Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Face painting

It feels like it's been awhile since I did an all baseball post, so in an effort to rectify that, I've got a sextet of '53 Topps for you today.


A couple of minor injuries, and Casey Stengel being hired to manage the Yankees would, despite his solid play, result in Gus losing his starting position at catcher to Yogi Berra in 1949.


Going into the '53 campaign, Hank was coming off his best season to date, a season in which he had been named the N.L. MVP after having led the league in home runs and runs batted in (37 & 121 respectively).


Gus Bell would have arguably his best season in '53, when he hit .300 with 30 HR's and 105 RBI's, and also making his first all-star appearance.


Awarded a Purple Heart after being wounded by shrapnel in the Battle of the Bulge.


 Best dugout quiz of the bunch?


Jim is the first athlete that I can recall reading about who worked for the FBI prior to playing professional sports.

At some point I would like to focus on this set a little more, but for now I will just stick to what I've been doing, which is to try and pick up singles that are in decent shape, and more importantly... low in price. As usual, all these were gotten with earned credit on COMC, and I believe all but one, were under $1.50 each.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. Fine selection of cards. The 53 set is a beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hank Sauer and Turk Lown never looked better - these 53's are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get no argument from me on that one.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cards... with great trivia on the backs. Never knew third base coaches were nicknamed traffic cops.

    ReplyDelete