Monday, November 2, 2020

Secret Santa 2020?

                             

As many of you know, this about the time that we usually get the sign-ups going for the annual blogger Secret Santa. However, as the host of this event for the last two years, I can't help but wonder if we should take a rain check (snow check?) this year, what with all of the turmoil that has already occurred, and will most likely continue to occur.

I know that this is very popular event (I've already received three emails asking about it), and thought of canceling it, especially now five years in, might not sit well with some, so I thought I'd try to get some feedback from past participants, or anyone else who would've been looking to participate this year?

From my perspective, I have a couple of concerns about running it this year, some of which are: 

1). I know that a few of our past participants have had some financial woes this year, and I don't want them to feel like they have to join, and possibly spend money that could've been used better elsewhere. Conversely, I don't want anyone to feel bad for having to sit out because they couldn't afford to participate this year. Our $10 spending limit might not seem like a lot to some, but this year in particular it could be quite a bit for others.

2). I know for a fact that many of our past participants have been much busier than normal with work this year, and just might not have the time, or energy, to play along this year.

3). A number of people probably live in areas that still have various restrictions in place, meaning that they could potentially be very limited in where they can look for, and purchase, their giftee's present. I know that a lot of shows still aren't up and running, and there's even some shops that are still closed. Pretty much everyone knows of the problems over at COMC, so they won't be an option this year. Which for some, sort of just leaves eBay and Sportlots. eBay's had it's share of problems this year too, so depending on the seller, this might not be the best option either. It also doesn't help that a large contingent of people have taken up 'collecting' again, which has driven up prices, and caused demand that has been greater than the supply.

4). We all know that the USPS has had issues this year, and with more people likely shopping online this season, these problems may intensify as we get closer to Christmas. To my knowledge, there's never been a lost package during the Secret Santa. I know for a fact that it has happened in the last two years, and I don't recall hearing about it happening during the previous two years under Matt's watch. This is probably my biggest concern for this year, as a lost/stolen package or two could really derail what has traditionally been a relatively problem-free event, and I really dislike the thought of taking a chance on such a thing.

So, like I said, I'd very much like to hear the thoughts/opinions of the rest of you. Are my concerns valid, or am I just being overly cautious? And of course too, if anyone thinks that I am wrong for not wanting to run it this year, they are more than welcome to take over the hosting duties, and if wanted, I will be happy to assist in any way possible. I've seen that a few Secret Santa's are going to happen on Twitter, so it is entirely possible that any and all of my concerns are unfounded, or unjust, but I can't know this unless someone says otherwise.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

11 comments:

  1. I'm going to sit this one out. Not so much because of the pandemic but because I've now had multiple years of choosing gifts that I thought the recipient would appreciate and hearing no response back from said recipient.
     
    The stack of PWEs I mailed out recently were meant to be Christmas gifts, but too many of y'all were filling sets too fast so I sent them early. 

    Hopefully there will be enough participants to keep this tradition going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear your concerns and find them to be very valid for many people. I think each point is valid for someone, and each person is affected by one or more points. I have been fortunate. If you do not cancel, I will participate, but if you do, I will not be upset by it (one less thing to stress about around the holidays). Thanks for the post, I hadn't even thought about it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd completely understand not hosting Secret Santa this year, but if you go ahead with it, I'd still be in. I used COMC for my past Secret Santa shopping but there's more than enough cards available from other sources that I should still be able to put a good gift together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Jon, your concerns are valid. It's quite the 'on-taking' and you've been grand to do it. I was actually going to participate this year. Should you decide to host, I'm in as well. If Santa takes a vacation this year, who could blame him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might have sat out last year... and probably will again should you decide to host it. There's just too many things on my plate and adding one more won't be good. But I'm still gonna try and send out some PWE's during the holidays. Whatever you do... I think it's awesome that you've hosted it the past two years. It's always entertaining to read everyone's posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely valid concerns, Jon, I would also understand if think it best to take a "snow" check.

    But fwiw, this situation reminds me of my situation as a fantasy baseball commissioner on TCDb. I wasn't really feeling it because the season had been delayed and there was a strong possibility that the season could later be cancelled. I was thinking that continuing with fantasy baseball could be waste of my time and the time of others. But one manager remarked that during these dark times, fantasy baseball would bring a little bit of normalcy into his life. And it dawned on me that this was a very compelling reason to move forward and continue playing fantasy baseball. I know there's some significant differences between fantasy baseball and Secret Santa (especially financially) but I think bringing back a little bit of normalcy back to people's lives is a good reason to continue the tradition.

    In any case, if it is a go then I'm definitely in. And Jon, if you'd like some assistance, my hand is raised.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to take part but it would have to be someone who collects NBA, NHL or NASCAR. The place i did my shopping in every previous year closed in December so the owner could replace it with coffee shops. Cards last appeared on retail shelves here in may or June so I couldn't even grab a pack to send out. So I will have to pull from my own stash of stuff. If I get someone who only does baseball or football I won't have anything to send them because I have no access at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd still participate, but I know it's a big undertaking and all of your points make sense. If you have it, I'll do it. If not, no issues from me either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm good either way. The way things are now, I don't live near a card shop and retail has had empty shelves since all this began. I'd have to take my chances online regardless. If you host it, I'm in. If you don't, I won't lose any sleep over it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get where you're coming from. I usually use COMC but I'm not getting my order from them until January.
    Sportlots works if I do box shipment.
    I might have to sit this one out. Hopefully next year will be better

    ReplyDelete
  11. I havent ever joined, only because of shipping and not to mention I do a lot of other shipping this time of year, but it makes me sad seeing the comments on here and people not being able to do it this year. You made great points though but I enjoyed seeing everyone's gifts on their blog

    ReplyDelete