Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Coming soon

I really enjoy giving stuff away. It's probably my favorite thing to do with/through the blog. Trying to come up with clever ways to do so isn't always easy though, I mean I've got plenty of ideas, but figuring out how to implement most of those ideas has proven to be another matter altogether. The majority of them seem to be beyond my current mental capacity. Free Stuff Friday was a simple idea, and worked really well too, but I'm a bit burned out on it -- packaging up things for upwards of twenty people is lot of work! I haven't given up on my baby yet, but going forward will probably only bring it back for special occasions.

All that being said, I think I may have come up with another easy way to put free things into the hands of people who actually want said things. I'm not entirely sold on the name yet, but for the moment I'm calling it "Flash Freebie". The idea is basically to just put up a card (it may expand beyond cards depending on how this goes over) - a card that people will actually want, and that's worth using a stamp on - with a trivia question underneath it, and the first person to correctly answer it, gets the card. The question may pertain to the card, the player, or be completely random. And for those who don't think that they're good at trivia, the answers to these questions will all be easily findable via the interwebz. Some may wonder what the point of the questions is then, my reply being that I'd like people to have to do more than just scroll down to the comments and say "TAKE!!!!!!".

The plan is to do these at very random times of the day, hence the "Flash". So one might pop up at 5pm on a Monday, and two weeks later another could drop at 3am on a Thursday (I guess I'll have to finally figure out how to use the scheduling feature). I'm hoping that the randomness in times will add to the fun, though I can see how some might become annoyed by it.

There may be a few catches from time to time, like if it's something that I deem to be pretty good, I might say that only people who have commented on a post in the last 30 days are eligible for that particular card, or some other similar stipulation. Such qualifiers will be printed in red, so that they'll be easily noticed. The only other rule will be that your answer has to be in your first comment. So no saying "TAKE!!!", and then coming back a minute or two later to reply to that with your answer. I suppose I might have to make it so the same person can't win every time too, but I'll see how it goes before making any such stipulation.

I would imagine the interest will vary from freebie to freebie, depending on what's being given away, but as already mentioned, I will try to make sure that it's something people would want, multiple people would be ideal, but everyone has different tastes, so that might not always be very easy to arrange.

Oh, and even though these will be occurring at random intervals, I'll give you a small hint regarding the very first one... it'll be happening some time next week :)

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Always pushing the envelope, aren't you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's pushing the envelope per se, so much as it is me trying to figure out something that'll keep my interest in blogging/collecting up (both have waning a bit).

      Delete
  2. Very generous of you - looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am terrible at trivia and dont' have a fast hand in getting on here on time and googling lol. But, I will sit back and see how others do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, one could drop while your perusing the blogs, and you'd be right on top of it?

      Delete
  4. I'll TAKE you at your word, Jon. Love your generosity and innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun idea. It is a shame that those of us who offer giveaways have to come up with all kinds of restrictions so the vultures don't swoop in and TAKE the good stuff without reading or commenting on any prior posts.

    I like the idea of a trivia question, even if (especially if?) it's not related to the card being offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our generosity that makes us such easy targets. Thankfully there aren't as many of the vultures hanging around the blogs as there used to be -- most of them have migrated to the trendier social media platforms.

      I'm thinking that they'll be more player related, but I might throw some real unrelated oddball stuff out there for some of the "better" things.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. No, not in the least... but it did sound nice though :)

      Delete
  7. Should be fun...the randomness will make it exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that the randomness of the cards will do so as well.

      Delete