far, would have totally got the 20 pack of movies. I hope the Pusser movie is better than the original Walking Tall. I finally got around to seeing it last month and by the end started to feel he was as corrupt as the ones he replaced.

    Nice post, can't wait to see more. I'm hoping to make another trip to look for VHS this weekend, if I do I might post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned on your last post, you and I look for very different things, but we both enjoy looking for our respective things at the same kinds of places, so we've got that going for us! I'm not big on Walking Tall either, and I haven't watched A Real American Hero yet, so I can't tell you if it's any better yet.

      Hopefully you'll have lots of luck this weekend :)

      Delete
  3. Your tastes in movies is so eclectic! Glad you found some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it? I don't think it is, but I guess that's one of those subjective things -- it's all about perspective.

      Delete
  4. Nice bargain! But where do you keep all of this stuff? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The living room. I've talked about it before, so I won't rehash it again here, but I don't keep everything, only the stuff I like, and that I think I might actually watch again at some point -- if I had kept everything over the years, I'd probably have thousands of videos, and most certainly wouldn't have room for them all.

      Delete
  5. New Year's is my favorite holiday - to ignore completely. I'm usually online filling a cart on SportLots, or earlier on eBay before they devolved into all single card auctions for 2x more and lousy search function.

    Some interesting video choices. Would like to see some of those old apocalypse movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like a fun way to spend the day. And you're right about how bad eBay has gotten, I did win a few things the other day, but before that it had been months since I bought anything on there, and I'm down to visiting the site only once or twice a week at best.

      Delete
  6. The Rockford Files! Love the synthesizer theme song for the show. It's funny... I can totally hum that... but couldn't tell you anything about the show itself other than he was a cop or a detective or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a memorable one, that being said, I don't think that I could hum it.

      Delete