Sunday, January 1, 2023

Christmas catch-up: Part 1

Since no one seemed to know exactly what last week's winter storm was gonna entail, I did the grocery shopping, and checked the PO Box on Thursday morning ahead of it's impending arrival. This was two days earlier than I had planned on doing them, but after seeing what it was like outside Friday morning, I'm glad that I went when I did. 

The only drawback from getting the mail on Thursday was that I would potentially be missing anything else that might've been arriving before Christmas, and as I found out this past Wednesday when I went to check the box again, I probably did, for there were three Christmas related envelopes, all from fellow bloggers, there waiting for me. Curse you storm... and the horse that you rode in on!

As for the contents of the three envelopes, well, they couldn't have been more different from each other. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that these three guys got together and planned it that way. But I do know better, and it was just happenstance that such a unique trio should arrive at the same time.

And I know that it's an acceptable blog practice to cover multiple received mailings in one post, but I like giving people that took the time to send me something their own post, so that's what I'm gonna do. I thought about trying to do them over three consecutive days, but that's a bit ambitious for me. Maybe three in four days, or five, that sounds a little more doable.

It was just last weekend that was I saying that I only got one Christmas card this year. Obviously that statement was a tad premature, as there was a second one waiting for me in the PO Box, and what a second one it was!

I saw a few of these Peanuts cards being shown on the blogs before (and on) Christmas, and if I'm being quite honest, secretly envied those who got one. And speaking of envy, it's funny how my mind works when it comes to that sort of thing -- You live in a ginormous house? "Neat". You got a new sports car? "I bet that'd be fun to drive". You just bought a graded '52 Topps Mickey Mantle? "Huh, that's something". You got sent a Peanuts themed Christmas card? "ARRRRRRGH! WHY DO YOU GET ONE OF THOSE, AND I DON'T? WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT YOU????????? LIFE IS SO UNFAIR!!!!!!!! [That may be a slight exaggeration, but not by much 😂.]

Turns out that there was no reason to fret though, because, Angus, he, not only of the great taste in greeting cards, but also the owner and operator of Dawg Day Cards, sent me one as well. It really is a wonderful card too, much nicer than it comes across in my scan (the cheery red foil was turned to a very unseasonable shade). 

Usually, Christmas cards would be taken down within the next few days, but since this was arrived so late, I think I'll give it a few more weeks, maybe leave it up until Valentine's Day.

I would've been content with just the greeting card, but as is often the case with bloggers, there were a few trading cards tucked inside as well...

If I'm not mistaken, these two cards just appeared in Angus' recap post from the show that he and Night Owl went to together. The Rocketeer was such a fun movie, and not surprising given when it was made, still holds up really well. The sticker on the left was new to me, and I now have two or three of the one on the right -- not that that's a problem though, one can never too many cards of Jennifer Connelly 😍. [Has any guy over 35 ever not had a crush on her at some point in their life -- I highly doubt it]

One of these acts isn't like the others
To some, this may just look like a random trio of MusiCards, and I guess you'd be correct to some degree if you though that, but to me, it represents someone taking note of something that I've said on the blog; which I've seen evidence of a couple of time lately, but is never less amazing than it was the time before. This instance might be a little more impressive than the others though if only because I didn't mention wanting these particular cards in an actual post, so much as I did down in the comments section of a post. And what's more, the comment wasn't even directed towards Angus, and yet, he saw it, and took it upon himself to send three out of the four cards that I mentioned. Pretty good of him, huh?

I'd like to start doing some posts that revolve around specific binder pages, and since all three of these cards are destined for specific pages, I think I'll wait until I get around to doing those posts to talk about why I wanted these. Nobody's gonna want to read the same stuff twice in possibly as many months. In the meantime though, it's always nice to be able to remove some cards from a want list.

Many thanks to Angus for sending one of his much coveted (by me) Christmas cards; now I can stop hating on everyone else that got one 😈. Thanks for the trading cards that were tucked inside as well. To me those were just a bonus, albeit a really nice bonus.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And may it be a happy one for you as well, John!

      Delete
  2. Happy new year! My kids got some presents wrapped in Peanuts wrapper this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Very cool of Angus. I still enjoy watching the Rocketeer every now and then, fun movie. The music cards are great too. I'm curious to see what else you got, and I also generally try to do one post per trade package for the same reasons you do.

    Oh, and I hope I'll get to send you your Christmas cards from me before the end of January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Dennis! I know that it's not always possible, but I just feel like if someone took the time, and spent the money, to send me something; than the least I can do is give them their own post.

      Delete
  4. So, would it enrage you even more if I told you that Angus actually delivered me my Peanuts Christmas card in person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. I can't fault someone for wanting to save on shipping. Besides, it'd be quite the drive for him to have done the same for me :)

      Delete
  5. Don't think I've ever seen The Rocketeer. I remember hearing about it though, so either I saw it and completely forgot or at least one of my friends did.

    Very nice of Angus to send you these cards - greeting and otherwise. I can't wait to see how the two remaining gifts compare and contrast with these cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've mentioned not being too into superhero movies, and while it's not a traditional superhero movie, it might be just close enough that you wouldn't like it. But on the other hand, it does have Jennifer Connelly in it, so...

      Part 2 will be up today.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Christmas card so much. I thought they were pretty nice when I bought them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it probably more than I should've. Thanks again for sending one!

      Delete
  7. My crush on Connelly started in the early 90's when me and my friends watched Career Opportunities. I can still picture her roller skating. But technically... Jane Wiedlin and Belinda Carlisle have her beat by almost a decade. I saw Jane in a video a while back... and I still thought she looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first film I saw of hers as well :)

      Delete