Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The best of the rest: part 1

With the possibility of me attending this upcoming Saturday's card show, I thought it might be a good idea to hurry up and finish showing the stuff from the last one.

The title's a bit misleading though, as this post (and the next post) will contain all of the odds and ends that didn't fit in with all of the other recaps that I've already done.

Since I know that lot of you do not like basketball, I've split these posts up specifically for your benefit, so this one will contain baseball, football, and a few other things. Part 2 will be all basketball (mostly 90's), so consider yourselves warned.

These guys are good at the baseball :)

The Dan Fouts up in the top left hand corner is a pretty interesting card, it comes from a 1989 set called All Time Great Quarterbacks which was produced by Channel 4 Television (from the UK). It's only a 20-card set, but they sure are attractive. The Franco Harris Wonder Bread is an upgrade (Anybody want my old one?), and I found a bunch of '83 Topps stickers as well.

I had never heard of, nor seen, 1999 Donruss Preferred QBC before, which seems like a shame, 'cause these are some really cool cards.

It's been a while since I had come across any 2001 Upper Deck Heroes, so finding three that I needed was a pleasant surprise.

It's been almost a month and I still haven't looked into these, they're all serial numbered, and I'm assuming that Curtis Martin is a parallel... but that's as far as I've gotten.

These 1999 Pacific Pro Bowl Die-Cuts are yet another insert set that I had never seen, and at 50 cents a piece, I wasn't about to pass them up. It doesn't show in the scan, but the shininess of the lava is very pleasing to the eye (both of them even).

Everybody likes lenticular cards, right? I had never seen one of the Goodwin Champions Supernaturals in person before, apparently they have different tiers, Thor is a tier 4, which I'm assuming is good?

Here's some random base cards that look like inserts, as well as some actual inserts.

Some miscellaneous football. Lori is a Lime Rock promo. I keep finding the Stadium Club Metalists in Jim's dime boxes, it might be a sign that I'm supposed to be working on the set. The Frank Gifford insert is pretty cool too, even though it's technically not a refractor, but it still has the same qualities.

Ooh, shiny Pacific! Igor (Juan) Gonzalez is from the 1993 Pacific Prisms Jugadores Calientes (if that's wrong, blame COMC), which is a set that I am not familiar with at all.

More random inserts.

A couple of needed 2017 Archives inserts.

Even though I probably won't be keeping it, this is my first astronaut relic. $2 didn't seem too bad for a swatch that supposedly came from Robert Crippen.

This Giancarlo coin, as well as the next couple of cards, came from Jim's 2/$1 boxes. I bought a number of these kinds of things for my blogging friends (some of which have already been sent out), I also plan on starting a series of weekly mini-giveaways on Twitter, which is where this card(?) will be headed.

I don't care what anybody says...

... I really like these patches! I think I have like four or five from the set now, not that I'm actively collecting the set mind you.

This last one was gotten only because I had never seen one before, and I thought it was mildly interesting at the time. And just so nobody has to go look it up, this is a 2004 Upper Deck Play Ball Home Run Heroics. I can almost guarantee you that I will not be keeping this for too terribly long, but since I know at least two Dodgers collectors, and one Rickey Henderson collector, I can't imagine that it'll be very difficult to find someone who needs it.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

25 comments:

  1. Quite the haul! Your package arrived yesterday; I'm going to try and get a post up by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know that it got there.

      Delete
  2. I would love to work out something for the Rickey, not a Dodger collector but need it for my Rickey collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! My email is up in the profile, so I'll wait to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. That's quite the card show variety. Seems like a nice little haul you made out with. That Goodwin Supernaturals Thor card is a beauty.

    I also plan on starting a series of weekly mini-giveaways on Twitter.................. How do we find you there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a neat card, and it looks considerably better in person.

      @pennysleeves (sorry, I don't know how to add a link in the comments section). And where does one find you?

      Delete
  4. Oh man. Those 90's inserts and cards for football and baseball have me drooling. I have never seen those pro bowl inserts either but they look hot! You already knew my feelings for the astronaut card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure that you would've been more familiar with the Pro Bowl inserts. I really like them, and am hoping that I can find some more at future shows.

      Delete
    2. Usually that is the case. Those I haven't seen

      Delete
  5. Nice haul, some really cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so miss the days of Pacific cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just left a comment on some one else's blog a few days ago, in which I expressed the exact same sentiment. They were so far ahead of their time, and their creativity was (and still is) unrivaled.

      Delete
  7. Cool stuff. Love the stronaut memorabilia card and those 1983 Topps football stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't need anything else to collect, but I sort of feel compelled now to finish off that sticker set.

      Delete
    2. I've got a bunch of those available.

      Delete
  8. Lenticular cards are fantastic-I really should look for one to add to my collection. And the Pacific Pro Bowl inserts are neat, too. Love that lava flow at the top.

    I know Juan Gonzalez was nicknamed "Igor" but I never saw it used as his first name. Also I bought a blaster of 1999 Donruss Preferred QBC back in the day. It's an okay product, I got a bunch of bronze base cards which aren't as nice as the silver/gold ones you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lava is like the proverbial cherry on top.

      I didn't know what his middle name was, so the card kind of through me for a loop when I first saw it. I looked at the bronze cards, and you're right, they're not quite as attractive as the silver and gold's.

      Delete
  9. I love the old Pacific Pro Bowl Die-Cuts, but I'd never seen the volcano ones before. After checking COMC, it looks like I missed most of the ones from the '90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After getting these, I went checked COMC as well, and apparently I had never seen any of the Pro Bowl Die-Cuts from any year.

      Delete
    2. I put a pineapple one in my cart as soon as I saw them. :D

      Delete
    3. I didn't see those ones during my initial search, now that I have, I feel the need to acquire at least one!

      Delete
  10. I've been picking up the All-Star patches too. Great cards for the price point. ps...who's Mike Trout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun cards, and since most people don't seem to like them, they can usually be had for not very much money. Mike Trout indeed!

      Delete