Saturday, February 6, 2021

COMC football dump

                                          
It's been awfully cold again down here in the land of Sleeves this past week. One would think that being stuck inside because of the cold would be conducive to "writing" blog posts, and it may be for some, but not me. I get restless when I'm stuck inside, and restlessness is the enemy of sitting down and doing anything, hence no posts this week.

I've also been in a bit of a funk again, probably brought on by the cold, but nobody came here to hear about that, so in more positive news, I received two orders from Sportlots this week, and saints be praised, the cards in both orders came in the condition they were described (a rarity for me!). I was so pleased with both orders, that I even went ahead and placed another larger one a couple of nights ago. I also sold a semi-rare DVD within just a few hours of listing it on eBay two days ago, which was extremely nice, if only because the proceeds will pay for my three Sportlots orders, and leave enough to cover the shipping for a couple of bubble mailers that I need to send out. Oh, and a somewhat hard to find Cliff Robinson (from his playing day) popped up on COMC (first one to ever to do so) yesterday, and I scooped it up within hours of it doing so! Now that I'm typing all of this out loud, I guess it wasn't that bad of a week after all, it just seems like it was.

Anyway, I don't know if ya'll have heard or not, but the BiG gAmE is tomorrow, and as per usual, it means very little to me. I have no plans to sit and waste an entire afternoon (especially one that is supposed to be slightly warmer) watching a football game (or any other modern sporting event), and because of political or social justice reasons, I just have other things that I want to do, active moving around things. I will however honor the occasion by doing a football card related post though, but since it's going to be nice outside today too, I'm not gonna waste a lot of time working on it this morning, so I'm gonna go ahead and use this Saturday, when presumably no one will be reading the blogs, to dump my misc. football scan folder; all of which came from my 2019 COMC shipment, yeah, 2019!

I had quite a bit of football in that 2019 shipment, which I broke down into four categories, vintage, 90's, color matching, and misc. The vintage portion made it onto the blog a long time ago (you could probably look for it if you really cared), but I've been extremely slow to cover the other three. The 90's and color matching folders haven't been edited yet, so that only leaves the miscellaneous stuff, which by the way is most certainly the least interesting of the bunch, and looking at them now, I wouldn't have even bothered to show them had I not spent the time scanning, but I did, and I don't want it to be for naught, so...

It seems like years ago now, and I guess technically it was, but geez was I all in on the 2018 Classics set, or more specifically, the parallels. I suppose I'm still big on it, I just haven't gotten any more since this shipment, and don't even recall when I last looked for any was.

Bo Jackson's modern cards don't do a whole lot for me, and looking at it now, I don't think I would've gotten this insert if I had it to do over again. It is die-cut, which is usually fun, but the die-cuttiness on this one is kinda lame.

Before finally becoming more focused on what I'm collecting last year, I had a tendency to fall in and out of love with things, and while I was in with them, I would often go a bit overboard in my attempt to acquire them. I had a brief infatuation with the 2015 Topps Tek purple parallels, and got a few in a very short period (probably over one evening).



Given how cheap they were, well, all except for Tommy here, I don't have any regrets in buying them, but I don't think that I'll be buying too many more (unless I come across some more cheap Barry Sanders', as I kind of want to get a full page of those). I've seen a lot of talk in recent months about acetate cards from the 90's starting to get gross (yellow), and even though none of mine have ever done that, I've still begun to hesitate some when it comes to purchasing any more, just in case. I don't know if modern acetate cards are made any differently, but I'm not looking add to many more of them to the collection either, just in case.

With there being hundreds of parallels in every single set these days, I'm not even bothering for the most part to try and remember and/or learn what is what anymore, I just go by aesthetics. If it looks good, and it's cheap, I'll get it; which is what I did with this nifty Earl Campbell! I know that it comes from the 2018 Black Friday set, but other than that, I just know it as the "199" parallel. 

I don't collect Eli Manning in the least, but I had a blue and a green version of this card, so apparently I had to get a red as well. Make sense?

I had the blue and green versions of this card too, so of course a red was necessary, right? The only difference this time is that while I don't actively collect Gronk, I do set his cards aside when I come across them. 

This one is so-so, but I do have the purple version currently sitting in my COMC account, and that my friends is quite spectacular.

Eric Dickerson is one of those retired guys that seems to have a lot of modern cards, way too many to collect all of, so I just stick to the scraps. Tired of 2015 Prizm yet? I can't hear you of course, but if you answered, yes, well, good news; this was the last of them. 

Staying with Prizm, but going back a year, we've got a couple more ED's. I don't have my cards of his cataloged yet, but I've gotta have at least 6 or 7 of parallels now, and probably duplicates of a few as well.

There are a couple of cards in this post that I wouldn't bought today, but this final 2014 Prizm offering isn't one of them, even after a couple of years I still really dig this card, and wouldn't mind getting a few more copies.

So there it is, definitely not one of my better posts (I did warn you in advance though), but they can't all be sunshine and lollipops. I can however promise that next week's two will be much better, I've got a baseball post planned (but not written) for Tuesday, and McKay's recap for Thursday, so in other words, one for you, and one for me :)

22 comments:

  1. Was hoping to see some big shoulder pad eric Dickerson cards and was not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an oddly specific thing to want to see!

      Delete
  2. I don't write many/any football card posts, but I did write one today on ~45-year old football cards and will post on Monday. Sounds like we were thinking the same thing today. I'm watching the game tomorrow for the food and commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it, as I'm sure it'll be much more enjoyable for folks than this post was.

      Delete
  3. Eric Dickerson hated the Rams and played about the same amount with the Colts. But now it's all - Eric Dickerson, legendary Rams running back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue and yellow unis look better on cards than blue and white, at least that's my theory anyway.

      Delete
  4. Those Topps Tek cards look like they would be pretty shiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white that you're seeing in the scans is the top of the scanning tray showing through the acetate. These purple ones aren't very shiny, but some of the other Tek parallels are.

      Delete
  5. I had never seen Topps Tek football cards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some parallels, and are for the most part pretty affordable. It's good option for player/team collectors who are looking to spice things up a bit.

      Delete
  6. Well...well...well..lol. I don't have either copies of that Eli Manning and love that Giants prizm parallel of Gifford. Overall, great pickups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot more Giants content in this post than normal, wasn't there?

      Delete
  7. I enjoy all Eric Dickerson cards but there is something about that retro Rams uniform that really pops - just like on the Henry Ellard Classics card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. And looking at it again now, I see that the Ellard probably should've went into the color matching folder.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yeah, too bad it couldn't have been a little better though. On the bright side, a few more Bo cards came in the other day, much more interesting cards, and if all goes well I'll have them up on the blog sometime in the next couple of weeks or so.

      Delete
  9. Hope things warm up for you and you're able to get out of that funk. Congratulations on selling that semi-rare dvd. Was it a movie you bought at one of the stores you write about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I! And yes, it was gotten at a thrift store a few years back. I knew it was hard to find when I bought it, and always kind of knew that I might sell it at some point (it's not one of my favorite movies), and because of that I never posted about it.

      Delete
  10. That Marshall Faulk card is sweet! He was such a good player!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was. He seems to be mostly forgotten too, which seems odd to me given that his prime years weren't really that long ago.

      Delete