Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Chilly Willie

Despite my recent attempts to get back into trading on the TCDB, I really don't like formal trading; especially formal trading of the online variety.

My biggest problem with formal trading online is that it's virtually (pun intended) impossible to "read" the other person during negotiations. In person, you can detect all manner of feelings from ones inflection, body language, etc. All of that is lost when dealing with a keyboard and a screen; thus making it considerably easier for things to go south at any point during the process.

The possibility of things going awry is why I've really tried to avoid formal trading with fellow bloggers in recent years. Now that there's so few of us left, I feel like we all have to try and stick together as much as possible, sort of a "us against the world" thing, so I try not to upset the apple cart when possible (amongst our kind); hence my not wanting to risk souring any relations with an unsuccessful trade attempt.

All that being said, sometimes a situation arises where a formal trade will be needed to necessitate the acquiring of a desired item. This post is about just such an occasion.

I don't recall exactly when it was, so I'll just say that it was sometime in the last few months that Mike, he of Not Another Baseball Card Blog and In My Own Words fame, offered up some items for trade to any and all interested parties, and one item in particular caught my eye...

Up to this point, I had never had the good fortune to exchange cards with Mike before, so I knew that that, coupled with the nature of the item, would probably necessitate us needing to negotiate a trade of some sort. 

I needn't have worried about trading with Mike though, for he may be the easiest person to conduct a formal trade with... wait, scratch that... he is undoubtedly the easiest person to formally trade with across the entirety of the internet. And that's a hill that I'm willing to die on! I'd say "prove me wrong", but you can't, so I won't.

And you may've noticed that Willie's got a few condition issues, which, had this been his regular old '72 Topps card, might've prevented me from trying to trade for it, but it ain't his regular old '72 Topps card...

As I was telling one of Mike's fellow Canadians just recently, I have had very little luck acquiring vintage OPC over the years. I've only ever come upon it at a show once, and am ALWAYS in the wrong place at the wrong time for desired cards online. So, given all that, and of course who's featured on the card, I didn't mind a few condition issues. Besides, he still presents really well, as there's no creases going through his face, and no paper loss on the stats, so all in all, I'm pretty happy with this card. I'm pretty happy with the trade too, as I was able to find someone who, not only wanted one of my abandoned set builds, but who will now be trying to finish what I started -- and I think that that's really neat.

It's worth mentioning too that as well as this trade turned out, the card itself almost didn't even make it to me.

That's how it arrived, minus the digital blackout, that was me. Look at that big ol' tear on the right side! It's a minor miracle that the toploader didn't fall out, or that it wasn't plucked out by some sticky-fingered postal worker. Needless to say, the USPS did good here, and deserves credit for having done so.

Thanks again for the trade, Mike! Now that we're out of the formal stage, hopefully all future exchanges can just be of the blind variety.


On an unrelated note: I noticed this morning that there's a new blog on the block, Uncle Charlie's Shoebox. So, if anyone has a spare minute or two, and is so inclined to want to do so, it might be nice to pop over and say hi.

14 comments:

  1. Nice card! Fortunately, I've never had anything like that happen to me but I have heard some horror stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time that I've gotten the plastic baggie treatment. Hopefully it'll be the last!

      Delete
  2. I've had issues with the mail too, fortunately the sellers have been really accommodating. Also, being from MN you'd think I would come across more vintage OPC, but like you, I find those tough to find in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would think that you'd be able to find more, a lot more in fact.

      Delete
  3. I hear ya on the formal online trading. I've been part of the casual card blog scene for so long that conducting a "you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours" trade makes me squeamish. I'm probably making a bit too much about it, but given the pleasantness of the past decade and a half, people should understand.

    I've received card packages with HOLES punched in them in the past. In fact, your post is quite timely, today I received a card mailer with both a hole and a tear. Cards survived though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's my problem, I'm just too used to the way we do things on the blogs.

      This was the first envelope like this that I've ever gotten. Some years ago I got a boxed action figure that arrived with what looked like a stab from an ice pick that had gone though the shipping box, packing material, and into the action figure box. Since it was kind of expensive, I ended up getting refunded by the USPS.

      Delete
  4. When I returned to the hobby (a few years before I started blogging), I was really into trading on the card forums. Eventually... that transitioned into trading among bloggers. But eventually, I couldn't keep up with updating trade bait and wasn't a fan of the extra stuff (shipping on time, making sure the card was exactly as described, etc.) on my already full hobby plate. I eventually made the decision to stop trading specific cards for specific cards. These days... I'm 100% content with blind trades.

    P.S. Thanks for suggesting a new blog. Looking forward to checking out his/her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Formal trading is very time consuming for me, and honestly, it's rarely worth the amount of effort that was put in.

      Delete
  5. Having a hook up for vintage OPC, SWEET! As for formal trading too difficult for me. I love the blind trading that way I can dump cards (lol) and every now and then send some specific needs. In the end it's really fun for me especially if you stumble into someone real needs. Once I get organized again (no telling how long that is going to take after today) it will be easier to find those needed cards, but for now I have to wing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by peoples reactions, you seem to do just fine winging it.

      Delete
  6. I don't mind formal trading as much as some others, I guess. Blind trading is always easier, but especially as our ranks aren't growing, there's nobody to take all the dupes that have accumulated that don't fit our current group's collection.

    A little back-and-forth on TCDB I find is usually not bad - if I'm making an offer I will try to make it look as attractive as possible, and if I get an offer I accept it if it's at all reasonable. I get the sense that most people on there are pretty similar. I do tend to avoid the ones that are very condition-conscious in their profiles, maybe that weeds out some of the worst.

    I did decline one offer after the guy was haggling every bit of the trade (that he proposed). A little haggling is fine at the flea market or thrift store, but I don't want to do to much with a fellow trader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably because you seem to have endless amounts of energy when it comes to card related things. Unfortunately, I don't.

      Sounds like you should've joined years ago.

      I got an offer from a guy recently, and I couldn't find one of the cards that he wanted so I switched it out for a more valuable card, only to have him reject it because he didn't think he was getting enough in return -- even though he's the one who initially chose how much he wanted in return. It was strange.

      Delete