Sunday, February 16, 2020

Last minute replacement post

I had a non-card post planned for today, but thanks to some really nice weather yesterday, and then me being too tired last night from spending most of the afternoon doing outdoor work, I wasn't able to get it finished in time. I'd still like to contribute something to the old Blog O'Sphere today though, so after a quick perusal through my many scan folders, I've settled on the one with the least amount of scans in it. And as for the post that was originally scheduled for today, I should be able to finish it during the upcoming week, and will just save it for next Sunday.

I thought about doing some sort of "What do the four cards in today's post have in common?" theme, but I don't want to trick anyone into seriously trying to come up with an answer, only to find that the only thing they have in common is that all four of them came from last year's COMC stockpile, and that all four of them are cards that I actively/passively hoard -- but only had one of each in said stockpile. See, you would've been pissed if you were the one person who actually tried to find the connection, so you're welcome!

This Diamond (sparkle) Anniversary Ichiro is one of the newest member's in the hoarding club, and as such, I only have a few copies (should've started sooner). There's not much to say about this one, I just really like the card, and it's a nice image of Ichiro's (iconic?) pre-pitch batting routine.

Unlike the previous card, copies of this 2012 Topps Chrome refractor have made numerous appearances around these parts. If cheap enough, I'll grab any of this cards many parallels, but my primary focus is on these, and the Golden Sparkle's from the flagship set.

Here's one that until just recently I didn't even realize that I was hoarding. Is subconscious card hoarding a thing? Well, it must be, because I've apparently been doing it with this card for a few years now -- to the tune of around a dozen copies. Snapper wasn't born in Portland, but he grew up there, played HS basketball there, played college at Oregon, finished his professional career with the Trail Blazers, and was a member of the Blazers television broadcasting team for a number of years... so it feels only natural for me to gravitate towards him. He only has a couple of Topps issued cards, and this '75-76 is my favorite, even though he was playing for the Blazers when the card was released.

Last week you saw #114 (thanks again, Billy), well, this was #113! I don't normally look for this card on COMC, as they're usually more expensive than the $0.10-0.25 that I am accustomed to paying for them, but I happened to notice this $0.38 (the next cheapest was sixty-something cents) copy during the Black Friday sale, and just couldn't resist picking up another one, so I did.

Before I go, I just wanted to thank everyone who participated in the second Free Stuff Friday a couple of days ago. I didn't know how those posts were gonna go over, but they seem to be doing pretty well, which is nice, because I believe that even after just doing two so far, I can safely say that they are now my favorite posts to do! And to the people who did claim something during this last round, I will start working on getting everything packaged up in a few days, and should be able to get everything out within the next 8 or 9 days.

Oh, on a completely unrelated note; Matt (SCC) has a new blog, Diary Of A Collector, up and running, so I'd encourage everyone who hadn't heard yet to go check it out.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. Well, I ran right over to follow Matt and forgot to comment here. Diamonds toy with me. I acquire a stack from dime boxes then give them away. I know it's a set that would sit unfinished long past my time on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found about a hundred of them in a dime box a few years ago, bought them all, decided to build the set, then acquired maybe a handful over the next few years, and finally decided to scrap the build last year.

      Delete
  2. I need to grab a copy of both of those Ichiro's before you get them all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, there's plenty of them out there.

      Delete
  3. The Steve Jones card is incredible. As a St. Louis native, I have a bunch of Hawks cards in my collection. Never added a Spirits card. My jaw dropped when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you need to head over to COMC and plug in "St. Louis Spirits"... just be sure to put a pillow underneath that jaw of yours before doing so :)

      Delete
  4. Hard to go wrong with shiny Ichiros!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Diamond Sparkles are elusive, even though you see them all over the place. My friend is building the set. We were at a Chicago National and saw a full two or three row box full of them. He didn't feel like going through it at that moment, so we kept going. Went back for them the next day and the box was gone. He who hesitates is lost - or at least doomed to have them on his want lists forever.
    I am leisurely going after the Legends parallels myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that like the #2 thing that one shouldn't do at card show, never walk away from something and expect it to still be there when you come back for it later?

      Delete
  6. Every time you show that kemp card i lament the fact that fleer didn't move yhe sonics logo to the other corner and zoom out just a bit so you could see him in full flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was definitely room for improvement, but I've got strong childhood ties to it so I'm able to look past the flaws.

      Delete
  7. I'd definitely call Ichiro's pre-pitch batting stance "iconic". And that 2012 refractor and Kemp rookie are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout out Jon! I have some news on that blog though coming up on Monday. It's sad but it's also good news and explains a lot of what's been going on.

    Digging the diamond Ichiro!

    ReplyDelete