Monday, November 20, 2017

Do you believe in Magic?

Part of my ill advised 1989-90 Hoops autograph project consists of checking eBay on fairly regular basis for new listings featuring players from the set who have either passed away, or those who are still living but who's autograph can't be obtained through the mail.

Other than a bunch of what I feel are overpriced cards, these searches don't usually yield too much. However, sometimes that old saying about persistence paying off, does seem to hold water -- as was the case earlier this year, when I came across these:

This pair of Magic Johnson autos came from a dealer who had attended a well documented private signing with Magic in early 2016. Just in case I ever had to sell them, it was really nice to be able to buy something like this/these, and have so much documentation come with it/them.

The seller had these listed separately (along with a bunch of other signed 80's/90's base cards) for I don't remember how much apiece, but after making an offer on both of them, and using the eBay bucks I had -- the final out of pocket cost ended up being $15 for each, which I thought was pretty reasonable considering Magic has never been one to sign TTM, and I can't imagine a scenario where I would have some of encounter with him in which I would be able to try and get both of these cards signed.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. Sweet pair of Magics. The Showtime Lakers were the high point of my basketball fandom. Magic was a big part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up a Blazers fan, I wasn't overly fond of him when I was young, especially since he had so many good games against them. Now that so much time has passed, I'm able to look back and acknowledge just how talented he was a little easier.

      Delete
  2. I have never been much of an NBA card guy, but I did dabble a bit in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Love looking at the cards! Congrats on the Magic signature too, great player!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Even though that was the junk wax era for basketball cards too, there's no denying that some really good looking sets were produced during that time.

      Delete