Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Nerd heaven

As mentioned in the last post, I went to Knoxville last week, the main purpose of this trip was to try and find something at Target that my mom had been looking for, but couldn't find on their website and wasn't up for going herself.

I hit the two Target's that are relatively close together, no luck on finding said item, which was sort of expected, so it's not the end of the world or anything, but t wasn't a total waste of time though, as I did have a bit of an ulterior motive in mind when I volunteered to go.

You see, one of those Target's is a mere 2.2 miles (according to the GPS) from McKay's, and even though I really didn't have any extra money to spend that day, I have however accrued quite a bit of store credit there, plus it's been about two months since my last visit... and in my mind that's about two months too long!

For anyone who doesn't live in the area, and hasn't seen any of my previous posts, McKay's is a like mecca for all things entertainment: action figures/toys, books, CD's, comics, DVD's, vinyl, video games, etc., if you can think of it, they probably have it (or have had it at one time).

Normally I'm a save the best for last sort of guy, but in this instance I couldn't resist showing my favorite find, which was also my last find, of the day, first.

I always save looking around upstairs for last, that's where all the comics and music are. Usually there isn't a lot of people up there by the time I make my way up the stairs, but not this time, no, between the employees putting out a s*** ton of new/old records, and the group of twenty something's that were confusing the store for a library by sitting around reading graphic novels, it was quite crowded up there... which is not good for my social anxiety.

Anyway, I always go to the couple of magazine boxes first, they've had a handful of issues of things like Fangoria and Rue Morgue the last couple of times that I've been there, but this time they actually had a divider sticking up that said "horror magazines". Oh the excitement!

This new section had about a dozen issues each of Creepy and Eerie, nothing too terribly old, but still, this felt like the first time in forever that I had come across any Warren publication in the wild. All were priced at $5, and most were a little rough conditionwise, so that price was a little prohibitive, otherwise I might've got them all. Instead I just went with this Eerie #78 (Oct '76), because it looked like it was going to make for the best read (I wasn't wrong), and plus I knew that didn't already have it, which is not something that I could definitively say about some of the other issues. [note to self: It's time to make a list already]

I kind of wanted to do a whole post just on that magazine alone, but knowing that it would probably draw less attention than this post, I will refrain from doing so. The rest of my purchases were of the DVD variety, all from the $1.95 or less section, which seemed to be especially well stocked this time -- heck, there were even entire television seasons (most were still sealed) among the offerings, unfortunately they were all sitcom's, so I wasn't able to take advantage of those great deals (I'm not a sitcom person). But, I still found a few things of interest, and if you happen to be so inclined:


I have a strong affinity for television movies from the 70's and 80's, well, at least the one's that aren't of overly dramatic/sappy variety. This version of The Murders in the Rue Morgue from '86 fits the bill nicely, even if Val Kilmer was a tad miscast (I'm being generous when I use the word "tad").


I've owned a couple of copies of Die Hard on video over the years, and had no plans to get it on DVD, but it's kind of hard to resist when you find a 2-disc special edition that sold for $20 when new (SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO!), for just 95 cents. I'm assuming that everyone knows what this movie is about, so I'm just showing all of the special features instead.


I am such a sucker for these discs, although the one's I usually get aren't of the TV Guide variety. I've never been a Red Skelton fan, so I will be skipping that episode, but the other five shows will provide almost two hours worth of entertainment, all for just a quarter!


Here's another 25 cent DVD. I've probably seen this special before, but for a quarter I'll watch it again.


They had a whole mess of these TV Guide discs this time, I watched two different people pick this up, look at it, and then put it back before I could get to it -- when I did finally get to it, I picked up, looked at it, and then put it in my basket! I already have the entire Sherlock Holmes series, but the rest of these particular episodes will be new to me.


I'm always a sucker for these multi-movie packs too, it's really hard to pass up the opportunity to get eight films for just 95 cents. I would've bought Prom Night or Below for that price alone (probably not Demonic Toys though), so the other five movies that I haven't seen just end up being a bonus -- although I don't know if I'll ever be able to bring myself to watch a movie called Evil Bong.


With this, I now have the complete Dracula 2000 trilogy on DVD. These are not good movies by any stretch of the imagination, and I would never recommend them to anyone, with that being said... I enjoy the heck out of this series!


This was one of those, it's probably not going to be very good (at least I didn't think it would be when I watched the trailer a couple of years ago), but it's too cheap not to try, kind of movies. Plus, it's got Famke Jannsen in it, so...


There is absolutely nothing original about The Arrival, but I used to watch it almost every time it was on television, so for less than a buck I thought it might be time to finally get a copy of it. Never seen the sequel, and don't know what to expect. 


I don't recall why exactly, but it seems like there was a renewed interest in all things Bermuda triangle back in the early 2000's, which spawned multiple films, as well as a television mini-series. I saw most of them at the time, but somehow The Lost Voyage managed to fly under my radar, so me coming across this DVD was the first I was hearing about it. It's got a good cast, so fingers crossed that it doesn't disappoint.

As per usual, McKay's did not let me down, I was able to walk away with ten DVD's (15 movies & 16 television episodes), as well as a really bitchin magazine, all for less than $16 in credit -- I don't know how anybody else feels about it, but I would call that a solid outing, and one that I wouldn't mind duplicating on all of my future trips to the store.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. I Am Omega sounds like a bad ripoff of the Richard Matheson story I Am Legend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it clearly is, but it's hardly the first knockoff of Matheson's story.

      Delete
  2. Solid indeed. Had to read "Murder In The Rue Morgue" in high school for an English class. Die Hard you picked up just in time for Christmas. Best Christmas movie ever. The TV Guide (is that still a thing?) dvds have a decent smattering of different shows. They sure don't make shows like that anymore. Prom Night and seven other movies for less than a buck? That's fantastic! Prom Night was great. Who knows? "Evil Bong" could be the "hit" of the entire dvd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good story to "have to read", all I remember from that time is "To Kill a Mockingbird" and a bunch of Shakespeare.

      I'll have to politely disagree with your statement about Die Hard being the best Christmas movie.

      It's funny, while typing this I too wondered if TV Guide was still around, I didn't look, but it's hard to imagine that they could still be relevant at this point and time.

      And I see what you did there with the "hit"... I'll never get tired of your puns :)

      Delete
    2. If not Die Hard then which movie is the Best Christmas movie?

      Delete
    3. I don't know if it would be considered the best, especially not by today's standards (or lack thereof), but my personal favorite is "It Happened on Fifth Avenue".

      Delete
    4. How did I know when I asked what the best Christmas movie would be, that your response would send me off to google land?

      Delete
    5. (insert shrugging emoji here)

      Delete
  3. Great stuff as usual. I wish there was something remotely like McKay's in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were places like this in everyone's neck of the woods :)

      Delete
  4. Like you and Arrival, I watch Die Hard every time it's on TV. Wouldn't really need the DVD, but I always like the extras like on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had cable/satellite in a couple of years now, but there used to be a bunch movies that I would always watch whenever they were on, now I just buy physical copies and watch them a whole lot less.

      Delete
  5. Die Hard! One of the best Christmas movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I know which side of the debate you fall on :)

      Delete
  6. Evil Bong? Looks like a corny good set of movies. Seems like I wet to a McKays on a NC vacation a few years ago. Good of you to make the trip for your Mom. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vacation to North Carolina sounds exciting, maybe I'll be able to get you to share some of details, especially those of the sordid variety, one of these days :)

      Delete