Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Not bad for four bits

There was a time when I lived within thirty minutes of half a dozen (or more) antique malls, and with me being a fan of antique malls, this was a good thing. Nowadays I live within thirty minutes of just one, which has been a bit of an adjustment, but thankfully for me, and everyone else in the general vicinity, this particular antique mall just so happens to be really, really good. It also doesn't hurt that the fellow who owns it is a stand-up guy as well.

Despite it's goodness, I usually only go in there about once every three months or so, if only because it's a little out of the way. Because of this, and because I know that I'll want to have a sufficient amount of time blocked out to look through everything, I will normally go on a morning where I don't have anything else that needs to be done. I switched things up though a couple of Saturdays ago, when I realized that one of the errands I was running had put me within a mile or so of the mall, and decided to stop in for a quick impromptu visit.

It's not uncommon for me to spend two hours at this place on those days when I have nowhere else to be, but on this day, when I had more stops to make, and wanted to be home by lunch, I figured that at best I'd have 20 minutes to hit a couple of the better booths. In other words, it was gonna be like a real-life version of Supermarket Sweep, minus the screaming banshees.

Having now been going to this place for almost six years, I'm very familiar with which booths switch out their wares on a regular basis, and which ones don't. So my goal was to hit at least four of the better ones, aka the ones with ever changing inventory. This goal was not achieved, for on my way to my favorite booth, I was distracted by some shiny objects in a plastic tray that was sitting on top of the glass case...

As it turned out, those shiny objects were 1964 Topps Coins, with a few 71's mixed in as well. This was quite the surprise, for this booth has never had anything of interest to me before. I'm terrible about trying to estimate things, but I'd say that there were around 40 coins total, most of which unfortunately were in abysmal condition. That isn't that uncommon though, as folks didn't have fancy ways to store these back when they came out, so they were often just stored in a bag, or a sack some sort. After sometimes spending decades rubbing against each other, and more normal than not to find them with their finish worn off in places, or even altogether. Rust seems to be fairly common too, most likely from moisture in the air (humidity). 

Pete Ward is a Portland guy, well sort of, he moved there during childhood and went to high school there. He even came back to coach after his playing days had ended. This makes him collectible to me. I have most of his Topps run, but didn't have this coin. It's missing a bit of the finish around the rim, as well as a little on the back, but overall was one of the better conditioned coins.

Aside from home runs and on base percentage, Pete set career highs across the board in 1963. Had a pretty good year in '64 as well, then came the car accident and subsequently mistreated neck injury, followed by a back injury, both occurring in '65. He'd play for five more seasons, but never got back to his pre-injury level.

Saint Ron's finish is completely gone, but the coin doesn't look overly bad because of it.

Unlike Pete, Ron would top all but two of the career numbers that he had set in 1963, the 187 hits, and .313 batting average, would remain career highs for him. '63 also him selected to the first of what would become 9 All-Star appearances.

The prices on the coins were all over the place, most seemed a bit high to me, especially given their conditions. These two however, set me back a whopping 50¢ apiece. That I could dig!

The coin booth also had some cards for the first time as well (they're hot don't cha know), which I wasted too much time going through, and then only made it to two other booths before my self-allotted time ran out. I had a good time though, got a couple of neat things, and didn't have to break the bank to get them. This also marked the first time that I've seen any Topps Coins in the wild, other than at card shows, since I moved to TN... hopefully it won't be the last!

And finally, on a completely unrelated note: Ryan has started up a rather unique Blog Bat-Around, and is looking for participants. Given how many creative people populate the blogs, this could potentially turn into quite the thing, so if you haven't done so already, you might want to go see what's what while there's still time.

12 comments:

  1. Nice coins! I'd have been all over those for 50 cents each too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally I would've gotten more, but two was certainly better than none.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finding some coins for your collection. Wasn't familiar with Ward... but I'm familiar with the other guy. Can't wait to get back to Portland eventually. Miss my friends and I heard it might snow there tomorrow. Oh wait... forgot you're not a fan.

    I'm excited to participate in Ryan's BBA... but I have no idea what I'm gonna write about yet. Although... who doesn't enjoy writing about 70's football cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they'll still be some places for you to go whenever it is that you do finally get back there, things are changing in Portland, and not for the better.

      It'll be fun to try and come up with something, although I must admit that I'm kind of disappointed that more of our fellow bloggers haven't signed up yet.

      Delete
  3. Nice! I have a few coins like this, and my biggest thing is that I don't have any idea what to do with them. Right now they are sort of in a box that is the equivalent of misfit toys in my collection. But I do think they are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people store them in cardboard coin holders, or occasionally those coin/token pages.

      Delete
  4. My dad has some of the 1970 coins, and I kind of like them. I find them mildly disconcerting though. They're in a 3,000 card box with other cards, and they slide around and clink against each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was collecting both of the vintage sets up until just a few years ago, but kind of fell out of love with them as a whole. I'll still pick up guys that I collect, but don't have any interest accumulating large quantities of them anymore.

      Delete
  5. I have never gone after any of the 1964 coins, but I did like when Topps brought these back in the 1980s. I bought a box of these a few years back at a card show for next to nothing. Fun little collectable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the mid-90's, Toys 'R' Us had baseball card grab bags that were made up of a bunch of different packs, and they always had a pack or of two 80's coins in them. I had a quite a few at one time, all gotten from those grab bags, but don't own any now.

      Delete
  6. Certainly 50 cents is fair in just about any condition. I have that Santo as well as the All-Star version. That's it for 1964. I collected the 1971 coins when they came out and still have a bunch. I sold some of the better ones six years ago. Silly, but I do like the clinking sound. I still have them (minus the Santo) in an old jelly jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sound they make when clinking together is very distinct, and not altogether unpleasant, so I can easily see why someone would enjoy it.

      Delete