Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Black Friday boxes

I told myself that I wasn't going to do it again this year, but once Black Friday rolled around and I saw this year's sale prices were lower than last year's...

... I wasn't able to resist buying some more boxes of Golden Age from Steel City Collectibles. With this being the third year in a row that I have done so, it's starting to feel like a yearly tradition.

This year the prices on the 2012 and 2014 edition was $22.95 each, and the 2013 was $24.95. In retrospect, I probably should have just gotten one of each, as I don't need a ton from the 2012 edition, but with the draw of finding one of the case hit original Goudey's, I ended up getting two of the 2012's. And besides, this is the only time of the year I ever open boxes of anything, so why not splurge on some cheap fun?

I told myself I was only going to open one box a week over the next four weeks, apparently I'm a self liar, as I already opened two last night, and I suspect the other two won't remain sealed much past the day (Tuesday) of this writing.

I will start posting the box results sometime soon, but in the meantime, Steel City advertises that every purchase during their sale comes with a free gift:

I got a pack of 2016 Leaf Draft football, and a pack 2017 Panini player of the Day, plus the usual scratch-off. Neither of these packs excited me all that much, but their free, so I really can't complain.

Before getting to the contents of the packs, the scratch-off, just like last year, yielded a $5 gift card. It expires in June of next year, and since I don't plan on ordering anything before then, if somebody thinks they might be buying something from SCC before then (their sale runs all this week), just let me know in the comments that you're interested and I will email you the code.

On to the packs, starting first with the Player of the Day:

The good news is that I actually know who both of these guy's are, the bad news though, is that neither card does anything for me. So if either of them floats your boat, just let me know, and their yours.

And finally, the Leaf Draft:

I wasn't expecting much out of this pack, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with the uninteresting contents. After seeing these, I can't imagine anyone that would intentionally buy this product, it's just so blah! I nave no idea who any of these kids are, so again, if anyone is interested in any of them, just let me know.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

10 comments:

  1. I dont think I've ever bought from Steel City but I should try them sometime. Hope you pull(ed) some great hist on those boxes - and I wouldnt blame you one bit for opening them all in less than one week.

    If you want to set aside the Rodgers for me I'd be happy to work out a trade in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider it set aside, but there won't be any need to work out a trade, I'll just wait until I have a couple more cards for you and then send it/them.

      Delete
  2. I have ordered from them and have always been satisfied

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the only online card related retailer that I have ever ordered from, and I have yet to have a problem with their service.

      Delete
  3. MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Golden Age. I just ripped my box of 2014 from D&A. Golden Age is so hard to resist at under $30 a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resistance is futile! At least that's the way seems to be for me when they're on sale like this. Part of me really wants all these online shops to run out of boxes, just so I don't have to be tempted anymore.

      If you post about it, I will be very interested to see how your box turned out.

      Delete
  4. Steel City is great. I live so close to Pittsburgh that if I order early enough in the business day, I'll receive the following day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One certainly couldn't complain about that shipping time!

      Delete
  5. I love golden age. Did u post results?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. I've kind of been getting a little behind lately. I will probably post the results sometime between Christmas and New year's.

      Delete