Tuesday, February 16, 2021

There's no need to feel guilty

Did you ever go through your parents closet when you were a kid? 

Did you you ever sneak into your sister's room and read her diary?

Have you ever gone through someone's medicine cabinet while using their restroom? 

Have you ever gone through your significant others purse/wallet?

Do you go through your co-workers desks?

Have you ever house sat for someone, and spent part of that alone time rifling through everything they own?

If honest, most people would admit to doing at least one of these things in their lifetime. Whether it be simple curiosity, insecurity, the want to learn secrets, lack of trust issues, needing to gain power, or just to see how someone else lives; humans are prone to snooping (to snoop is human?), and will do so for a whole host of reasons.

I can honestly say that I've never done any of the above things, why not I couldn't possibly say for certain. Maybe I learned from an early age that one shouldn't be doing such things? Maybe I learned to respect other people's boundaries at an early age? Maybe I've just never cared what other people are doing when I'm not around? Or maybe... I'M NOT HUMAN... dun dun duuuun! 

Perhaps it's just a combination of all of the above? I certainly remember hearing friends talking about going through their parents closets looking for Christmas presents, and on occasion finding more than they bargained for. And we've all heard shock jocks giving away Papa Roach tickets to the caller who's found the most shocking thing in someone else's house. I''ll listen to such stories in small quantities, but have never been able to relate to them. I think that as a kid I just didn't care enough to snoop, and as an adult, I'm of the mindset that the less I know about most people, the better! Usually the more I learn about someone, the more disappointed I am in them. 

Now with all of that being said, I do have one juicy confession to make... I enjoy going through pockets! I know, I know, but before you judge me too harshly, hear me out. These pockets I speak of aren't just anybody's pockets, they're Julie's pockets, and they're not even real pockets, they're virtual Pockets! And what's more, she encourages the going through of her virtual pockets, and not just by me, but by all of her friends. Also, it's important to point out that those pockets are full of cards, so, you know, a fellow can only resist for so long.

I don't always find quite as many goodies as some of my fellow Pocket searchers, but I do usually come up with a few cards worth claiming...

We led off with Junior swingin' for the fences, and now we've got Junior tracking someone else's long-ball attempt.

I'm not quite as enamored with past greats on current cardboard as I used to be, but there are a few guys that I still don't mind being immortalized on a regular basis, and Lou is one of them. The A&G card is nice, if only because it's easy to date the photo to 1938 thanks to that great '39 World's Fair patch.

Dick Groat is someone that I'm really starting to collect hard (I don't ever have to worry about getting his rookie though), and I hadn't seen his Swell offering before, so this was kind of a must have.

I started collecting Vlad last year, and have stopped doing so this year. He's just got too many darn cards, and I don't need another huge collection of base cards from sets that I don't like (which a lot of his come from). I'll still keep the inserts and parallels, and will probably pick up some more if I ever start going to shows again, but no more base cards... unless they're really good looking like this one!

After finishing up my big sort last year, I found that I had close to half of this Kid Gloves insert set, all of which had been acquired via dime boxes, and because I had so many, I decided to passively try and complete it. And by passively I mean that I won't go out of my to look for them, but will grab them if they present themselves before me like Scott here did.

He might need to be replaced at some point, but until then I'm quite content with this lovely Hostess holding place in my humble, almost never talked about, Dagoberto Campaneris collection.

Remember what I said about Lou, yeah well, it applies to Don too.

Start with Junior, end with Junior, or rather two Juniors... sounds good to me! 2005 Donruss Greats is a set that ha apparently been flying under my radar, for these extras that Julie through in proved to be my introduction to the set. It's pretty neat that they included two of his three stops that year, and maybe they've got him as a White Sock too, I don't know I haven't looked yet. I really like the look of these, my scanner on the other hand didn't seem to care too much for them. They were also scanned out of order, which is bugging me something fierce now, but they've been put in the binder, and I'm not gonna go through the trouble to rescan them in the right order.

Many thanks to Julie for allowing me to be like everyone else and do some snooping, and what's more, for allowing me to do so and not feel guilty about it.

21 comments:

  1. $430? For a Dick Groat card? Yeah, that's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know! Even ungraded copies are selling for over $300.

      Delete
  2. I remember hiding in my parent's closet when I was a kid... and maybe I snooped around. I also remember digging through my dad's miscellaneous drawer, because he stored batteries there. The rest of the stuff you listed would be a firm no. Like I'm sure I've opened up a medicine cabinet at someone's house, but not because I was being nosy. I was probably grabbing a bandaid or some floss.

    P.S. That Campy is sweet. I really should actively try to track down my A's and Padres Hostess cards from the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should've noted that there is a difference between intentional snooping and incidental noticing of things like in the situations that you described. It's been so long since I've been in someone else's home, that I forgot such scenarios could occur.

      I don't think that too many of those have gone up in price (at least ungraded copies), so other than the Reggie Jackson's, I can't imagine it would set you back too much to do so.

      Delete
  3. Closet? Yep.
    Medicine Cabinet? Yep.
    Coworker's desk? Yep.

    I'm as snoopy as Charles Schulz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? This reveal surprises me greatly, I wouldn't have pegged you as the sort to do such things.

      Delete
    2. When I'm working late and don't have any snacks, the scrounger in me comes out!

      Delete
  4. Yes to the first, no to the rest. Great segue to Julie's pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would've turned out better if someone with more talent had wrote it, but it was the best I could do so, I'll take the compliment.

      Delete
  5. I don't have any snooping history that I can recall, but I do enjoy the pick pockets page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely snooped on some Christmas presents in the 5th grade range. I remember finding a GameBoy game I was getting for Christmas, and a year or so later one of those big card re-pack boxes from Sam's Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that a lot of kids did that, but I never could. I mean I was curious to know what was coming, but don't think I would've had what it took to pull off the fake surprise on Christmas morning.

      Delete
  7. Yes on #1. No on the rest, however I did steal $5.00 from my sister Kathy when I was 8 years old and started my first business with it (which ultimately funded my 2nd business). That 1st business ran until 2008 (when I didn't renew my 2nd hand dealers license). I hadn't actively sold anything for that 1st biz since 2005 so I figured it was time to stop wasting the fees attached. No, I don't feel guilty, and I long ago bragged to that sister what I had done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm sort of curious to know what these two businesses were, especially one that could be started with just five bucks?

      Delete
  8. All over.that kids gloves. Love it!

    And I may have done one of those or more before sadly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an alright looking set, terribly cheap too, so easy to build.

      Delete
  9. Love the Vladimir Guerrero card. Always have a soft spot for the UD Masterpieces sets and have spent a lot of time and money on those cards. There are many reasons to miss Upper Deck baseball cards, that ranks high on my list. The Kids Glove card is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really nice set, if I had any interest in returning to set building, and wanted to do a modern one, that's one that I'd seriously consider.

      Delete
  10. Fun post, Jon. You're a creative fellow! Snoop? Innocent, little ole me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have some creative thoughts, but they rarely translate well to blog form.

      Delete