Saturday, November 4, 2017

Another rare pack?

I took a trip to my favorite antique mall yesterday. I haven't really been going anywhere as of late, so it was kind of nice to get out and go somewhere fun.

As per usual, there was a lot of cheap and interesting stuff to be had, some (or much) of which came home with me. I have like the last five trips worth of purchases currently sitting in scan folders just waiting patiently to get their own series (soon!), so I will eventually get to most of the stuff I got on this visit as well, but for now I just wanted to focus on one particular item.

I don't know if anyone remembers the post I did a while back in which I wondered whether or not I should open a strange repack-esque pack that I found in a booth during my last visit. Well, apparently the owners of that booth decided to try and stump me again with yet another pack that, according to the internet, doesn't exist:

There were a few different packs that been added to the booth since the last time I was there, but this 1994-95 Upper Deck Collector's Choice Preview Pack was the only one that was of interest to me.

I knew right away that this was something different, and when a quick on the spot search via my phone yielded no results, I really knew this might be a bit of a rarity. There is absolutely nothing on the internet about preview packs from this years Collector's Choice, and I know that I had never heard of them either, which is strange, because I opened up a lot of this product way back when.

It's really interesting too that, as mentioned on the front of the pack, there are four Collector's Choice series 2, and two cards from the Upper Deck flagship series 2. Also the pack graphics are horizontal, as opposed to the normal vertical graphics as seen by this image I took from one of Kerry's APTBNL posts:


Even though there isn't much too that can be gleamed from it, here's the back of the preview pack:

This "mystery" pack set me back a whole 50 cents, and until I find out whether or not there are anymore of these floating around, I will not be opening it.

I have never had any intentions of being an unopened pack collector, but thanks to the owners of this booth and all their damn packs that aren't supposed to exist, I now have two in what seems to be a slowly growing unofficial collection


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. Unique find! That's surprising there isn't any info out there on these packs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, especially because it's not like Upper Deck is some small company that no one's ever heard of before.

      Delete
  2. Cool pack. I remember seeing these back in the day. Pretty sure you can pull Jason Kidd and Grant Hill rookies from both UD and Collector's Choice out of these packs. But if it were me, I'd just keep it sealed and add it to the pack collection, since Kidd and Hill rookies sell for less than 50¢ on COMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remember the preview packs?

      Delete
    2. Yeah. My LCS had these. I can't remember how we acquired them. Maybe they were pack war prizes? Promotional packs? They might have even been used for Halloween to pass out to trick-or-treaters.

      Delete
    3. Well then, according to the interwebs, you are the only person that actually remembers them.

      Delete
    4. Lol. Then I guess you really need to keep this pack sealed. Maybe they were like the 1975 Topps Minis and distributed in certain regions of the country. If that's the case, it could be a rare pack.

      Delete
    5. That was the whole point of the post :) And I never knew that was how the '75 mini's were distributed!

      Delete
  3. These are totally new to me Jon. Good find! I wouldn't open it either- I've already completed 1994-95 Collector's Choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be new to everyone but Fuji. Congrats on getting the set completed! I'm only sort of working on the silver and gold signatures.

      Delete