Saturday, July 14, 2018

Buybacks, buybacks, and more buybacks

My infatuation with buybacks has been waning for the last couple of months, I can't really explain why it has exactly, I just know that my interest level isn't anywhere near what it was two years ago when I started my frankenset.

With that in mind, it seems kind of ironic that I would now stumble upon a proverbial mother lode at the show two weeks ago.

I found the first couple in Jim's 5/$1 boxes, upon seeing me pull them out, Jim mentioned that he had added quite a few to his dime boxes. Eventually I got over to those dime boxes, and "quite a few" was right, all in all, I ended up with 158 of them.

I knew when I was adding all of these to my pile, that I would most likely not be keeping too many of them, but since a lot of other folks seem to be collecting buybacks now, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to find some interested parties. Initially I only had 3 or 4 other people in mind, but after showing the picture above on Twitter, a number of other people came forward and asked if I had any of this team or that team, for most part I did, so why not spread the wealth out a little more. Plus, as I was going through them a little more thoroughly, I noticed some that I thought might appeal to a few more people, so that ended up dividing the pile up even more. When all was said and done, 147 (I took out 11 for myself) buybacks have been split up and are (and will be) sent out to 18 different people... not too shabby for a days work!

Not wanting to show all of these, I thought instead I would just show the eleven that, for the moment, I am tentatively keeping -- tentatively being the key word.

For what it's worth, I can now say that I own a Roberto Clemente buyback!

A pair of Hall of Famer's.

Higuera was the last name of one of my first best friends in life, so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Teddy's cards.

I was a big fan of Raul's when he was with Seattle, and I liked Jason when he was still with the Braves.

Remember when pulling a McGwire card was a big deal? Seems like a lifetime ago doesn't it?

With the stamp, it makes this card look like it says Rediscover dinals... which makes me laugh!

Among all the Topps Rediscover cards, I found three A&G buybacks as well. This one was the only one that I had planned on keeping.

To anyone who's getting some of this horde from me, stay tuned, as you might end up getting more in a couple of months should I decide that my interest in buybacks truly is no more [spoiler alert: I am really leaning in that direction].


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

16 comments:

  1. A Betelgeuse buyback! Now I've seen it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, between this one and your toilet card, I believe everything has indeed been seen.

      Delete
    2. Nick... you took the words right off of my keyboard.

      Delete
  2. Thanks again for sending those 'Stros my way! The pair of cards you led off the post with are really nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought some buybacks for the first time in a while as well. Good variety in what you found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the stuff was from the late 80's, so I'm guessing that you ended up with more variety than I did, no matter how many you bought,

      Delete
  4. Buybacks can be cook pc pieces. Something a tad different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's how most people view them.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking for 1969 Tiger buybacks. THE needle in THE haystack. Cool find Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I know that, I will certainly be keeping an eye out for any.

      Delete
    2. that is truly appreciated!!! :)

      Delete
  6. I used to dislike Buybacks, but something about them is now intriguing me. Kind of like breathing new life into an old card that would likely have been recycled. I wonder who gets the job at Topps of going to chase down all these cards or if they have a huge stash somewhere they can pull from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that, especially with overproduced era, they have a stash somewhere -- as I can't imagine somebody having to go out and buy a couple of thousand cards on the secondary market.

      Delete
  7. I've kept an eye out for buybacks but haven't found any that cheap. 5/$1 is a great deal, especially for names like these. And the Betlegeuse buyback is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only around ten of them were 5/$1, the rest were 10 cents each.

      Delete