Friday, December 23, 2022

Sometimes they do come back

One of the things that I noticed back when I was first started reading the card blogs was how often former bloggers/blogs were mentioned in passing. I guess it would be around 8 or so years ago now that I first stumbled upon (one of Fuji's posts came up in a Google search) the previously unknown to me world of card blogs, and at the time it seemed like there were hundreds of them, probably because there were. But even so, with names of fallen comrades being bandied about so frequently, it felt like I had just missed a time when there had been thousands (a slight exaggeration, but you get the point) of people writing public love letters to cards on a near daily basis.

I was amazed that so many former bloggers, many whom seemingly dropped off the face of the earth without nary a word, were still remembered so fondly by so many of those that were still around. Eight years later though, I get it, for I too now have quite the mental rolodex filled with defunct blogs, and their wayward operators. Without making a list (which I'm not gonna do), I have no idea off the top of my head how many people have stepped away from their blogs since I started this one, but it's definitely been more than a few. And yet, I'm pretty sure that I remember them all, or at least I could with a little bit of time to think. 

It's always a bit sad when somebody closes up shop, but there's always the hope that they'll come back at some point, like Tom, from The Angels, In Order, did earlier this year. People that leave don't always write a goodbye post, but Tom did, and after reading that post, if I would've been betting on whether or not he would've ever been coming back, I would've bet on no. Thankfully, I'm often wrong, and after about a year away, Tom came back! 

Since returning, Tom has done a couple of trade bait posts that seem to have generated a lot of interest, two of which I've even participated in; though not to the extent that some others have. But even so, I've netted a couple of neat things thanks to his posts.

I know at some point not too long ago that I mentioned having an ever increasing urge to collect Dave Winfield, but I've been fighting it, if only because I didn't want to take on anymore player collections. Yeah, about that, I think I might be fighting a losing battle.

This and the next card weren't part of the trade bait posts, but were instead cards that Tom saw on my cheap wants list, and offered to send them. This is the first card that I remember being desired by collectors, and even though I had quite a few copies at one time, those were all given away many years ago. It's nice to have one again.

Carney is another guy that I've been very tempted to collect. I haven't looked, but I can't imagine that he has too many cards out there, and wouldn't think that too many of those that are have been pushed into the stratosphere by the boom crowd price-wise. I only saw this particular card for the first time earlier this year in one of Night Owl's posts. I never collected this set, or even owned very many cards from it, so there's probably quite a few of them that I still haven't seen. And speaking of seeing things, you'll be seeing another copy of this card in the next post, as two showed up on the exact same day; and that wasn't a bad thing!

I had no idea there was 2016 Topps MLB Wacky Packages set, and from what I can gather, this particular card is from a minor league subset(?). Not that I care about any of that mind you, no, I just wanted it because the parody features one of the traditional monsters (vampire, Frankenstein's monster, mummy, etc.); which I've started seeking out in WP form.

I think I stopped collecting baseball cards in 1992, and stopped collecting Panini's baseball stickers after the 1993 set. And because this was the last baseball set that I worked on (never finished it), I have some strong nostalgia for it. I don't have any interest in going back and working on the set again, but if the opportunity arises, as it did here, I won't mind picking up a few choice singles. The foily sticker sure scanned weird though, I wonder if it was because of the black construction paper that I've been using behind the cards? 

Thanks again for the cards (and stickers), Tom. Hopefully you're back for good this time, as the blogs are a much better place with you around 😊.


On an unrelated note: Jeremy, from Topps Cards that Never Were, mentioned the other day that he's thinking about going all in on the TCDB, but has some questions before doing so. It doesn't appear that anyone has answered them as of this writing, so if anyone has a few minutes, maybe you could pop over and help him out. Despite having been a member of the site for a few years now, I still don't have a firm grasp on all of the the ins and outs (Dennis is my go to for TCDB questions), so I'm hardly the one to answer such questions -- but I know that there's a lot of folks who could, which is why I'm mentioning it here.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words Jon. I'm hoping too that I'll stick around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going through some of my older posts makes me realize how many bloggers I used to read/trade with aren't around anymore. As much as I've been enjoying TCDB, I really hope there isn't a mass exodus.

    I own a fair amount of Panini Stickers but very few from the '93 set. Not sure how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the four years of blogging that you have on me, I can only imagine how many more wayward bloggers you've had contact with than I. Twitter seems to have been the party most responsible for the exodus over the years, but I'm sure that the TCDB had claimed it's fair share as well.

      Delete
  3. That Lansford looks familiar...and I had that feeling before I packed it. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, it wasn't a bad thing. I have further reiterated that in today's post :)

      Delete
  4. I missed his post (have not been with it mentally) but hopefully I helped him. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd definitely be the one to help with anybody's TCDB questions, so thanks for taking the time to do so :)

      Delete
  5. Sadly... my memory isn't what it used to be... so unless a specific memory triggers something, or I see it pop up on another blogger, or the blogger and I became "email" buddies... former blogs tend to fade away for me. That being said... I usually give a blogger years (at least 5) before I remove them from my reading list... in hopes that they'll one day return. The only reason I end up removing them is because Blogger will only allow me to have 300 blogs saved on my reading list (they really need to fix this).

    Anyways... I'm glad Tom is back behind the keyboard. As for Carney, I've thought about PC'ing him too. He was a fan favorite among A's fans. Plus he's one of the biggest names in baseball to come out of San Jose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory is poo, but for some reason I'm able to remember a lot of blog related things -- maybe because they're such a huge part of my life? I'm not able to remove blogs from my list anymore, so unless the owner deletes them out of existence, they'll apparently be there until the end of time.

      Given how popular he was with A's fans, and you being an A's fan, I'm kind of surprised that you don't already collect him.

      Delete
  6. i was a bit of a carney lansford fan in his anaheim days. i've been entering my collection (very slowly) on tcdb but don't have enough knowledge of the site to assist jeremy. i will keep an eye on the comments over there as they will be of help to me if i choose to use the site in a broader way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get back to entering my player collections, but I just haven't been able to find the time to do so. Some days I feel like I'd need a 48-hour day just to do everything that I would like to.

      Delete
  7. Get Smart is my all-time favorite TV show.

    That foil Sanders sticker looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning that not too long ago. It's been decades since I've seen an episode; it might be time for me to try and watch a few again.

      Delete
  8. I seem to remember reading that many an old time blogger moved onto Twitter to continue their commentary. I don't have Twitter and don't plan on having it so I'll just miss out.

    And Get Smart is awesome!

    ReplyDelete