Thursday, November 26, 2020

Hopping on the Thanks train

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but a lot of folks, especially those of the blogging variety, have been giving thanks over the last week or so. And I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I like it... a lot!

Some of these thanks probably would've occurred on their own, what with the year that's been and all, but I believe that most of the credit for them should be given to, Trevor (Bump and Run Football Card Blog), and his Give Thanks Challenge, that was proposed last week.

Had this challenge been about anything else, I likely wouldn't have participated, but seeing as how I have much to be thankful for, even if I usually choose not to acknowledge it, I figured I should go ahead and throw a few of them out there.

First and foremost, I'm thankful for my mom. Post teenage years, she has been a very steadying influence on my life, and I'm grateful to her for always being there. Thanks to my prickish ways early in life, we haven't always been as close as we are now, and I regret that, but try not to reflect on it too often, choosing instead to just appreciate where things are now. For all intensive purposes too, she's really the only family I have anymore. I do have two half brothers, but haven't seen, or spoken to, either of them in over 15 years, and honestly can't imagine a scenario where'd I'd do so ever again. And I do have quite a large extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) as well, but haven't seen, or spoken to, any of them in over 20 years, and again, can't imagine ever doing so again. I've talked about why that is a few times in the past, so I won't go into it again, but will say that these aren't warm-hearted loving people that I've chosen to stay away from, they're toxic, nothing good ever came from associating with most of them, and I've been much better off by not doing so for the last couple of decades. So, as odd as it may sound to some of you (especially those who come from caring families), I'm thankful that I don't have to associate with the majority of my family. I'm also thankful that I got to spend at least a little bit of time with the couple of good people in the family before their passing (all much too young), it's nice to be able to remember that not all of us were terrible people.

I have had a couple of health issues over the years, and still do have a few, but overall things could be much worse, so I'm very thankful for that. I tend to forget to be thankful about this one on a fairly regular basis, but one only has to go as far as a grocery store to be reminded that there are folks out there dealing with far worse things than I, folks too that are still more positive in their outlook than I as well. I admire them for that, but find it very difficult to emulate. I'm just not wired for sunny disposition, and don't believe in the whole "fake it, 'til you make it" thing. Although it probably wouldn't hurt me to try and be a little more positive in my daily life.

I've mentioned many, many, times here on the blog, that I don't have much of a social life, actually I have no social life. I work alone, and don't have any flesh and blood friends, so blogging is really my only social outlet. My blogging friends are my only friends, and as I always say, are the only reason that I'm still blogging. Despite wanting to be one at an earlier stage in my life, I am not a writer, nor do I enjoy trying to come up with words to fill up a screen. I hate scanning, and I don't like taking pictures. I've even started to grow tired of collecting (again). I know that I should stop blogging, but can't seem to do it, mostly because I love the people that are associated with the blogs too much to do so. I don't think it would be hyperbole if I said that blog people are just better in general than most of society, and I'm very grateful to have been able to interact with so many of them over the last couple of years. And as far as this blog goes, it's far from the best, but it's all I've got, so I'm thankful to those of you who do choose to come around here, you're making me a better person by doing so.

I know that there are many other things to be thankful for, food, shelter... microwaves; but writing this before bed on Wednesday night isn't conducive to me being able to think of all of those things, so I'll just call it a post, I did get the biggies out of the way.

Thanksgiving will be just another day for me, I'm not opposed to the holiday mind you, it's just that since it's only my mom and I, and neither of us wants to go through the effort of cooking an elaborate meal, we just don't do anything, and haven't for quite a number of years. But, and it's a big BUT, I hope that those of you who are celebrating today, have a wonderful day, chock full of memory making moments.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin! I hope your day was good :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that Trevor through out that challenge... because I've read several posts that made me sit back and think... yeah... that is definitely something I should be thankful for. This post? Microwaves. Such a wonderful invention. Happy Thanksgiving Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's by far my favorite blog challenge ever.

      Delete
  3. Definitely thankful for fellow bloggers and definitely hope you don’t stop blogging. I definitely enjoy ready your posts, but don’t always have the chance to reply. Keep at it! Happy Thanksgiving Jon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Ryan! I hope that you and the family had a great day too.

      Delete
  4. Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! I hope that yours was full of happiness as well :)

      Delete
  5. Jon, I'm thankful for you. You have "virtual" friends in blogland, and I count you among mine. You've cheered me often, offered words of wisdom and shared many great stories here. In those times you've taken a few weeks away, I missed you. I hope you and your mom have a good Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and I am grateful for that, virtual friends are certainly better than no friends. As for the day itself, I spent most of it putzing around outside in the sun, which always makes for a good day.

      Delete
  6. Very thoughtful and profound, great post Jon! It reminds me a bit of my gf who sometimes laments about how her life could be better. I remind her that even though our lives may be far from perfect, there are still people out there who would love to trade places with us. Even before quarantining for the past 260 days, we didn't have much of a social life but we still try to stay positive. Health issues have also been gradually increasing as we age. But from my point of view, this post is still a winner. It reaffirms that with determination we can make this life more liveable. Gotta give thanks for that. You have a good Thanksgiving, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm well aware that things could be much worse for me, our country, and the planet itself; it just isn't always easy trying to keep things in perspective. Thanks for all the kind words, Andy! As positive as you always are, I would have to imagine that you and your family had a wonderful day. Hopefully they know how lucky they are to have you in their lives :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you too, John!

      Delete
  8. Hope you had a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was as safe as just about any day could be, hard to catch the Rona when you're just putzing around out in the middle of nowhere.

      Delete
  9. Happy Thankgiving! Glad to have you here among the blogs.
    Your blogger friend,
    Bo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Bo! I hope that all was well in the Rosny household this past Thursday :)

      Delete
  10. I do understand that some families aren't all close and friendly, and some family members are toxic and/or destructive. My wife had a great father while mine was a worthless drunk. I love most of my family and I cant handle most of hers.

    And I definitely know the feeling that the blogging community feels like the best friends we have. We check in (almost) every day, share our thoughts with folks who have similar interests, and there is very little (if any) criticism. It's the most welcoming place I've found online, without a doubt. So even if you lose interest in card collecting from time to time, I do hope that you'll post whatever you want, whenever you want, because it is cathartic.

    Also, I have noticed that negative energy at times and I hope you are able to be positive as you mentioned. Certainly wouldn't expect you to fake it when you're not feeling it. I just hope you feel more hopeful in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last sentence in the first paragraph made me laugh. My dad wasn't much of a drinker, but sure wasn't very good at being a dad.

      I hadn't really thought of it that way until you mentioned it, but yeah, I'm sure a lot of bloggers interact with each other more frequently than they do with most of their family and closest 'real' friends. And it's definitely welcoming, I should know, they let me in!

      I've been dealing with another bout of depression the last couple of weeks, which I think might be showing itself in some of my recent posts. I try not to let it invade this space, but am not always successful with that.

      Delete
  11. I can associate myself with the toxic family part,that's mine. Even though I speak highly of my father as a collector, as a person well.. not a role model. None of my family is. My wife's family on the other hand is. Thankful for that.

    If you ever need someone to talk to I am here.

    But agree the blogosphere definitely the friendliest group out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad led a very interesting life, but as a dad he wasn't so great, and definitely wasn't a role model. I think I'm past the marrying age, but if I were ever able to find somebody, I could only hope that her family would be the polar opposite of mine.

      And thanks for always offering to be there, even if I don't take you up on it, it is nice to know that there are options :)

      Delete