Sunday, December 9, 2018

Forgotten football cards from Fuji

                    
I know that it happens to my fellow bloggers all the time, but still, I didn't think that it would ever happen to me. I guess it was inevitable though, that at some point I'd go ahead and forgot all about some cards that somebody sent me!

Just forgetting about something that someone sent me is bad enough, but it's even worse when that someone is, Fuji, aka the person who is responsible for this blog's very existence, my blogfather if you will :)

I know that I started a post for the cards almost right after I received them back in October? Geez, I really hope it wasn't in September. Anyway, I started the post, got stymied pretty quickly, then decided to come back to it in a day or two... and apparently never did :(

This really was a most unfortunate occurrence, especially since this was the first time that Fuji had ever sent me anything before, hopefully after this bout of forgetfulness becomes publicly known, it won't end up being the last time that a package from San Jose shows up in my mailbox.

Not only was this the first time that Fuji had sent anything my way, but it was also the first time that anyone had sent me vintage football cards.

At the time that these were sent, I still had a football want list at the top of the blog, set needs for both 1967 and 1969 Topps were on that list, which I'm assuming is why I ended up with this smattering of '67 and '69 Topps. I have since removed that football tab, but...

... that doesn't mean that I still wouldn't have wanted these, no, it just means that I'm not working on the sets anymore. My interest in set collecting has diminished considerably in the last couple of months, and continues to do so on an almost daily basis, I have instead started organizing my cards from the three major sports by team, and have begun to put them into binders. This style of collecting has already proven to be most fun, and has sort of reenergized my interest in card collecting as a whole. This will all be discussed further in an upcoming post, so like I said, I may not be working on the sets anymore, but I'm still very much interested in cards from both of these sets, especially the 67's (the first two cards in this post), because I only come across those in person maybe once or twice a year.

And now here I am at the end and I haven't even really talked about the cards themselves, oh well, they're all really great, and very much appreciated! Two things that I thought were a bit curious though -- Two of the above '69 Al Denson were included, is it because of the different skin tones? I don't really know, but that's okay, because since these were sent, I've also really gotten into collecting duplicates of cards that I like, and I like this card, so...

The other thing that caught my eye, and I don't know if anybody else noticed it or not, but all of these cards are Broncos! Is that just a coincidence? I don't really don't know, if it isn't, Fuji didn't say anything to the contrary in the note that was included. Again, not a big deal, if I came across all of these at a show, and they were the right price, I would've bought 'em all no matter what team was being represented.

Fuji, my sincerest apologies for this mental gaffe of mine, I don't really know what to say, other than it was just one those things that happens. It may have taken me a couple of months to get to them, but I'm still most grateful for your choice of cards sent.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

8 comments:

  1. Wait. You're not a Bronco fan? Lol. I honestly have no idea why I sent you a bunch of vintage Broncos. Ugh. Getting old sucks. Maybe you can find a Broncos fan out there to trade with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trade them? No way! Like I said, they are very much appreciated, and they look really great in the couple of Broncos pages that I've put together so far.

      Delete
  2. Love those '69 Topps football cards with their vintage team logos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the old logos are one of my favorite things about vintage football cards.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't noticed they were all Broncos until you pointed that out.

    Do you have a favorite team, in any sport?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Portland Trailblazers, but I haven't been following the team too closely since I moved away, it also doesn't help that they've made some roster changes over the last couple of years that I haven't been too keen on.

      And growing up I was a Mariners fan as well, but that fandom is almost non-existent at this point, the passing of Dave Niehaus, and the trading of Ichiro, pretty much ended my interest in the team.

      For college football, I've been a Ducks and Beavers fan since I can remember... unfortunately!

      I never went out my way to collect cards from any of these teams though, even with my recent change in interests, I don't think I could ever be a team collector.

      Delete
  4. Look at the Broncos logo! Old school... great package from Fuji!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one, but you'd be hard pressed to find a logo from that era that isn't!

      Delete