Tuesday, December 13, 2022

The Gods Must be Crazy II

Does anyone remember the 'Gods Must be Crazy' film series? The first two, the sequel more so than the original, were staples of pretty much every single video store for years and years. I haven't seen any of them in decades, and even though this post has nothing to do with the franchise, the title just seemed appropriate when thinking about today's post. And since it's sort of a sequel to last weeks Post Cereal cards post, I had to go with part "II".

I don't know when it was exactly, nor do I know why it was, but sometime in the last year or so, I've really started to appreciate the 1955 Bowman baseball set. Not that I previously disliked it mind you, I just hadn't paid it a ton of attention. Now all of sudden, I am paying it a lot of attention. So much so in fact, that I've even begun to entertain the hair-brained notion of trying to build the set. [Is this one of the signs of an impending mental breakdown?]

Obviously, the design is a big part of the appeal. I like too how a lot of the images look like they would've been completely at home during an early broadcast. Granted, they're in color, and they wouldn't have been seen that way by probably 99% of the population back in 1955, but that's a minor nit-pick. There's lots of wonderful shots that feature glimpses of long gone stadiums in the background as well. The overall effect is just awfully appealing.

After thinking about it some, I decided to round up all of the cards that I had from the set, and see where I stood. The above photo is where I stand. It's no Alamo, that's for sure.

I've had the Nellie Fox for a bunch of years now. That was from a fire sale on COMC. Bobby Thomson was taken from my collection of his. I got the the Brooks Lawrence from COMC as well, although it was gotten during the Rona stretch where my stuff didn't get shipped for two years, and by the time I got it, I could no longer remember why I bought it in the first place. Since I never did get to the majority of that shipment on here, I still have a better looking scan sitting in a folder, so you may see it again at some point. Gene Baker was an card show purchase. he was bought strictly because of that bandage over his right eye. And the Joe Bowman came from Jeff. I pulled that out of my Portland Beavers collection. I figure that since I've added 6 older cards to that collection in the last month, that I could take one out for another (possible) collection.

Even though I know that it would never be completed, I am seriously thinking about giving the set a go. I'll probably need to pick up starter lot of some sort before I fully commit myself to the idea though. It looked like I was gonna have a pretty good chance at one on eBay a few weeks ago, but as is often the case these days, the big money crowd made their presence known in the final minute, and that was the end of that (I'm really beginning to hate those people, with a passion). After looking around some more, it might be awhile before it's possible for me to get decent lot for a relatively decent price. In the meantime though, I think I'll keep these five together in a page and tuck it in the back of my Post/Jell-O binder, just in case. And speaking of the Post/Jell-O binder, I don't know how much good it'll do, but since there's always at least one person who will ask about such things, I've added a page to the top of the blog for them. They're also on the TCDB (pennysleeves) too.


Unrelated note #1: In case anyone missed it, Rod, from Padrographs, is trying to put together a gift for a friends upcoming birthday, and is seeking help in doing so. If anyone has various years of unwanted Topps laying around, you may be able to help. Rod has also put up a page of trade bait for those who might want something in return, so if you need some incentive to check out the link, that should do it.

Unrelated note #2: I sent out the mass email with my new mailing address a few days ago, so if you're one of the people that I thought would want it, or who asked for it, and you didn't get the email, check your promotions and spam folders as it may have slid into one of those.

14 comments:

  1. The Bowman Bowman! That Baker is something else with the Giant bandage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's gotta be a story behind it. I tried to look a few years ago to no avail, but you should probably check and see if anyone's covered it somewhere since.

      Delete
  2. For a Bowman set '55s are a little easier to come by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, should I ever start working on the set.

      Delete
  3. As you probably know, I love this set. Might have to send you a Christmas envelope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now that I think about it some more, you might be partly responsible for this.

      Delete
  4. I like the 55' set. When I first got here to GA, I found a nice stack of them hidden in a cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A. I loved both The Gods Must Be Crazy franchise when I was younger, but gotta say... I tried watching the first one a few years ago and don't think I made it through the entire movie. I own both movies on DVD, so I'm sure I'll give it another shot one day.

    B. 1955 Bowman is definitely one of those iconic looking sets that I failed to appreciate during my youth. These days... I appreciate the set... but haven't bought very many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. I haven't seen any of them in decades, so I have no idea whether or not I could make it all the way through one anymore either.

      B. I wish I would've bought more pre-boom.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the 2 Gods movies. I showed my younger coworkers the first one when it aired on TV last year. They thought it was cute, but they may be humoring me for all I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait until you, and they, discover that there's two more movies in the franchise.

      Delete
  7. The 1955 Bowman set is great. Love The Gods Must Be Crazy. I have actually been on a big 1980s movies kick (It was released in the 80s, right?) and might have to go back and watch that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some people on Twitter also mention that they're currently on an 80's kick. Given the kind of stuff that's coming out these days, it's not hard to figure out why.

      Delete